Breaks from driving

Bit of a strange topic i know but i was wondering does anyone drive for 4 1/2 hours then have there 45 minutes break?i know you can split them 15 and 30 minutes apiece like if you want to,over your driving period but wondered if anyone just goes the whole hog!

Have done many times, if it was a day where all I have to do is drive I would often run very close to the full 4.5 hours, especially if it was the last stint of the day.

I used to…
Start about 6am and then have a nice kip about noon - usually between 4.0 & 4.5 driving at that time.

Me too, but if I was doing a full shift trying to get as far as possible then I would do a 4 plus a couple of 3’s

yeah its make sense to cut down the distance like doesnt it using the 4 and a half hours if like you where going far.

Me to, I used do a 4:20 run none stop regularly, sometimes I’d have a break and do the return journey none stop to, but as often as not I’d stop on the return journey to pick up a coffee.
This was on nights, very boring on the motorway driving for 4:20 in the dark with nothing to see except white lines and tail lights :frowning:

It depends on the job and how I feel, I prefer to drive for around 3 hours before stopping. I think if you’re on a tight schedule too much time is wasted stopping twice for 15 then 30.

Yeah couldnt agree more Mrb i normally drive for 2 or 3 like.Deliveries to make and deadlines to keep. :grimacing:

tachograph:
Me to, I used do a 4:20 run none stop regularly, sometimes I’d have a break and do the return journey none stop to, but as often as not I’d stop on the return journey to pick up a coffee.
This was on nights, very boring on the motorway driving for 4:20 in the dark with nothing to see except white lines and tail lights :frowning:

Yeah i agree tachograph pretty boring nights like mate.Thats normally when fatique kicks in to mate. :imp:

If I’m on a long early morning run to the South West or Wales I’ll do a full stint and dive in the bunk for 45 mins kip :slight_smile:

dazask:
Bit of a strange topic i know but i was wondering does anyone drive for 4 1/2 hours then have there 45 minutes break?i know you can split them 15 and 30 minutes apiece like if you want to,over your driving period but wondered if anyone just goes the whole hog!

Yep. Used to do it every day when I was on trunking work.

Do it often, then in the bed for 45 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

do it 99% of the time.

i always need a crap, at 7am.
so i work my hours accordingly.

normally i do 5 minutes of driving, 15 minute break at local burger van. 4hours 25minutes of driving 30min break so can do 9 hours driving with only a 30 min break. job done.

does anybody work through their breaks sometimes in order to get on? as sometimes i would rather be 45 mins closer to home than sitting in the cab doing sweat fa for 45 mins. not all the time mind but some times.

groovy greg:
does anybody work through their breaks sometimes in order to get on?

everyday, 7 days a week.

groovy greg:

I expect those not hourly paid might do but it is illegal and they know the risks so it’s up to them to make their own choices on that.

If hourly paid then they must be daft to do so as they are giving away their own money !!

ROG:

groovy greg:

I expect those not hourly paid might do but it is illegal and they know the risks so it’s up to them to make their own choices on that.

If hourly paid then they must be daft to do so as they are giving away their own money !!

loads of people do it, loads, tipping off the card is another.

With the distance we do, London, Erith, Faversham blah blah blah driving 4.5hrs then a 45mins is a must as usually the days are either big full 9/10 hr driving days or full 13/15hr spreads, so fannying around having split breaks is only shooting yourself in the foot… Saying that unless going down teh A1 from Stranraer to Wetherby is a 4h 5 min drive and with nowhere to park after Wetherby until you get to the BP or TwinShells you have more or less no option unless you either have A:- A great run down the A75 and/or B:- A quick 56/57/58mph+ lorry to make there… For example a couple of trips I have done over teh last couple of weeks, yesterday in fact, Stranraer to Wetherby 4hr 5 mins, Wetherby to Peterboro (Drop 1) was about another 2h30 mins roughly then Peterboro to West Thurrock was 2h 15mins roughly, so having a break rior to Wetherby woulda meant running late for my drops (Already late due to being sent on wrong boat) and I would have required more breaks = longer day.

zippy!:

ROG:

groovy greg:

loads of people do it, loads, tipping off the card is another.

I know a driver who never seems to change the mode switch on the digital tachograph, it defaults to rest when the ignition is switched off and that’s where it stays regardless of what he’s doing.

Another driver uses POA whilst unloading then changes it to rest when he has his break whilst still parked in the same spot :laughing:
Don’t ask why he chooses POA as I’ve no idea but he insists on doing it even though he knows it should be “other work”.

Both of these drivers are salaried both do the same run everyday and neither work anywhere near their maximum hours, as far as I can see neither driver has anything to gain by what they do so you have to wonder why :unamused:

Drivers are a strange breed :wink: