Brakes..one rule for them etc

Had the misfortune of an rdc on Wed morning,.Brakes at Newhouse.
I’ll just start by saying I ain’t some Covid neurotic type still.wearing a mask,.with a bottle of sanitizer hanging around my neck, …but.

Went in there, it was a small waiting room about the same area as 3 khazi cubicles,.4 guys sat down and about 3 stood up drinking coffee.

First thing to meet you is a sign saying along the lines of…Drivers to hand keys in and stay in waiting room. :neutral_face:

Anyhow walked up to the glass partition,.handed my keys in to the girl behind the counter (lovely arse btw :laughing: ) she opened up a plastic bag being very careful not to touch my keys, folded the bag and put them away.
I thought…oh yeh :unamused: , Don’t you be letting the great unwashed breathe on you under the glass partition, and don’t be touching my infected keys, but then just expect me to sit in a small confined space, with a few random strangers sat on top of each other, because we don’t matter as much as you lot. :unamused: :imp:
One rule for them and one for us drivers.

First instinct was to gob off, or at least politely put my point of view forward, but I thought why tf should I be a spokesman for a load of strangers who clearly don’t mind or gaf about being made a difference of, so I slinked back to my cab and got on the bunk out of sight until tipped.
Thinking ‘■■■■ em’.

As I said,.I ain’t a Covid bottler, I’ve had it and it ain’t nice, but if I’m going to get it again, which I undoubtedly will being winter etc, it will be a result of me doing something of MY choice, …a crowded pub for instance (me and Mrs have seats booked Monday for 2 England and Holland games btw :sunglasses: :smiley: ) and not because some ■■■■ thinks that it’s fine to ‘protect’ their staff, but to hell with a few random drivers. :imp:

Anyhow. that is my take on it, what about you lot?

I’m still stunned that we had the best chance of sacking off these waiting rooms forever (by collectively refusing to go back inot them after 2 years of being able to sit in our cabs), and we blew it by complying with this crap again at the earliest opportunity. It almost seemed as if some were desperate to get back into them.

ezydriver:
I’m still stunned that we had the best chance of sacking off these waiting rooms forever (by collectively refusing to go back inot them after 2 years of being able to sit in our cabs), and we blew it by complying with this crap again at the earliest opportunity. It almost seemed as if some were desperate to get back into them.

Of course they want to get back in, for some it’s there only source to tell their trucking tales to the unfortunate soul sat next to them

ezydriver:
(by collectively refusing to go back inot them after 2 years of being able to sit in our cabs), and we blew it by complying with this crap again at the earliest opportunity.

That’s the nub of it with the industry, drivers just do not (cannot?) act collectively, it’s every man for himself, until a particular beef crops up, then large amounts of drivers kick off saying “we should all stick together”. It’s like the fable about the frog and the scorpion; the industry can’t change it’s nature it seems.

I’ve seen this happen even amongst a small workforce of five drivers at a previous workplace: it was job and knock (sweet!) as long as you didn’t blatantly take the mick. One guy repeatedly did, despite the rest of us telling him he was going to spoil it for everyone, this attracted unwanted attention, and the job-and-knock was knocked on the head :unamused:

The range at avonmouth hold open a plastic bag for your keys to be dropped . Then give you the plastic bag back when done.
Or they use to haven’t been there for a few months.now.
But at least they allow you to sit in your truck.

I think a lot of drivers in this kind of RDC work, are the type, that needs to be told how to tie velcro shoe laces… those who don’t need their hand holding, and don’t want to be treated like children, tend to work in jobs that don’t involve RDC’s :grimacing:

Most if these jobs, are with companies, where they are told how, and when, to do everything, from arriving at the gate, to leaving. Likewise when they arrive at a destination, they need precise instructions on queuing, booking in, and how and where to (un)load. Just watch drivers and aimlessly about, stressed out, when they arrive at a place, and there is no babysitter at the gate…

They are the same types who wear there hi-viz whilst having a meal… I mean, how f××××ng brain dead are you, when you don’t even take off your hi-viz, to go into a place, to sit down and have a meal??

Here’s a salient example of what can be done when drivers are unionised and can act collectively, 10% pay rise when others are being offered single digit rises. Think you need a login to read the whole piece but here’s a snippet

Unite wins tanker drivers on Adsa and Euro Garages contracts ‘ground-breaking’ pay rises
Unite said it had agreed a “ground-breaking deal” that secured the jobs of tanker drivers employed on Asda and Euro Garages contracts.

The union said industrial action was on the cards over a perceived threat to the drivers’ jobs, but following a vote among members, the employer had come to an agreement.

The drivers on the Asda North and South contracts are employed on an outsourced basis by Fuel Transport and Logistics (FTL) and those on the Euro Garages contract are employed by Hoyer.

Unite said the tanker drivers had become “alarmed” that Asda and Euro Garages’ owner, the Issa brothers, were in the process of rebranding and transforming Euro Garages into Asda on the Move (AOTM) stores and were using low cost fuel hauliers.

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2022/ … pay-rises/

I am the same with Covid. Not over protective nowadays, but I always get someone sat in the front seats behind me just constantly coughing which really irritates me, I open my window when they start and dont care if they get cold as it is so annoying. Also the thought always goes through my head, is it Covid?

robthedog:

ezydriver:

Of course they want to get back in, for some it’s there only source to tell their trucking tales to the unfortunate soul sat next to them

Ain’t that ^^^ the truth?

They’re usually the same ones who if there’s no waiting room available will spend the entire time pacing along their trailer and frequently ramming their stupid heads between the back of the trailer and the loading bay in the vain hope that it will make them work faster!

Zac_A:
Here’s a salient example of what can be done when drivers are unionised and can act collectively, 10% pay rise when others are being offered single digit rises. Think you need a login to read the whole piece but here’s a snippet

Unite wins tanker drivers on Adsa and Euro Garages contracts ‘ground-breaking’ pay rises
Unite said it had agreed a “ground-breaking deal” that secured the jobs of tanker drivers employed on Asda and Euro Garages contracts.

The union said industrial action was on the cards over a perceived threat to the drivers’ jobs, but following a vote among members, the employer had come to an agreement.

The drivers on the Asda North and South contracts are employed on an outsourced basis by Fuel Transport and Logistics (FTL) and those on the Euro Garages contract are employed by Hoyer.

Unite said the tanker drivers had become “alarmed” that Asda and Euro Garages’ owner, the Issa brothers, were in the process of rebranding and transforming Euro Garages into Asda on the Move (AOTM) stores and were using low cost fuel hauliers.

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2022/ … pay-rises/

Nah don’t be telling them that man ffs.
Have you not read the posts on here about how bad Unions are?
We’re better off without em apparentlly. :neutral_face:

the nodding donkey:
They are the same types who wear there hi-viz whilst having a meal… I mean, how f××××ng brain dead are you, when you don’t even take off your hi-viz, to go into a place, to sit down and have a meal??

I saw one once doing this with a hi-viz and a hard-hat, and it was only really me that batted an eyelid.

Don’t miss going in there - I tried to correct them once as they were mispronouncing the name of the company supplying product to them . I got a mouthfull from some jumped up “supervisor " behind the glass so I thought " F*^k you , I’ll just laugh everytime I hear you say the name wrong”
Is that the rather tall young lady with the long black hair that sits over to the right ?

the nodding donkey:
I think a lot of drivers in this kind of RDC work, are the type, that needs to be told how to tie velcro shoe laces… those who don’t need their hand holding, and don’t want to be treated like children, tend to work in jobs that don’t involve RDC’s :grimacing:

Most if these jobs, are with companies, where they are told how, and when, to do everything, from arriving at the gate, to leaving. Likewise when they arrive at a destination, they need precise instructions on queuing, booking in, and how and where to (un)load. Just watch drivers and aimlessly about, stressed out, when they arrive at a place, and there is no babysitter at the gate…

Got to agree with all of that. :laughing:
The type who need to be told everything by their office including where and when to wipe their arses…
The problem is it is getting to the stage now as far as I can see,.that there are more of them these days and less of us. :open_mouth:

ezydriver:

Well how about this then?

A couple of weeks ago I went to Sainsbury’s Northampton/Pineham. Done it before, handed stuff in and went back to the cab.

After about 20-30 minutes a Sainsbury’s wallah came around and said we had to go to the drivers room. On arrival there I queried the logic of this and they said it was because ‘years ago someone had been killed as the driver pulled off the bay using a spare set of keys’. "Well I said given that two trucks went up in Livingston a few days before that might have been averted if the drivers could have moved the units (a fridge fire started it so I believe), you might want to think again. And I went and sat down.

The driver opposite said why cant you follow the rules. I said I am but it is a silly rule. We drive with traffic lights every day. Why cant we be trusted here? Then it turns it was he a Huntapac driver who complained to Sainsbury’s that whilst he ‘went and sat in the drivers room, the rest of us remained in our cabs - hence the round up.’ What a goon. Some other blokes then ignored the ruling and went back to their cabs and then Huntaprat man came out with the classic ‘I don’t agree with the rule either!’ Jeez what a dope.

(lovely arse btw :laughing: )

A necessary inclusion in the post?

driveress:

(lovely arse btw :laughing: )

A necessary inclusion in the post?

Hey, it’s a ‘‘bloke’’ thing :sunglasses: . :laughing:

(Ok sorry about the sexist remark, but.I’ve just arrived from the 70s. :blush: :laughing: )

Sand Fisher:

ezydriver:

Well how about this then?

A couple of weeks ago I went to Sainsbury’s Northampton/Pineham. Done it before, handed stuff in and went back to the cab.

After about 20-30 minutes a Sainsbury’s wallah came around and said we had to go to the drivers room. On arrival there I queried the logic of this and they said it was because ‘years ago someone had been killed as the driver pulled off the bay using a spare set of keys’. "Well I said given that two trucks went up in Livingston a few days before that might have been averted if the drivers could have moved the units (a fridge fire started it so I believe), you might want to think again. And I went and sat down.

The driver opposite said why cant you follow the rules. I said I am but it is a silly rule. We drive with traffic lights every day. Why cant we be trusted here? Then it turns it was he a Huntapac driver who complained to Sainsbury’s that whilst he ‘went and sat in the drivers room, the rest of us remained in our cabs - hence the round up.’ What a goon. Some other blokes then ignored the ruling and went back to their cabs and then Huntaprat man came out with the classic ‘I don’t agree with the rule either!’ Jeez what a dope.

And that is the type of absolute snivelling ■■■■ that I hate and detest with a passion. :imp: …the type that has not been punched enough in his miserable life
Yes man, serial conformist, crawler, grass and back stabber.
My very nature wans to gouge that type’s eyes out with a sharpened spoon. :grimacing:
(My sessions start next friday btw :laughing: )

How hard is it to just state what’s in front of your face, they are still implementing their own rules to themselves looking after themselves with covid
Covid is still there so they tell us plus if it ever was there in the first place
For the simple mindset, you enter and tell them your not prepared to sit in a waiting room with other people because it’s confined and covid unfriendly
You then tell them your going to your truck and if they are not happy with that just ask for a code to get out the gate
How hard is that, there will always have the blind leading the blind in this game but come on who is not going to let you go back to the cab and if you did pull out because of it your boss would be on shaky ground if he did something about it
My God folks work it to your advantage, we all have been under restricted measures for the last 2 years
and it’s still not over, not as bad but not over, the winter will tell, it’s the new tool to use like health and safety, and GDP I think it’s called, it’s the only god dam rights you have and can use in this job
And I wouldn’t be arguing a point for the benefit of other people the only way in this game is look after yourselve only and stand up for yourself only and let the rest of the blind follow there own rules, that’s why you win because your good at your job we are a minority so they don’t push to hard because they have enough of the blind to do anything that there told
So true

Why bother sharpening the spoon? Surely blunt and slow is more satisfying?

Used to work in the VMU for Brakes Warrington. They wasn’t much cop even on that side of things. Insisted you sign a permit to work even when just picking a wagon up but never bothered with the formalities if you were called out to fix a mudguard on a trailer waiting to go out :unamused: