Branded diesel

Talking to a pal about branded diesel being better for EGR, DPF etc than supermarket stuff. Supposedly due to extra additives and detergents.
If this is the case I presume bunker diesel is akin to supermarket diesel?
With all the Euro 6 kit I’d have thought the better the quality and cleanliness of diesel the better all round!

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

Munchkin:
Talking to a pal about branded diesel being better for EGR, DPF etc than supermarket stuff. Supposedly due to extra additives and detergents.
If this is the case I presume bunker diesel is akin to supermarket diesel?
With all the Euro 6 kit I’d have thought the better the quality and cleanliness of diesel the better all round!

Yep it’s true , my fitter filled his company van up with esso, super the other week and his mpg shot up compared to the yard pump diesel
I also notice when i fill my truck up at services on the rare occasion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strangely in my car I get more MPG out of the diesel from the independent no-name petrol station than I do from the BP one. My car likes Esso but doesn’t like Jet or Tesco.

And does any diesel car like ASDA diesel ? Mine don’t

over here,our branded diesel is named after whatever names on the sorboil/kittylitter it gets filtered through to take the red or green dye out of it…next worst being asda diesel as its dire compared to anything else. I was told though without proof that everytime they discover a laundering plant,then apart from the sludge and acid waste etc,then the laundered derv has to go somewhere,that somewhere being asda bulk tanks where the boats discharge into as itl get lost with the millions of asda diesel…they cant dispose of it any other way,and cant use it as its contaminated in the 1st place.hence asda diesel is crap.even the local workers here wont use asda diesel,though if your at a petrol station pump using white,then we know you must be a stranger… :smiley:

blue estate:
And does any diesel car like ASDA diesel ? Mine don’t

Asda fuel seems to be the worst around, would never have ran my diesel on it, only ever put BP in it.

Shell V Power Nitro Plus unleaded only now.

A.

I’ve not had an issue with Asda diesel in my A-class.

Wasn’t there something about BMW engines having problems when only using supermarket diesel

It all comes out of the same terminal. BP adds a bit of additive, Ultimate Shell and super Esso is a bit different, the rest is all the same. All the super unleaded in most multi brand terminals is just Tesco 99 diluted with regular to get the right grade…

Unless you put in a BP/Shell super blend, just shop on price. Jet/Asda/Morrison/Tesco/BP/Shell/Sainsbury/Texaco etc and even small local brands all come out of the same tanker/pot/rack/terminal. Even the bunker fuels such as Keyfuels and UK fuel comes out of the same tank/rack. Even deliveries to local yards/ truckfirms is the same stuff.

It is all marketing.

I’m lucky to have a costco nearby which is generally 3-4p/ltr cheaper than anywhere else

peirre:
I’m lucky to have a costco nearby which is generally 3-4p/ltr cheaper than anywhere else

That’s it, unless you go with a premium/super blend just buy the cheapest you can find

wheelnutt:
It all comes out of the same terminal. BP adds a bit of additive, Ultimate Shell and super Esso is a bit different, the rest is all the same. All the super unleaded in most multi brand terminals is just Tesco 99 diluted with regular to get the right grade…

Unless you put in a BP/Shell super blend, just shop on price. Jet/Asda/Morrison/Tesco/BP/Shell/Sainsbury/Texaco etc and even small local brands all come out of the same tanker/pot/rack/terminal. Even the bunker fuels such as Keyfuels and UK fuel comes out of the same tank/rack. Even deliveries to local yards/ truckfirms is the same stuff.

It is all marketing.

id say bollox to that…
if I use laundered diesel,i can hear the difference to the crack from the engine after 5 mins once its worked through to the pump…if I use anyone elses diesel,the engine goes back to its normal sound.ive had numerous cars/vans etc doing the same…using asda diesel gives me the same acid washed/kittylitter fuel sound…theres countless folk wont use asda diesel,though never any complaints about their petrol.just the derv.

dieseldog999:

wheelnutt:

It is all marketing.

id say bollox to that…
if I use laundered diesel,i can hear the difference to the crack from the engine after 5 mins once its worked through to the pump…if I use anyone elses diesel,the engine goes back to its normal sound.ive had numerous cars/vans etc doing the same…using asda diesel gives me the same acid washed/kittylitter fuel sound…theres countless folk wont use asda diesel,though never any complaints about their petrol.just the derv.

I have delivered to all in my post and loaded all from the same terminal/rack.

Bloody marketing is doing its thing tough…pointy shoe spiky haired kids are earning their keeps.

must be different over here in the twilight zone then… :slight_smile:

and
would anyone know for certain where all the millions of litres of laundered fuel goes once its been seized?
it has to go somewhere.

dieseldog999:

and
would anyone know for certain where all the millions of litres of laundered fuel goes once its been seized?
it has to go somewhere.

In NI it is even more of a standard, there are only 3 importers of fuel into NI and only 4 major terminals/distributors. So the difference in fuel in NI is even less then it is here on the mainland.

The days of single brand terminal/distribution is long gone. The big players supply fuel for all the brands from one tank/terminal and only add a bit of additive to some grades/brands.

As to your question as to laundered fuel in NI, I couldn’t answer that, we don’t really have that problem here on the scale that you guys see.

dieseldog999:

and
it has to go somewhere.

PSNI cars etc ?

wheelnutt:

It is all marketing.

So Esso, Shell, BP normal diesel is the same as Asda?
Bloody sure my car doesn’t run as well on supermarket stuff or maybe I’m brainwashed !

morrisons petrol doesn’t last either,just bought a Golf GTI and tesco stuff doesn’t agree with it,Put some Esso super in it Friday can tell the difference so super stuff it is from now on :stuck_out_tongue:

Munchkin:

wheelnutt:

It is all marketing.

So Esso, Shell, BP normal diesel is the same as Asda?
Bloody sure my car doesn’t run as well on supermarket stuff or maybe I’m brainwashed !

All regular diesel and petrol is the same, except for BP, they add an additive to their regular diesel/petrol. It still comes out of the same terminal though.

The next time you pass a terminal have a peek and you will see all the brands loading from the same place.

I only use Esso super in my mondeo st. I’ve tried shell vmax and bp ultimate but they clog the filter. It’s a fiver a tank more to fill but will generally give me an extra 8mpg, so the cheaper alternative is a bit of a false economy