Blowout

Suffered my first blowout tonight, happened on the A421 Bedford :unamused:
Didnt half go with a bang,
A typical well boss moment, gonna need new lights and mudguard :unamused:

It could have been a lot worse so I wouldnt worry :smiley:

There good fun on the front at speed, :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

The last one i had took out the wheel arch,both arch brackets and the rear n/s light cluster…top quality bandvalc tyres :open_mouth:

How loud is a typical blowout? Reason I ask is I would hate to not hear one on my trailer and I drive mainly under darkness so its hard to see the tyres, I suppose I would feel it maybe? Never had one so have no experience of one. Touch wood I never have one and I do make a point of checking tyre treads and tyre walls for nasties as any good driver should before taking it on the road.

Oi washy you could of got that back lol

Hiya…you can hear the tyres blow on a trailer, i would say the noise is more of a thud. I dod ,nt thiunk i,ve
ever felt any diffrence. I had a front drivers side tyre blow off years ago. it was a new tyre fitted only 3 days
before.i was just going into barnstaple and had slowed down for a pedestrian crossing then at 10mph bang.
I,am certain if i,d been doing 60 mph on a motorway it would have been a crash job.keep 2 hands on the wheel.
John

I had a nearside steer axle blowout at 56mph in the worst imaginable place, half way across the Severn Bridge and I had always imagined that if this happened it would immediately throw the truck over to the left, but although it went with a hell of a bang, it didn’t throw the truck off course at all, in fact I didn’t even feel it through the steering wheel.

I remember last year overtaking a truck on the A3 near petersfield, heard a loud bang/thud and the cab shook, wondered wtf had happened til i looked in the mirror and saw the other truck pulling onto the hard shoulder, had a blowout in the nearside front :confused:

I had a blowout thursday night on my trailer. Just heard a major bang and decided to pull in a lay-by and check. Just as well i did. It ripped the abs senser out, demolised heat shield and took out the marker light.

Alcpone:
How loud is a typical blowout? Reason I ask is I would hate to not hear one on my trailer and I drive mainly under darkness so its hard to see the tyres, I suppose I would feel it maybe? Never had one so have no experience of one. Touch wood I never have one and I do make a point of checking tyre treads and tyre walls for nasties as any good driver should before taking it on the road.

No amount of tyre checking will prevent a blow out, funny thing rubber, especially when its done the best part of 3k km in a week, running round farms and dodgy farm roads.
Mine went with a bang, not only could you hear it, you saw a nice cloud of dust and sparks as it ripped the rear lights apart :unamused:

Ive had a couple go on the trailers you certainley know when theyve gone the last one was the front axle no body damage but frightened the crap out of the boy racer overtaking me :smiley: :smiley:

when checking round tyres look how many remoulds youve got fitted and that will give you an idea as to how many blowouts to expect as in the most basic form they are a new tread cap bonded onto a warn out tyre caseing, so without running over summert on a site or the road they are more likely to blow off than a new tyre

the big un:
Ive had a couple go on the trailers you certainley know when theyve gone the last one was the front axle no body damage but frightened the crap out of the boy racer overtaking me :smiley: :smiley:

now that i’d have liked to have seen :smiling_imp:

Moose:
when checking round tyres look how many remoulds youve got fitted and that will give you an idea as to how many blowouts to expect as in the most basic form they are a new tread cap bonded onto a warn out tyre caseing, so without running over summert on a site or the road they are more likely to blow off than a new tyre

That’s a very good point, re-treads are probably worse than remoulds i feel. it was a remould that went on me on Friday though :unamused:

I was filling up at Whitwood once and the truck next to me that was also filling up suddenly had a drive axle tyre blow out, literally 10ft away from me. The noise and blast startled me that much that I fell over onto the ground. Never heard anything like it in my entire life and my ears were ringing for a good 5 mins afterwards. :open_mouth:

Rob K:
I was filling up at Whitwood once and the truck next to me that was also filling up suddenly had a drive axle tyre blow out, literally 10ft away from me. The noise and blast startled me that much that I fell over onto the ground. Never heard anything like it in my entire life and my ears were ringing for a good 5 mins afterwards. :open_mouth:

must admit, if that was me, i think bodily fluids would have been released :blush:

I drive a tanker and the discharge controls are situated on the n/s rear of the trailer above the 3 axles .

Last year one of our drivers was discharging the tanker when the rear tyre let go :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

He’s a big ole boy , but the force of the blast threw him clean across the yard !! He was lucky he only escaped with relatively minor injuries . It even removed his clothes for him :confused:

Alcpone:

My dad had one on the nearside of the ERF he was driving at the time, unit not trailer though. He kept her on the road but the bang was so loud his hearing was never 100% on that side again. If it’s always that loud (mabe its not) I’m sure you’d hear it go on the trailer. He was always a stickler for driving with both hands on the wheel and said he’d have been in the ditch if he’d been driving one handed when his tyre went.

the last 2 blowouts i have had were both on the n/s rear of my trailer,and both of them blew the air suspension valve off,not nice when you are in the middle lane of the m1and your air is dropping rapidly.

ive had 2 n/s/f steer axle blow outs on the same truck loaded.the first was coming round spaghetti junction onto the a34 right at the top…i heard a loud bang,followed by lots of smoke,but the truck kept going straight thank god (it was a long way down over the side).i couldnt let go of the steering wheel when i stopped for about ten minutes…and had a teeth clenched face for about half an hour.it took out my air pipes and whole of passanger step.
the second one was coming up the outside lane of the a1 round micklefield,when i coudlnt avoid running over a strap lying in the road…that was more of a delayed burst,but again kept straight…i was more annoyed waiting 2 hours for the tyre company on my way home on a friday afternoon…im wondering what my super singles will go off like if one decides to go now :frowning: