Brake test failure

Sounds like a classic case where contact is made with the DVSA to enlighten them about the attitude of the operator who says it is ok to use. Give them all the details, the moron’s name who says it’s ok to use, the company name and address.

One other thing, never be told by anyone if a vehicle is safe to use, especially some office rat. The ultimate responsibility is yours. If you take it out on the road and are stopped, it’s your licence. If you’re threatened with the door, tell the operator he has a duty of care to employees and then give him a two word response and leave.

Take it to the extreme, you have an accident where people are injured or worse, sure as hell the brake failure will be discovered when the vehicle is impounded and examined and guess who gets the blame.
Don’t suppose the bod in the office put the ok to carry on in writing, if he did he’s an even bigger fool than we currently know of.

:wink:

NgRich:
No I didn’t take it for deliveries just drove it back to the depot. It has been out on the road without being re tested.

Good man
As I’ve often said on here they only put you under pressure as much, or as little as YOU let them…the ■■■■.s ALL try it on in some way or another.

May be an idea to tell the poor ■■■■ that is now driving it. :bulb:

NgRich:
No I didn’t take it for deliveries just drove it back to the depot. It has been out on the road without being re tested.

It’s easy for the likes of me to comment from my keyboard, but you would have been in a world of trouble were you involved in an accident while driving a lorry that you had already been told by a mechanic had defective brakes.

When you are asked to drive an unroadworthy lorry by an unscrupulous employer, always ask them to put such requests to you via text message, email, etc. They will suddenly have a change of mind.

Olog Hai:

NgRich:

It’s easy for the likes of me to comment from my keyboard, but you would have been in a world of trouble were you involved in an accident while driving a lorry that you had already been told by a mechanic had defective brakes.

When you are asked to drive an unroadworthy lorry by an unscrupulous employer, always ask them to put such requests to you via text message, email, etc. They will suddenly have a change of mind.

Quite agree
So earlier I referred to how many part laden brake tests have low / fail results at PMI and they still get driven. However, the technicians will sign them as roadworthy for good reasons . However, if the garage says it shouldn’t be driven due to defects, that’s a very different scenario, the driver should have noted it on the walk around check which only makes it worse should something go wrong on the trip back to the yard.

It only takes five minutes to get under and adjust the brakes, less time than arguing about if it’s legal or not. Why didn’t the mechanic or driver do that, rather than making a mountain out of a molehill. Even an air leak is a quick, minor repair.

Star down under.:
It only takes five minutes to get under and adjust the brakes, less time than arguing about if it’s legal or not. Why didn’t the mechanic or driver do that, rather than making a mountain out of a molehill. Even an air leak is a quick, minor repair.

You are assuming a bit there.
It could be contaminated materials, faulty electrics, or summat else.

Old style brakes could often be taken up with a ring spanner and a lump hammer, I`ve done that myself, but not so much now.
Nowadays I would think long and hard before touching one…

Star down under.:

We’re not…

Even allowed to walk with scissors unless we’ve been trained for an afternoon on them. :smiley:

The days of driving with a large tool-box in the passenger footwell are long gone except for the likes of Punchy.

yourhavingalarf:

Star down under.:

We’re not…

Even allowed to walk with scissors unless we’ve been trained for an afternoon on them. :smiley:

The days of driving with a large tool-box in the passenger footwell are long gone except for the likes of Punchy.

Long live Dan and his ilk.
The new eurocrap probably has electronic sensors to indicate wear, but that won’t change the mechanical simplicity of adjusting S-cam brakes. Disc brakes have no adjustments needed.

Star down under.:

yourhavingalarf:

Star down under.:

We’re not…

Long live Dan and his ilk.
The new eurocrap probably has electronic sensors to indicate wear, but that won’t change the mechanical simplicity of adjusting S-cam brakes. Disc brakes have no adjustments needed.

:laughing: there are different ways of looking at this .
Could be not enough weight on or too much weight on .
It’s easy to fail with no system faults by 1% but a quick adjustment on drum brakes can make all the difference.

Prime example of not having enough weight on and not adjusting prior .

A bit more weight on and adjusted 2 days before .

yourhavingalarf:

Star down under.:

We’re not…

Guidance: Yes. A driver is permitted to perform brake adjustments at a roadside inspection providing they are done under the supervision of a qualified brake adjuster and the carrier is willing to assume responsibility for the proper adjustment.

The above statement copied from a government web site applies here in the US but it illustrates how drivers have to be supervised doing something that was a matter of course in the old days.

simcor:

Franglais:

NgRich:
If a HGV fails a brake test is it allowed to stay on the road. The mechanic said if stopped a fine will be issued the Operator said just crack on it only failed by a small percentage.
Is this like a MOT failure or can it stay on the road.
Thanks.

Is this a 6 weekly safety check? And the ticket says the brakes are not up to standard?

“If deficiencies in brake performance have been identified either during the use of the
vehicle or trailer or at the safety inspection appropriate remedial action must be taken to
address the issue. A measured brake efficiency test must also be carried out to confirm
the brakes are performing satisfactorily before the vehicle or trailer can be considered as
roadworthy”
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … hicles.pdf
Page 53.

Roller brake testing should be carried out 4 times a year including once at MOT.

Not any more: loaded (minimum 65% axle design weight) RBTs are now required at every safety inspection. Newly updated (April 2023) Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness, section 5.3
Every safety inspection must assess the braking performance of the vehicle or trailer.
From April 2025 there will be an expectation that a laden roller brake test or EBPMS will be the only accepted methods to assess brake performance.

gov.uk/government/publicati … worthiness

“The mechanic said if stopped a fine will be issued the Operator said just crack on it”
Translated:
Mechanic said “I CBA to do anything about it, and it won’t be me getting grief from the authorities, so shift your wagon pal”

Zac_A:

simcor:

Franglais:

NgRich:
If a HGV fails a brake test is it allowed to stay on the road. The mechanic said if stopped a fine will be issued the Operator said just crack on it only failed by a small percentage.
Thanks.

Is this a 6 weekly safety check? And the ticket says the brakes are not up to standard?

“If deficiencies in brake performance have been identified either during the use of the
vehicle or trailer or at the safety inspection appropriate remedial action must be taken to
address the issue. A measured brake efficiency test must also be carried out to confirm
the brakes are performing satisfactorily before the vehicle or trailer can be considered as
roadworthy”
Page 53.

Roller brake testing should be carried out 4 times a year including once at MOT.

Not any more: loaded (minimum 65% axle design weight) RBTs are now required at every safety inspection. Newly updated (April 2023) Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness, section 5.3
Every safety inspection must assess the braking performance of the vehicle or trailer.
From April 2025 there will be an expectation that a laden roller brake test or EBPMS will be the only accepted methods to assess brake performance.

“The mechanic said if stopped a fine will be issued the Operator said just crack on it”
Translated:
Mechanic said “I CBA to do anything about it, and it won’t be me getting grief from the authorities, so shift your wagon pal”

Fair enough I was just going by what was shown on the .gov website regarding frequency of testing.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

An other question to be asked did whoever sat in the cab get the air right up before each axle ?

simcor:
[Fair enough I was just going by what was shown on the .gov website regarding frequency of testing.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Well it is brand new, as of 18th April, so it’s going to be news to many people. We’ve had mandatory laden RBTs for the past two years, direct orders from the TC no less :laughing:

Zac_A:

simcor:

Franglais:

NgRich:
Thanks.

roadworthy”
Page 53.

Translated:

It’s always been assess brakes,it does not mean laden 4times as a min.

Punchy Dan:
An other question to be asked did whoever sat in the cab get the air right up before each axle ?

Haha I remember working on old CSG tanker trailers. Had to keep your right foot to the floor on accelerator while braking with your left when brake testing.

Yes from April 2025 we are expected to roller brake test everything loaded every 12 weeks … unless of course it is a triaxle trailer then it can be done unladen. Mustn’t lock under 500kg a wheel and then lock as per formula which means a total of as little as 3000Kg will pass, take in a Tandem, which has to be loaded, and its 9000kg if none lock. I give up.