Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Thank you Oily .

Hi mark and jakey a couple of pics

image.jpeg

image-27.jpg

thank you .

Chatfield’s removal body builders.

1974 removals chatfield1.PNG

1974 removal chatfield.PNG

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

I think more Ford Dealers than Chatfield’s were supplying these Ford-Boalloys a this one we ran was supplied new to us by Mann-Eggerton Norwich, unless at the time Chatfields & Mann-Eggerton were part of the same group.

It was a popular van with drivers as it was so fast with its Turbo-charged engine. I had heard (Although he never admitted officially) one of our drivers was caught on M6 north of Carlisle doing 95MPH. I was subsequently told at one of our reunions he was hoping he got accross the Scottish Border as he thought the English police would have no juristriction & he would get off.

In any event they were not too popular. I personally didn’t like the ribbed alluminium body (Cheap & tacky) and the GVW was too light which for us reduced to use to Furniture Removals mainly, as most of our loads ie. white goods, textiles and new furniture would overload.

Never the less it proved not a bad vehicle.

RPT602M.jpg

Carl Williams:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,

I think more Ford Dealers than Chatfield’s were supplying these Ford-Boalloys a this one we ran was supplied new to us by Mann-Eggerton Norwich, unless at the time Chatfields & Mann-Eggerton were part of the same group.

It was a popular van with drivers as it was so fast with its Turbo-charged engine. I had heard (Although he never admitted officially) one of our drivers was caught on M6 north of Carlisle doing 95MPH. I was subsequently told at one of our reunions he was hoping he got accross the Scottish Border as he thought the English police would have no juristriction & he would get off.

In any event they were not too popular. I personally didn’t like the ribbed alluminium body (Cheap & tacky) and the GVW was too light which for us reduced to use to Furniture Removals mainly, as most of our loads ie. white goods, textiles and new furniture would overload.

Never the less it proved not a bad vehicle.

One thing I should add. I can hear the questions now Why did we buy if it had ribbed Alluminium body & not Fibreglass or was not heavy enough?

Money Money money! We were offered 25% discount off list price.

JAKEY:
Just keeping a old furniture bumper on his toes “John” ,what do you reckon Mark ? , I bet your Porter always bought the breakfast too ? , polished the cab from top to bottom and swept the back out ? :laughing: and I bet he walked backwards up the stairs ? :laughing:

:smiley: Jakey at my age now the porters always walk backwards downstairs and up :smiley: regards sweeping back out and cleaning cab…they got to be led like sheep to water it don’t come natural to them…much there crisps and pasties there side of the cab and leave there mess on the floor…little gentle reminder like throwing the hand brush at them :laughing:
Those blankets are spot on Jakey that’s the way I like mine on the van…I’m a stickler for it anybody knows me will tell you :exclamation:

The Wokingham Pantechnicon ad is interesting as I lived in Reading and actually worked for a Bedford dealer in Wokingham yet have never heard of them before today! Maybe a short-lived company? A local company in Reading itself was Modern Vehicle Constructors who built all types of van, Modern Display in Reading had several of their integral pantechnicon products on overseas exhibiton transportation work usually on BMC chassis, I wonder if MVC are still trading?

Pete.

smallcoal:
Hi mark and jakey a couple of pics

Hi John,
Some nice pics there mate …love the G Plan Mastiff.
I spoke to the guy driving that Fletchers D series back around 99…2000 on Taunton Dean services he was carrying plastic drums if my memory is right…I remeber him telling me the body was an old Vanplan body…but she stood out on the road because of her age…also use to see the Trader they had also.

Regards Mark

image-34.jpg

These were a favourite with a lot of the removal companys back in the day when Rest Assured had finished with them…the were and ideal removal van nice walk in tailboards ideal removal van.

Looking at this one you have posted here John…you rarely seen one of this size…this looks around 2000ft van…the many Rest Assured had were 1800ft vans.

Regards Mark

image-27.jpg

Hi All,
I was up at Britannia Fleets this week and found this little Gem in the corner of there yard in between there steel storage containers…this old Britannia Move it from Essex Bedford Marsden integral…it’s in Mont condition been off the road a few years but lovely looking truck…proper old removal van.

marktaff:
Hi All,
I was up at Britannia Fleets this week and found this little Gem in the corner of there yard in between there steel storage containers…this old Britannia Move it from Essex Bedford Marsden integral…it’s in Mont condition been off the road a few years but lovely looking truck…proper old removal van.

marktaff:
Hi All,

Just ■■■■ on the pics guys…my phone has a mind of its own

Hi mark and jakey some more pics ,cracking find there mark ,what a nice looking scania on here

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One more

Great photos from all of you today ,Mark that old Bedford would be a nice motor done up ! ,love the Schepens Scania ,if I recall correctly it was only a 240bhp motor though and it was built by Unique .

A few more courtesy of Richard Says.
Oily

Removals Richard 39471467794_57865bcf7d_k rs .jpg

Removals Richard 38289709414_b11e2251fe_k rs.jpg

Removals Richard 37569030504_42eee87831_k rs .jpg

Removals Richard 36986061943_73243c0c0e_k rs .jpg

Removals Richard 36286564131_d020ee5cff_k rs .jpg

Removals Richard 35776512053_076dc386cb_krs .jpg

Removals Richard 34883580493_c3597aae63_krs .jpg

Removals Richard 33993581635_5a5c0dcad0_krs .jpg

Removals Richard 33507112725_5cd8b2d478_k.rs jpg.jpg

Removals Richard 32789364463_bc85102923_krs .jpg

very nice liverys on some of these motors ,thank you Oily .

"the hoff " in Dumfermline yesterday .

JAKEY:
"the hoff " in Dumfermline yesterday .

Hi Jakey,
Truck looking nice there in the sunshine in Dumferline…the new bridge is open now crossed it about a month ago…great sight it is to…The Hoff got anything coming back mate ?

Attached pic of me today parked up in Montauban south of France bank holiday today can’t move …on a retail park…plenty here to do though.