Breach of weight restriction

A LORRY driver has been fined £240 for breaching two heavy goods vehicle (HGV) weight restrictions in Notts.

Kirk Denton of Portland Avenue, Aston, Sheffield, pleaded guilty to two charges of breaching restrictions in Blidworth and on Forest Lane, Linby Lane and Wighay Road in Papplewick and Linby last August.

He was also ordered to pay £100 costs at Mansfield Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

He was driving a 26-tonne lorry on the Papplewick and Linby roads, where there is a 7.5 tonne limit, and in Blidworth, where there is a 18 tonne limit.

Notts County Council, which brought the case to court, has been working with Papplewick and Linby Parish Councils on a ‘community lorry watch’.

This involves residents recording details of vehicles travelling through their village which they believe to be over the legal weight limit.

Councillor Glynn Gilfoyle, of the county council’s community safety committee, said: “This substantial fine sends a clear message out to other HGV drivers who are tempted to flout the regulations.”

Whatever will the Traffic Commissioner say ?

chad.co.uk/news/local/over-w … ed-1-70243
Lorry drivers tempted to ignore weight restrictions in Papplewick and Blidworth areas got a stiff warning on Friday 19th December after two drivers received a combined fine of £160.

Lukasz Norenberg of Audrey Drive, Chaddesden, pleaded to two charges of breaching a 7.5 tonne HGV Environmental Weight Restrictions on Forest Lane, Papplewick, and at Burnstump Hill, Blidworth, on 14 March 2014. He was fined £60 and ordered to pay £100 costs.

Neil White of Spinney Hill Drive, Loughborough, pleaded guilty to one charge of breaching the same weight restriction on Forest Lane, Papplewick on the same day. He was fined £100 and ordered to pay £100 costs.

Nottinghamshire County Council (NCC)’s Trading Standards team enforces environmental weight restrictions in the county and has been working with residents in Papplewick and Blidworth on a ‘community lorry watch’ scheme. Councillor Glynn Gilfoyle, of NCC, said: “Unfortunately, careless lorry drivers cut through these restricted roads to save time but they need to mindful that they are endangering other road users.”

And in other news -

The sky is blue.

I saw another crisp bag getting blown around past the window earlier today…looks like another example of we don’t want nasty trucks driving around our mrs bouqet type up our ■■■ village scenario. ive a brother in law on the council,in the plodforce etcetc…pathetic myopic fannies.

That councillor should really study his words more carefully before voicing a press release. His little sound bite read like a daily mail reader’s. Why stick to facts in public office when you can chuck in some good old hyperbole. Got a pitch fork?

Yup, it’s not legal but there you go, neither should be wasting public money on silly sod “art” statues being thrown up in town centres when we’re supposed to be in austerity but they do it anyway.

Freight Dog:
That councillor should really study his words more carefully before voicing a press release. His little sound bite read like a daily mail reader’s. Why stick to facts in public office when you can chuck in some good old hyperbole. Got a pitch fork?

Yup, it’s not legal but there you go, neither should be wasting public money on silly sod “art” statues being thrown up in town centres when we’re supposed to be in austerity but they do it anyway.

Where I live the town is a dump, but wasting money on expensive monuments has hit a high, three metre high elephant in a long boat… A six meter high cost of a tree and three thrones with wings on, and a new taxi rank :open_mouth:

surely without some sort of cctv or verified photographic evidence, these fines would be appealable, as i thought in our society that the law was based on evidence, not some coffin dodger with a clipboard taking regs, if ihappened to me id want the person who caught me to have an eye test at the very least, a sort of eyeball calibration certificate :slight_smile:

Councillor Glynn Gilfoyle, of NCC, said: “Unfortunately, careless lorry drivers cut through these restricted roads to save time but they need to mindful that they are endangering other road users.”

WTF :unamused:
Shouldnt every road have a weight limit in that case??

What he means is “Those huge monstrosities look terrible and I ddon’t want them down my road”

suit me fine just pulling off the motorway to an rdc and letting the vans ship it in to the stores, but then they would need a van ban as everyshop would need at least 10 vans to deliver what would have gone on an 18 tonner, imagine the chaos and the extra charges that would have be put on that shops food prices just to cover the cost, typical up nosed twits, move to the country then copalin about the farmer keeping them up

What if he was in an empty 26 ton that only weighed 12 ton how would they no

3stepsaheaduk:

Some signs have MGW max gross weight.

Drift:

3stepsaheaduk:

very rare you see them now :grimacing:

Drift:

3stepsaheaduk:

A 7.5 Tonne HGV Restriction sign (Fig:622.1A) means “Goods vehicles exceeding the maximum gross weight indicated on the goods vehicle symbol prohibited”

So if it was a 7.5 tonne limit, and a solo tractor unit (Plated at 44t MGW) weighing 6.9t went through the limit, it would be illegal as it’s MGW is 44t.

trubster:

Drift:

3stepsaheaduk:

A 7.5 Tonne HGV Restriction sign (Fig:622.1A) means “Goods vehicles exceeding the maximum gross weight indicated on the goods vehicle symbol prohibited”

So if it was a 7.5 tonne limit, and a solo tractor unit (Plated at 44t MGW) weighing 6.9t went through the limit, it would be illegal as it’s MGW is 44t.

Not sure a solo tractor would have a 44-tonne MGW – that would be its combination or train weight.

But that said, this guy clearly flouted the rules because he thought he could, because it’s ‘only’ a rural road and there were no cameras. Nice to see the usual Highway Code pedants aren’t around to point out that he flouted the rules and got the book thrown at him, as they normally do when they get a whiff of “lane hogging” on here, even when there’s no evidence except their own imagination.

This is where the roads in question were: streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=45 … pp=map.srf

I have seen these lorry spotters standing opersite the pub on the junction by the road down to bestwood .

IndigoJo:
Not sure a solo tractor would have a 44-tonne MGW – that would be its combination or train weight.

If the plate in the vehicle says 44000 kg on it, trailer or no trailer, it is 44000kg MGW

I’m fairly sure most of these weight limit roads also say “except for access”? My company do a lot of catering equipment deliveries to shops. We deliver large fridge units/equipment to anywhere that has requested them, including tiny Post Office shops in tiny villages in the middle of nowhere because the shop fitters need them onsite and sometimes they are nearly 3 metres long, 2.5 metres high, weigh nearly 400 kilos and they simply will not fit in anything less than an 18 tonner with a tail lift. We often get people coming up to us as we’re delivering saying “you have broken the law, you’re not allowed here in a vehicle that size” or “I have you on camera, you’re too big” etc etc but we’ve yet to receive any NIP or official notice from anybody official!

bornidle.co.uk@www.bornidle. … 794969.jpg

Born Idle:
I’m fairly sure most of these weight limit roads also say “except for access”? My company do a lot of catering equipment deliveries to shops. We deliver large fridge units/equipment to anywhere that has requested them, including tiny Post Office shops in tiny villages in the middle of nowhere because the shop fitters need them onsite and sometimes they are nearly 3 metres long, 2.5 metres high, weigh nearly 400 kilos and they simply will not fit in anything less than an 18 tonner with a tail lift. We often get people coming up to us as we’re delivering saying “you have broken the law, you’re not allowed here in a vehicle that size” or “I have you on camera, you’re too big” etc etc but we’ve yet to receive any NIP or official notice from anybody official!

Round here it’s always “except for loading”, which means you can’t go down there to park up for the night, to visit your grandma, to use the shops or to fill up. Only if you’re actually delivering or picking up goods.

Will be interesting when I go back to work next year. I deliver to a landscaping company on moor road bestwod, no problem getting to it from Bulwell end of moor road ( no weight restriction) as you approach it on the left you have to pass it and reverse in as the turn is way to tight for an artic therfore when you leave you have to exit to the left as turning right would be impossible if you carry on down this b road with no turning space you are forced to enter the weight restrictions of Papplewick and Linby. I always carry straight on to the A60 (shortest route). Looks like we may be getting a few tickets then as I am not actually delivering whithin the weight limit but being forced to travel through it due to lack of anywhere to turn around.