Brakes low

Just had my inspection today, the garage told me my near side middle brake is getting low and will need doing on my next inspection or poss the one after depending on how it is on next inspection.

I have a 2008 Daf cf75.

As I’m a novice with truck repairs, I’m just wondering…

If nearside is low, does the offside need doing as well like a pair?

How long does it take to do?

How much aprox will it cost?

As I’m off Monday I’m thinking off getting it done so it’s out the way, depending on how long it takes.

Thanks in advance

brake pads come in a pair so may aswell do o/s +n/s tgether. aslong as ure wheels come off ok & ure callipers arnt seized then 40mins top will have them both changed & back on the road inc labour shudnt be much more if any than 160 ish

what is ure truck axle wise? if its shoes then hour n half ish nd around 200 ish

truckers boy:
brake pads come in a pair so may aswell do o/s +n/s tgether. aslong as ure wheels come off ok & ure callipers arnt seized then 40mins top will have them both changed & back on the road inc labour shudnt be much more if any than 160 ish

£160 ish for parts and labour?

40 mins is pretty quick! I was thinking it be few hours.

Is pads same as brake shoes? Seem to recall him saying brake shoes.

do u have brake drums or discs?

drums = brake shoes
discs = brake pads

u could be on both discs front drums rear depending what ure axle layout is?

even still aslong as ur wheels & drums (if they are drums) come off ok i could have them done in 40 mins, dont see why others couldnt either.
if ur on discs then it could be done quicker.

160ish if on discs parts & labour inc
200ish if on drums parts & labour inc

truckers boy:

drums = brake shoes
discs = brake pads

even still aslong as ur wheels & drums (if they are drums) come off ok i could have them done in 40 mins, dont see why others couldnt either.

I have discs at front and drums at back.

Where you from? You could do it for me lol

north east, co durham mate.

what is ure truck though & i can give u a better idea? is it a 6x2 or 8x2? if ure mechanic says said shoes then im guessing 8x2 in that case my 200ish fiqure is what u should be paying around aslong as it all goes ok. but drums can be a tw*t to get off so allow for extra time & posibly a drum imo max u should pay in worst case is around 300

truckers boy:
north east, co durham mate.

what is ure truck though & i can give u a better idea? is it a 6x2 or 8x2? if ure mechanic says said shoes then im guessing 8x2 in that case my 200ish fiqure is what u should be paying around aslong as it all goes ok. but drums can be a tw*t to get off so allow for extra time & posibly a drum imo max u should pay in worst case is around 300

It’s a Daf cf75. It’s the middle axel mate. 6x2

The garage I use charge £30 per hour ( not sure if that’s cheap), I use them as I drive a concrete mixer and they know about the drums and mixer unit.

The is a mixer garage that is £20ph labour but it’s a 80 mile round trip.

we charge 25phr but it can be negotiable depending on customer

ive been backward lol. yes u will have drums on the middle axle. some reason ive been picturing a 6x2 unit lol

truckers boy:

drums = brake shoes
discs = brake pads

Menu Pricing :open_mouth:

Sharp intake of breath before estimate

Wheel Nut:

whats wrong with it?

Wheel Nut:

truckers boy:

drums = brake shoes
discs = brake pads

What you mean?

truckers boy:

Wheel Nut:

whats wrong with it?

If the menu says 1.7hrs, the mechanic does it in 40mins, it will still cost you 1.7hrs

If the job takes 3hrs I bet they will find a way to charge you for the extra 1.3hrs using words like but, and, and well yes but… :wink:

Wheel Nut:

truckers boy:

Wheel Nut:

whats wrong with it?

If the menu says 1.7hrs, the mechanic does it in 40mins, it will still cost you 1.7hrs

If the job takes 3hrs I bet they will find a way to charge you for the extra 1.3hrs using words like but, and, and well yes but… :wink:

So let’s have your expert advice, how much and how long?

mixer driver:

Wheel Nut:

truckers boy:

Wheel Nut:

whats wrong with it?

So let’s have your expert advice, how much and how long?

My comment was about garage pricing. I do agree with trucker boy, you should be able to stick a set of pads in, in an hour. But as an owner driver you could save yourself £100 by doing it yourself.

bisonparts.co.uk/brake-discs … e-r90-3801

Wheel nut, I would do it myself but I don’t even know what a brake shoe is. I use the garage as I’m useless with truck repairs.

Wheel Nut:

i no alot of garages are like that but trust me ours aint. hense why i for warned about posible drum isues,

carnt realy see to many drum issues as the trucks only 3 years old, yes i know a there will be a lot of short rip and tips so brake wear might be quite high,how many ks has it done?
drums will be far better for your job, they have been around since the year dot! discs have only been common for the last 10/15 years they dont like wheel washes,s…t and cause far more probs also they are more expensive to repair as a rule

Moose:
carnt realy see to many drum issues as the trucks only 3 years old, yes i know a there will be a lot of short rip and tips so brake wear might be quite high,how many ks has it done?
drums will be far better for your job, they have been around since the year dot! discs have only been common for the last 10/15 years they dont like wheel washes,s…t and cause far more probs also they are more expensive to repair as a rule

All my loads are short and rip runs with many stop start runs, unlike the long no brake runs most trucks get.

It’s done about 68,000miles ( not sure what that is in kms)

Moose:

I have discs on the front, I go thru wheel wash about 8 times a day and driving thru deep thick mud all day!