Breaks

Got a warning from the boss earlier because apparently I’m not getting enough work done everyday. I’m always on time for my first drop in the morning but I will usually pull in for a cup of tea at ten o clock for 15 mins and then pull in again for half an hour around 1 o clock for lunch. I do this everyday except when for when I’m sitting around waiting to be unloaded/loaded in which case I will take my breaks then.
I’m on curtainsider work so tacho goes on other work while being loaded/unloaded.
I’d like to know what everyone else does because the boss couldn’t come up with a solution other then have the breaks while being loaded/unloaded but this would mean that I would be working while on break which I’m completely against since I work 12-15 hours everyday.
Can anyone offer any advice because if I don’t improve In the next week or two I’m gone.
And I’ve got less then a years experience so finding another job could take some time.

Tell him to go sit his cpc. As long as you aren’t swinging the lead unloading you are doing the right thing. I personally make a note of loading unloading times at drops so they can take it up with them if they want to

If my boss had said that to me I would carry on as I had been. He would be on an extremely sticky wicket if he sacked you on those grounds. Am sure dvsa would love to hear about it followed closely by an employment lawyer.

Keep going as you are drive. Good luck

midlifetrucker:
Tell him to go sit his cpc. As long as you aren’t swinging the lead unloading you are doing the right thing. I personally make a note of loading unloading times at drops so they can take it up with them if they want to

Well said and I fully agree!

It’s part of our timesheets at our place to add arrival and leaving times at drops. Unless I know the waiting time in advance then it must be O/W

The funny thing is when I asked him how much more i needed to get done everyday he said " well what have you done today" and when I told him he said that was fine but The thing is I usually get that much and somtimes more done everyday anyway so I don’t know what the problem is.
But apparently it’s the T.M that says I’m not getting enough work done so I’m wondering have I done somthing wrong on the T.M and this is just an excuse or is their a genuine concern about the amount of work Im getting done
The T.M never mentioned it to me he just went straight to the boss so I’m annoyed about that to say the least because I was not expecting it and now I’m at a loss as to where I’ve gone wrong.

jay0:
Got a warning from the boss earlier because apparently I’m not getting enough work done everyday. I’m always on time for my first drop in the morning but I will usually pull in for a cup of tea at ten o clock for 15 mins and then pull in again for half an hour around 1 o clock for lunch. I do this everyday except when for when I’m sitting around waiting to be unloaded/loaded in which case I will take my breaks then.
I’m on curtainsider work so tacho goes on other work while being loaded/unloaded.
I’d like to know what everyone else does because the boss couldn’t come up with a solution other then have the breaks while being loaded/unloaded but this would mean that I would be working while on break which I’m completely against since I work 12-15 hours everyday.
Can anyone offer any advice because if I don’t improve In the next week or two I’m gone.
And I’ve got less then a years experience so finding another job could take some time.

You have employment rights,your boss can’t sack you without a very good reason. He is just trying to bully you into doing more work. Tell him if he sacks you, that you will take him to a tribunal.

Dave the Renegade:

jay0:

You have employment rights,your boss can’t sack you without a very good reason. He is just trying to bully you into doing more work. Tell him if he sacks you, that you will take him to a tribunal.

Would it be wise to get the warning in writing just so he can’t change his story if it does go that far?

Dave the Renegade:

Sure at 250 quid for filing the form and 950 quid for the hearing, he really is going to take that threat seriously. You have to be darn sure of your case and have one big enough just to recoup the costs.

I’d love to see that warning in writing. If you are taking the ■■■■ and doing everything legal then you haven’t got anything to worry about. Don’t get confrontational with your boss or TM.

Keep asking them how they want you to “improve” and note down everything, time in and out of drops and your breaks. Keep a diary, so if they do try it on you have got some legs.

I would hazard they are just hazing the new and inexperienced.

When you have a 15 you’re doing you’re employer a favour as you can now work for up to nine hours unless you’re driving break comes first.

I take a 15 so I can get unloaded without having to take a WTD break my employer appreciates this and then has no issues with me taking another 45 if I wish to do so.

Ask the gaffer for confirmation in writing if he wants you to tip/load on break or P.O.A the sad bit is your colleagues are probably running bent at the behest of the boss hence your recent conversation.

I had this 15 years ago when I drove for Europa Worldwide. The argument was they said I should put it on break at every drop because it could tick over 15 mins. My reply was if I did that and it did, I could do 3 drops (the law back then was 3x15mins was suficient) then I was legal for another 4.5 hours but where way MY break? I said I always thought the 45 min break was a rest for the driver, not for the truck!

I’d start putting everything in writing incase it does develop. Type out a reasonable e mail to your TM saying you’ve considered the points raised by him verbally (citing the points he made), however you are at a loss as to how more work can be squeezed in as you complete checks in a timely fashion, drive to speed limit. Don’t dawdle at deliveries and take appropriate breaks at the correct legal points to satisfy the regulations. Maybe highlight as you take great pride in your job, it’s concerned you that your TM is of the opinion that you don’t get enough done and ask for him to list the areas he feels lacking.

If you’re like me in writing is better as when I’m talking I always think afterwards of something I should have said. It also avoids it getting frosty. Avoid that at all costs in the e mail.

The rub of it is he probably wants you to fly around and tip on card however as said in a previous thread this isn’t laying bricks or mowing grass. Lorry driving is pretty much out of your hands provided you drive in the right direction at the right speed, take legal breaks correctly. If its not working then it’s a planning issue. If the sword of damocles is hang above you with your employment in question then you need to force the issue into writing. Im sure it won’t come to this and a reasonable amicable way forward can be found but hypothetically if after a reasonable argument citing your legal operation and no fat for anymore work within the law and they do dig their heels in and you lose your Job, Vosa would probably take a dim view of a company using pressure of employment to force a driver to take breaks at inappropriate times/speeding.

Try sitting on the limiter on single carriageways. All the true driver heroes do it :smiley:

Look for a new job.

I’m guessing it’s pallet network type work. If you’re at any drop longer than 5 minuted call your TM and ask him for further instruction. If you keep him informed of any delay then there’s no comeback on you.

m1cks:
I’m guessing it’s pallet network type work. If you’re at any drop longer than 5 minuted call your TM and ask him for further instruction. If you keep him informed of any delay then there’s no comeback on you.

No it’s usually full loads or no more than 5 drops. And we don’t do any rdc work so it’s usually tipped straight away but in the rare occasion when I know I’m going to be waiting I will let the TM know.

Jay, was this said to you in a one on one meeting or where there others in earshot and your boss was just showing off.

If you havent been employed for over 2 Years (1 year if employed before April 6th 2012) with the company your employment rights as far as unfair/constructive dissmisal haven’t kicked in yet, apart from things like discrimmination and pregnancy i think. Your employer does have a duty of care though so its unlikely any of this would be put in writing.

Perhaps he was just seeing how you would react, perhaps he has been put under pressure from higher up to increase the work load, perhaps he is not the best planner in the world or just maybe he is a complete twunt.

Anyway the best thing to do IMO is to say yes boss and do nothing different for now.

Starting to use breaks to get more work done is playing right in to their hands and although some places will expect it (i.e at RDC’s) I find its rarely asked and left down to the drivers discrestion- if it helps me and the company out I will sometimes use a break whilst being tipped. However this go’s in my book as a loan of my free time and I expect it back later on in the day with a few minutes interest.

Don’t let this worry you for now as it may just be your bosses way of applying a bit of pressure to see how you react, just carry on as before but give the impression you will take it on board, be on the same page and any other silly phrases the office bods like to hear…

If this gets too bad and your boss needs a reality check I find breaking into their house and taking pictures of them asleep works wonders…but can lead to further complications :blush:

Cheers for the replies. I’ve got a feeling I’m going to be told to go on Friday. They seem to be the type of company that rewards the teararse’s by giving them all the Saturday work and early finishes. And any one that doesn’t play along gets punished by doing near max hours for the same pay.

jay0:
Cheers for the replies. I’ve got a feeling I’m going to be told to go on Friday. They seem to be the type of company that rewards the teararse’s by giving them all the Saturday work and early finishes. And any one that doesn’t play along gets punished by doing near max hours for the same pay.

write everything in your diary " times, dates and swear words too ! " get yourself a dictaphone too and ask for it in writing! :laughing: stop splitting YOUR BREAK! :sunglasses: as I used to tell them " TIREDNESS CAN KILL, take a break! " :sunglasses: stick to the speed limits and above all ask him if he’s got an " international and national operators licence? " :wink: and whilst your at it ask him " when was the last time you took a fully laden 44 tonne ARTIC on the roads of Great Britain? " :grimacing:

jay0:

Any sign of a boss encouraging me to break the law and/or ‘speed up’ and i’d be printing off CV’s ready to distribute elsewhere. I’d recommend you do the same. Don’t put up with it.