Breaking news

Lorry driver cleared over M62 death
Breaking news

A lorry driver has been cleared of causing the death by dangerous driving of a woman on a hen party in West Yorkshire.

Bethany Jones, 18, died and several people were injured in the crash between a minibus and a lorry, near Pontefract, on 26 April 2013.

Kevin Ollerhead, 43, who denied the offence, was cleared following a trial.

Bus driver James Johnson, from Bradford, admitted causing death by dangerous driving in September.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29761601

Now that has really surprised me…very lucky man :open_mouth:

Not only Breaking News but very good news as well, the jury and judge made the right decision…

He should buy a lottery ticket for tonight’s draw, he is a lucky guy. Can’t understand, based on what I’ve read, how he got away with that.

Coffeeholic:
He should buy a lottery ticket for tonight’s draw, he is a lucky guy. Can’t understand, based on what I’ve read, how he got away with that.

devinately a jammy git…not for the way he was driving,as he was only sitting at 52 on the limiter,so he hit the bus,as 47mph…could happen to anyone except the ones on here that never do anything wrong. hes jammy because 1,hes a truckie…2 the public opinion outcry normally influences the judges decision as they all want a quiet life and not make any waves,so usually easier to crucify the driver and keep a few families,and the newspapers happy.the geriatric ■■■■ driving the bus should have been driving on the hard shoulder,and should have took the hink when others were blasting horns at him,blame the law for havint limiters,if he was sitting at 75,then he wouldn’t have been there at the time,and more likely to have been watching the road more,instead of being bored sensless at 52.

If that was the only charge then I think I can see why he was cleared

He was not driving dangerously but without due care and attention which is why he failed to spot a minibus doing less than 10 mph in a live lane

The minibus should have been on the emergency hard shoulder

To get away with no culpability the Jury must have had more info than was printed or he is very lucky

Because from what the papers disclosed that is a wrong decision

Great news !

does anyone here think is was DANGEROUS DRIVING by the lorry driver?

Jamieg:
To get away with no culpability the Jury must have had more info than was printed or he is very lucky

Whether it was a wrong decision or not he was cleared by a jury and I bet he’s bloody glad that jury wasn’t made up of Trucknet members!!

:slight_smile:

Yeah i for 1 have had enough of the TN CSI brigade on here :unamused: :unamused:.The whiter than white that never has looked down whilst driving then look back and bam!! can happen to anyone!! Was the right desision to clear the truck driver,The nutter driving the minibus was all at fault.

gov.uk/highway-code-penalties/penalty-table

There does not seem to be an offence for …
Causing death by careless driving WHEN NOT under the influence of drink or drugs

The jury was face with only this to consider -
Causing death by dangerous driving so if they deemed the driving was not dangerous then they had no option but to acquit

No rog…he was aqquitted because there was ■■■■ all he could do

ROG:
The Highway Code - Annex 5. Penalties - Guidance - GOV.UK

Causing death by careless driving WHEN NOT under the influence of drink or drugs

Causing death by dangerous driving so if they deemed the driving was not dangerous then they had no option but to acquit

There is an offence of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.

I haven’t seem much reported about this case, does anyone know what his explanation was for running into the minibus ?

wing-nut:

Jamieg:

Whether it was a wrong decision or not he was cleared by a jury and I bet he’s bloody glad that jury wasn’t made up of Trucknet members!!

Nice first post buddy ,if thats what you think why have you joined t/net :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

I was on the A19 recently going up to Middlesborough at 50mph. A solo unit came past me on the limiter and pulled in front of me. He immediately started indicating to pull back out and I remember thinking, why pull back in in the first place. Anyway he sat there for several seconds and all of a sudden swerved out. Then I see why, a tractor pulling a trailer doing about 20mph.

I stamped on the brakes as hard as I could and just about managed to avoid running into the back of him. Pulling out was impossible as I had cars up the side of me and I really didn’t have much time to do anything other than an emergency stop and hope for the best.

It would only take a split second distraction in a situation like that for the outcome to be very different.

seth 70:

wing-nut:

Jamieg:

Nice first post buddy ,if thats what you think why have you joined t/net :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

I’m sure most on here believe in innocent until proven guilty, but sadly there appears to be a few who think the other way around

Jamieg:

Of course the jury had more info than was printed in the papers.

tachograph:

ROG:
The Highway Code - Annex 5. Penalties - Guidance - GOV.UK

There is an offence of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.

I haven’t seem much reported about this case, does anyone know what his explanation was for running into the minibus ?

I wonder how come that is not in the GOV link I posted …

Perhaps they should have charged the lorry driver with that instead - but the result would have been different