Breathalysers in France

I caught snatches of an item on Radio 4 yesterday…from what I gathered,from July 1st this year,anyone driving in/through France will be required by law to carry a supply of disposable breathalysers to enable them to self test.Failure to do so carries a fine of 11 euros.

Additionally,it will be illegal to have speed camera alerts embedded in satnavs.

Has anyone else heard about these new laws ?

If George at Number 11 hears about this money for nothing scheme,you can bet it will be introduced over here pretty sharpish :wink:

Yes, I read it in the motoring section of the Saturday Observer.

It will become law in France after 1st July 2012 for motorists to carry a breathalyzer.
Single test breath kits will be sold at terminals and on ferries for about £1.50.

Russell.

I spoke to a Norby Dinglydangly french driver,and he has told me that the Gendarmarie have no power to enter your cab and verify your sat nav for speed camers.
When stopped in France,they only stand on the step of the cab,and out of mannerrs,i would open the door,shake their hand and speak french to them,then told to leave a few seconds later.
As for the Douanes,they can do what they want,a full trailer and cab turnout for hours,depending on your attitude.

To be fair, the self breath tests don’t sound immediately too ridiculous, occasionaly you may wonder if you are just over, at least with these, you can be sure, although alcohol does take time to circulate so your reading may go up after your own test.

Just more euro, jumped up clap trap BS though to keep some office workers employed somewhere making yet more rules, red tape and regulations.

Who cares if you have a speed camera detector, you have to be blind not to notice the static ones and have the reactions of superman to avoid a hidden mobile one even with a trap detector unless it cost like £2k.

This raises a whole can of worms:

What kind of breathalyser? - How would you know if the one you buy for 50p on fleabay is accurate or if it works at all?

Is one enough? - If you carry one and use it (after a night in the vino) you will be illegal - or will you since you still have it.

If you are stopped, will you be asked to use your own or a proper police one? - They couldn’t possibly prosecute on the evidence of an unapproved kit.

If I make something that looks like a breathalyser and show it to the cop, will that be sufficient?

Limits are lower in France so a British one wouldn’t show you as illegal while you might well be.

As an aside - are you aware that not only do you have to carry a high viz vest in France - it has to be in the car with you. It’s no good putting one in the boot.

Santa:

What kind of breathalyser? - How would you know if the one you buy for 50p on fleabay is accurate or if it works at all?

The accuracy is irrelevant as far as the law goes,it is there solely as an aid to the driver.You could always buy half a dozen and “calibrate” them next time you have a session :laughing:

The decision to drive is ultimately down to the driver.It is the old bills’ kit that will determine your fate.

As for how many to carry,it’s like tacho charts…sufficient…

Santa:

Look for breathalyzer kits marked with NF on the side, its the equivelent of the kite mark etc.
You will probably need to buy a 0.05 rated breathalyzer for use in france to comply with the local alcohol levels
[/quote]

Santa:
Is one enough? - If you carry one and use it (after a night in the vino) you will be illegal - or will you since you still have it.

its advisable to carry a minimum of 2 in case you are stopped and have to use one, this will then leave you with one to comply with the rule regarding carry a breathalyzer

Santa:
Limits are lower in France so a British one wouldn’t show you as illegal while you might well be.

I would assume that the correct breathlyzer for France will be marked with the 0.05 limit, likewise the UK version will be marked with 0.08

Santa:
As an aside - are you aware that not only do you have to carry a high viz vest in France - it has to be in the car with you. It’s no good putting one in the boot.

likewise you`re suposed to carry other items with you inc:
Spare spectacles (if you wear them)
a warning triangle

The fines for not carrying a breathalyzer will not be immediately imposed from July 1st when the breathalyzer rule kicks in, AFAIK its only after November 1st that you will get an immediate roadside fine for not carrying. Though I will probably be finding out if this is the case, as I roll off the ferry at Zeebrugge on July 2nd and heading down the A26 for my summer holiday on the bike

was posted on here over a month ago

Santa:

As an aside - are you aware that not only do you have to carry a high viz vest in France - it has to be in the car with you. It's no good putting one in the boot.

Could it not go in the glove-box - I doubt many people keep their driving gloves in there any more. Does anybody use driving gloves these days - you know, the string backed ones :question: :wink: :wink:

If you use one after every Stop,you may need a Family Pack,or buy it every Time you enter France.
The Police has there own.You just need them for yourself as in france gets Vino with Lunch.Not tea

mb14:
was posted on here over a month ago

Yep by me
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78843

Tankerman:

It will become law in France after 1st July 2012 for motorists to carry a breathalyzer.
Single test breath kits will be sold at terminals and on ferries for about £1.50.

Russell.

I don’t believe this, have you ever seen anything for sale in a ferry terminal for £1.50 especially something you need?

10-08:

Tankerman:

Russell.

I don’t believe this, have you ever seen anything for sale in a ferry terminal for £1.50 especially something you need?

Give them chance, it did say 1st July in the paper.

Russell.

Seems to be true, just found these to links

newser.com/story/140131/fren … atory.html

drinkingdiaries.com/2012/03/05/8707/

Thank god I always ship into Holland …just waiting for them to have the compulsory " self weed testing kit "

Hiya…just had a look on e bay, there are a few breathtesters for sale, they range from 99p upto
£200+ . some of them give a digical readout how much blood you’ve got in your alcohol (i know)
and can be used more than once…maybe a good idea for anywhere especially the morning after
a party or just a session
John

legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTex … e=20120701

The answer is simple. Buy them, and don’t drink. Gives them 1 less thing to look for IF you are stopped. I have never been stopped by the French police/ Gendarmes yet. Customs is a different affair though.

Tankerman:

Russell.

Soon for £ 7.5 as someone will sniff a buisiness :unamused:

As for speed detectors they are prohibited in France for long time now and I can not see anything wrong about it.

MisterStrood:
As for speed detectors they are prohibited in France for long time now and I can not see anything wrong about it.

It is simple to turn off the camera alerts on a TomTom. Full instructions on the website. If you have any other kind, that is your fault :wink: