Brake problem again!

It seems my brakes on back axel are sticking or dragging or something. I’ve just had them relined. I can’t feel it dragging to much but the wheel drums are getting pretty hot.

Any ideas what can be the cause? Could it be they just need adjusting after have them relined? Any ideas?

Thanks

Oh by the way ive got a 2008 Leyland Daf cf 75

probably been over adjusted take it back in and ask them to check adjustment

Sounds like they want backing off a tad.

I’ve had this before with trailers immediately after relining.

Empty, just let your clutch up steady till she just starts to roll, then dip the clutch again.
Feel if she rolls gently to halt or stops quite suddenly - a sure sign of sticky brakes.

mattaid:
probably been over adjusted take it back in and ask them to check adjustment

My driver is now saying he don’t think the brakes are sticking or dragging but the wheel hub is getting pretty hot.

I rang my garage, they told me to leave it until next week as they are most prob just bedding in after having the reline. He said if it’s still same next week to bring it in.

By which time, if it is the brakes, the linings will be glazed & the drums will be blued & possibly cracked.

Nearly said in above post though, they might ease off after a day or so.

Odd the hubs are getting hot just after a brake reline. Very likely connected.

do all the hubs feel about same temp :question: i would think they only took the drums off to reline and not desturbed the hubs so could be heat transfer. but i have been on lots of breakdowns with brakes binding after reline or just been mot due to brake adjusted to close

mattaid:
do all the hubs feel about same temp :question: i would think they only took the drums off to reline and not desturbed the hubs so could be heat transfer. but i have been on lots of breakdowns with brakes binding after reline or just been mot due to brake adjusted to close

So you think it’s most prob a case of them over adjusting them from when they have relined the brakes?

It does seem to be the wheel hubs that have had the reline that get warmer

No doubt about it.

mixer driver:
My driver is now saying he don’t think the brakes are sticking or dragging but the wheel hub is getting pretty hot.

I rang my garage, they told me to leave it until next week as they are most prob just bedding in after having the reline. He said if it’s still same next week to bring it in.

Thats what I’d go with if you think they are not dragging, until they’re bedded fully one part of the lining will be doing all the work until it wears away and the rest of the lining comes into contact with the drum.

Driveroneuk:
Sounds like they want backing off a tad.

I’ve had this before with trailers immediately after relining.

Empty, just let your clutch up steady till she just starts to roll, then dip the clutch again.
Feel if she rolls gently to halt or stops quite suddenly - a sure sign of sticky brakes.

I was empty and tried this and she rolled pretty far and came to a slow stop, so it seems they ain’t locked on.

I drove the truck today ( im no fitter) and noticed that they might be sticking a tad but not much but if I give the brake a quick tap then it releases fully. I was empty on a very slight hill. I released the park brake but didn’t move, I then give the brake a tap and rolled. It was on a very very slight hil.

Sounds like they need readjusting unless its a caliper problem? I would take it back and have it checked over.

Mrknowitall:
Sounds like they need readjusting unless its a caliper problem? I would take it back and have it checked over.

It seems most think the brakes have been over adjusted. I’ll get my fitter to check it at the weekend and slaken them off a little.

Mrknowitall:

Calipers on drums, that is an interesting fault :laughing:

please explain what you mean…

maybe the rubber brake blocks are worn

Wheel Nut:

Yeah I spotted that Malcolm, but to put it in fitter speak, thought I would “leave it & let it develop” rather than comment. I thought somebody would pick it up. :wink:

I told a chap who’s brakes were sqeeking they probably needed oiling. :wink:

Coincidentally, my car has developed a rattle from the R/N/S.
Turns out to be worn caliper bushes and/or slider bolts.
Guess they’re entitled to be worn at 146,000 miles.

Wheel Nut:

Mrknowitall:

I’m toally thick when it comes to truck mechanics.

What do you mean?

Driveroneuk:

Wheel Nut:

Yeah I spotted that Malcolm, but to put it in fitter speak, thought I would “leave it & let it develop” rather than comment. I thought somebody would pick it up. :wink:

I told a chap who’s brakes were sqeeking they probably needed oiling. :wink:

Coincidentally, my car has developed a rattle from the R/N/S.
Turns out to be worn caliper bushes and/or slider bolts.
Guess they’re entitled to be worn at 146,000 miles.

I know a lad who sprayed WD40 onto the brake discs of a Austin 1300 he was doing a PDI on, because they looked rusty. He got nicknamed two speedos Alvin, because he looked like Stardust and bought a new motorbike with a revcounter

mixer driver:

Wheel Nut:

Mrknowitall:

I’m toally thick when it comes to truck mechanics.

What do you mean?

PMSL. :laughing: :unamused:

Is there any hope? Bring on the DCPC - I hope there’s a mechanical section.

How can drivers have any vehicle sympathy if they have no understanding at all of how it works?

Sorry mix, not a personal dig at you, but it just highlights how things are.

Well spotted everyone :laughing: its been a long time since i worked on brake systems :smiley: if they r manuel adjusters no problem, but if they r self adjusting they can be a pain as they dont always do there job right :smiley: im glad to be of help :smiley:

Mrknowitall:
Well spotted everyone :laughing: its been a long time since i worked on brake systems :smiley: if they r manuel adjusters no problem, but if they r self adjusting they can be a pain as they dont always do there job right :smiley: im glad to be of help :smiley:

mixer driver:

Mrknowitall:

I’m lost here! Lol

It’s all gone straight over my head!

So do most think it’s just a case of my brakes needing adjusting?