Brake test failure

If a HGV fails a brake test is it allowed to stay on the road. The mechanic said if stopped a fine will be issued the Operator said just crack on it only failed by a small percentage.
Is this like a MOT failure or can it stay on the road.
Thanks.

NgRich:
If a HGV fails a brake test is it allowed to stay on the road. The mechanic said if stopped a fine will be issued the Operator said just crack on it only failed by a small percentage.
Thanks.

:open_mouth: .Irrespective of whether it is legal or not, it failed a brake test ffs.
Are you seriously willing to take a chance :open_mouth: just because your boss says …‘‘Hey chill, it’ll be fine’’ .

He’d be getting a very short and succinct answer from me, consisting of two syllables,.and the truck would be staying in the yard for some gullible idiot to take out.
:unamused:

Tell your gaffer to google Bath tipper.

Brakes…

Are non-negotiable.

Hell no, no chance it would be going out with me, whether it’s 1% below the requirement or 99% below the requirement. If it fails it fails and would not pass an MOT.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

gov.uk/government/publicati … est-report

NgRich:
Thanks.

Is this a 6 weekly safety check? And the ticket says the brakes are not up to standard?

“If deficiencies in brake performance have been identified either during the use of the
vehicle or trailer or at the safety inspection appropriate remedial action must be taken to
address the issue. A measured brake efficiency test must also be carried out to confirm
the brakes are performing satisfactorily before the vehicle or trailer can be considered as
roadworthy”
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … hicles.pdf
Page 53.

Franglais:

NgRich:
Thanks.

Is this a 6 weekly safety check? And the ticket says the brakes are not up to standard?

“If deficiencies in brake performance have been identified either during the use of the
vehicle or trailer or at the safety inspection appropriate remedial action must be taken to
address the issue. A measured brake efficiency test must also be carried out to confirm
the brakes are performing satisfactorily before the vehicle or trailer can be considered as
roadworthy”
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … hicles.pdf
Page 53.

Roller brake testing should be carried out 4 times a year including once at MOT. And has to be done with weight on the vehicle. According to the gov website.

This has to be a wind up, doesn’t it? :unamused:

NgRich:
Thanks.

No it bloody well can’t stay on the road. If this is the company you’re working for you need to report them if this is the attitude they’ve got and then go find another job. Do you want to be like that tipper driver in Bristol who ended up killing four people when the truck he was driving which had had long standing issues with the braking system had the brakes fail?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-38066824

Park it up and get another. Just out of curiosity, do you know what it failed on?

OK thanks I have another job now so will refuse to drive it and and just walk away.

NgRich:
OK thanks I have another job now so will refuse to drive it and and just walk away.

Are you going to admit to taking it after all ? :smiley:

How do you mean failed the brake test?
Loads of vehicles, including trailers, “fail” a brake test every day at PMI, typically because they are not sufficiently laden. That’s quite different to leaks, broken bits etc
Do you have any examples of how or why.

Yeah it was fully laden carried out on a rolling road with ipad so a periodic test. The mechanic who carried out the test just said it failed with 2 of the brakes. I then asked him if it was roadworthy he said no. Rang the Office they said its fine to crack on with the rest of the day.

NgRich:
Yeah it was fully laden carried out on a rolling road with ipad so a periodic test. The mechanic who carried out the test just said it failed with 2 of the brakes. I then asked him if it was roadworthy he said no. Rang the Office they said its fine to crack on with the rest of the day.

The mechanic said it was not roadworthy.

`Nuff said.

You`ve got another job now? Good for you.

NgRich:

Probably got much better posts and support if you’d included that in the OP!

NgRich:

So again…did you take it?

No I didn’t take it for deliveries just drove it back to the depot. It has been out on the road without being re tested.

I’m guessing the company don’t operate a VOR - Vehicle Off Road - system.

If that had been my place there’d have been a VOR notice put on the trailer where the suzies are so the shunters know to leave it alone or if it’s come in loaded to run it round to the garage when it gets tipped. Anything the garage is working on will get an airline lock on if all the workshop parking bays are full and the trailer is put on the normal trailer park. Only workshop can move stuff in their parking bays.