Breaks

Fatboy slimslow:
…get yourself a dictaphone too and ask for it in writing!

I’ve got one of these, my mate asked to borrow it once - I said “bugger off and use your finger like everyone else”. :slight_smile:

Keep a diary,record all your drop and delay times ensuring they correspond to your tacho times.
If the TM is still not happy ask for him to arrange for someone to show you how they expect the job to be done to their liking.
Its an old ruse to get someone to do more.
Its like the TM saying Joe Bloggs has been and tipped and is on his way back,when Joe Bloggs is standing next to you having a cuppa still on his way to tip.
■■■■■■■■ comes to mind

It might have been hisMonthly just got a bit grumpy, but i would tell him that I have just spoken to Vosa, and they told me its illegal to take a break whilst working, i dont mind doing it your way boss, but i dont want a bollocking everytime the moods set in if it dont suit
In the meantime, look for pastures new.

Sounds like something my previous boss might of said , it was pretty much expected that breaks were taken whilst tipping / being loaded . , I’d imagine it’s pretty common practice amongst general haulage :unamused:
I’d start looking at pastures new :wink:

As a kid, many years ago, I worked in a traffic office. I was keen to impress and found what I thought was a couple of drivers skiving. The gaffer, a rare breed of very fair man, suggested I rode with one for a day to prove me right or wrong. God, how wrong I was!! The guy worked his backside off and had breaks virtually to the minute.

Since which time, I’ve always had top respect for drivers refusing to load/unload on their break. It’s illegal. Simple.

If the smelly stuff hits the rotating thing, VOSA would be interested in the facts.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

jay0:
Got a warning from the boss earlier because apparently I’m not getting enough work done everyday. I’m always on time for my first drop in the morning but I will usually pull in for a cup of tea at ten o clock for 15 mins and then pull in again for half an hour around 1 o clock for lunch. I do this everyday except when for when I’m sitting around waiting to be unloaded/loaded in which case I will take my breaks then.
I’m on curtainsider work so tacho goes on other work while being loaded/unloaded.
I’d like to know what everyone else does because the boss couldn’t come up with a solution other then have the breaks while being loaded/unloaded but this would mean that I would be working while on break which I’m completely against since I work 12-15 hours everyday.
Can anyone offer any advice because if I don’t improve In the next week or two I’m gone.
And I’ve got less then a years experience so finding another job could take some time.

if you just do what sat nav says that mite be the cause of your slow progress

bradfordlad9999:

jay0:
Got a warning from the boss earlier because apparently I’m not getting enough work done everyday. I’m always on time for my first drop in the morning but I will usually pull in for a cup of tea at ten o clock for 15 mins and then pull in again for half an hour around 1 o clock for lunch. I do this everyday except when for when I’m sitting around waiting to be unloaded/loaded in which case I will take my breaks then.
I’m on curtainsider work so tacho goes on other work while being loaded/unloaded.
I’d like to know what everyone else does because the boss couldn’t come up with a solution other then have the breaks while being loaded/unloaded but this would mean that I would be working while on break which I’m completely against since I work 12-15 hours everyday.
Can anyone offer any advice because if I don’t improve In the next week or two I’m gone.
And I’ve got less then a years experience so finding another job could take some time.

if you just do what sat nav says that mite be the cause of your slow progress

Nothing to do with the sat nav or slow progress I get as much done as anyone else In the company (going by the rules) and with the minimum of fuss.

@dipper dave there was no one else there and he’s not the type that would be trying to make himself look important.

Sounds like you have a choice to make. Either you want to fight for your current job. Or not.

My vote, after what you have described, would be not.

F-reds:
Sounds like you have a choice to make. Either you want to fight for your current job. Or not.

My vote, after what you have described, would be not.

I’m contemplating leaving for pastures new but im afraid I may be taking a step sideways or backwards.
I imagine the companies that have the good tackle and run fully legal and are good people to work for are able to pick and choose who they take on and with my lack of experience on paper It could prove difficult to convince them I’m worth giving a chance.
But I’m going to wait a couple more weeks and see how this plays out in the meantime.

And just to add I’ve only had this job for 2 months just in case anyone was wondering why it took them so long to say this to me.

Hopefully it won’t come to blows at the end of the week. Keep looking for a decent job but don’t jump for something second rate unless you’re pushed. Still worth trying to find a positive way forward with the company you’re at. Do you know/trust the other drivers well enough to ask them about how they run. Are they pressured? Do they have breaks whilst tipping other work? Do they find they have to speed to get round? It may pay to find out whether this is the culture at the company or just one individual who may have had senior management breathing down his neck about targets that week and thought he’d pick on the new guy.

jay0:

Tell the Transport Manager that tipping and loading on break is illegal, technically you’re required to report such requests to the Traffic Commissioner and if he wants to sack you for refusing to break the law ask him how good he thinks that will look when you inform the Traffic Commissioner why you lost your job.

Whilst you’re at it remind him that it is his responsibility to ensure work is scheduled so that it does not put undue stress on the driver to break the law.

I wonder if its the Class 2 job I’ve seen advertised near me recently for a local pallet network company. What county are you in?

Well after talking to some of the other drivers I’ve figured out where I’ve gone wrong.
Last week I refused to take a trailer out that was almost 3t overweight and the week before that I refused one that had a lump of rubber out of the tyre the size of your boot.

The TM didn’t sound happy at the time but it wasn’t my fault so didn’t expect their to be a problem. But the TM was obviously annoyed and decided he doesn’t want me working here any more so he went and spouted a load of ■■■■ to the boss about me not getting enough work done to try and get rid of me.
You just can’t win.

Tbh jay0 you should be commended as a newbie for standing your ground ref those vehicles!! How many names would they of called you if you’d been pulled into a check by vosa & found to be overweight or had that tyre fail on you■■? You did them a favour tbh & allowed the boss to maintain his repute!!

DT@Leightonhaul:
Tbh jay0 you should be commended as a newbie for standing your ground ref those vehicles!! How many names would they of called you if you’d been pulled into a check by vosa & found to be overweight or had that tyre fail on you■■? You did them a favour tbh & allowed the boss to maintain his repute!!

Thanks, I’m waiting for the two sides to every story brigade to come on here but I’m adamant that I’m in the right and with fair few drivers after leaving and talk of more following them it’s safe to say it’s not just me that has a problem.

The company is already black flagged with vosa. I’ve been lucky enough to not be stopped by them yet, not that I knowingly have anything to hide but I’m sure they would find something.

Remember at every formal disciplinary meeting they have to give you reasonable notice of when the meeting is going to be and you are legally allowed to have a fellow colleague or union representative to accompany you so if he asks you into the office for a talk, grab someone who supports your cause or you think is neutral to go in with you. This is one of your rights under employment law so if he tries to tell you you can’t, suggest he goes take a look at the Employment Act 2008.

Best Practice — Key Points

• When entering a disciplinary process it is essential that a full and proper investigation of the facts is carried out prior to any meeting being held.

• The employee must be given sufficient notice of any meeting to be held, and that they are provided with any relevant documentation beforehand.

• A further member of the management team or HR should be present at the meeting to take detailed notes.

• The outcome of the meeting should not be predetermined.

• An employee is entitled to be accompanied at a formal disciplinary and grievance meeting. They can be accompanied by either a work colleague or trade union official. It would also be good practice to offer this at any investigatory meeting.

You’d be surprised how much they’ll back down when there’s not just you there especially when they’re trying to discipline you for following the law.

I’m sorry this has been your first years experience in haulage. Whilst its generally accepted that traffic office bods are twunts very few are like this.

Conor:
Remember at every formal disciplinary meeting they have to give you reasonable notice of when the meeting is going to be and you are legally allowed to have a fellow colleague or union representative to accompany you so if he asks you into the office for a talk, grab someone who supports your cause or you think is neutral to go in with you. This is one of your rights under employment law so if he tries to tell you you can’t, suggest he goes take a look at the Employment Act 2008.

• When entering a disciplinary process it is essential that a full and proper investigation of the facts is carried out prior to any meeting being held.

• The employee must be given sufficient notice of any meeting to be held, and that they are provided with any relevant documentation beforehand.

• A further member of the management team or HR should be present at the meeting to take detailed notes.

• An employee is entitled to be accompanied at a formal disciplinary and grievance meeting. They can be accompanied by either a work colleague or trade union official. It would also be good practice to offer this at any investigatory meeting.

You’d be surprised how much they’ll back down when there’s not just you there especially when they’re trying to discipline you for following the law.

I’m sorry this has been your first years experience in haulage. Whilst its generally accepted that traffic office bods are twunts very few are like this.

Cheers for that mate but I’m not really bothered with all the legal aspect of it. I’ve been thinking of getting into fridge work for a while now so it’s as good a reason as any to move on.

jay0:

Conor:

Cheers for that mate but I’m not really bothered with all the legal aspect of it. I’ve been thinking of getting into fridge work for a while now so it’s as good a reason as any to move on.

Smart move.

Ehhhh sorry to be a fly in the ointment but Jay has been employed less than 2 years his full employment rights haven’t kicked in yet, he can be sacked with no reason needed. Course that doesn’t mean he can’t report the comapny to our Bev but chances are there will be very few old hands to back him up.

jay0:
Last week I refused to take a trailer out that was almost 3t overweight and the week before that I refused one that had a lump of rubber out of the tyre the size of your boot.

Bit more information now but to me this sums it up. You did the right thing and I commend you for having the guts to stand up to your boss in this situation, many older hands would have just carried on regardless.
This quote alone gives me hope for the future of ‘the professional driver’, Jay you will go far and I would start looking for a company that deserves you rather than this shower of shiiite… [censor dodge quite apt in this context]

Dipper_Dave:
Ehhhh sorry to be a fly in the ointment but Jay has been employed less than 2 years his full employment rights haven’t kicked in yet, he can be sacked with no reason needed. Course that doesn’t mean he can’t report the comapny to our Bev but chances are there will be very few old hands to back him up.

jay0:

Bit more information now but to me this sums it up. You did the right thing and I commend you for having the guts to stand up to your boss in this situation, many older hands would have just carried on regardless.
This quote alone gives me hope for the future of ‘the professional driver’, Jay you will go far and I would start looking for a company that deserves you rather than this shower of shiiite… [censor dodge quite apt in this context]

Thanks dave. The sad part is someone else has taken this trailer out and others like it without giving it a second thought. This one would have weighed out at at least 40t.

jay0:
he went and spouted a load of [zb] to the boss about me not getting enough work done to try and get rid of me.
You just can’t win.

+1, no you can’t win but keep on trucking…:grimacing: