Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:
Advert from 1960.

Bit before my time,anyone know the make of the main truck in the advert ?

Click on page twice.

Hi Dean, The “Rest Assured” furniture van is an Albion. If you click on the picture,
the Albion badge is just about visible. Regards, Ray.

Thanks Ray. :smiley: :wink:

I just found this picture of a Furniture/Removal van, It is from Eindhoven in Holland,
and I am assuming that it is a DAF, because DAF lorries and cars were made in Eindhoven.
I believe there is a DAF Museum in the city. I have just read the signwriting above the
windscreen, “INTERNATIONAL MEUBELTRANSPORT”, and with my very limited knowledge
of European languages, Meubel is furniture in Dutch, I know that Mueble (Different Spelling")
is furniture in Spanish. Ray Smyth.

DEANB:
Advert from 1960.

Bit before my time,anyone know the make of the main truck in the advert ?

Click on page twice.

Snap

Like a London bus you wait of one and another 2 come along even if you can’t see the one on the far left.

Albion Victor passenger chassis with bodywork by Arlington. Bodies OK well almost Chassis well below par

Indalo Transport is operated by Mike Cox, doing regular round trips from where he lives in Mojacar
in Almeria Province in South East Spain, to locations in the United Kingdom. Ray Smyth.

Indalo 1.png

Indalo 2.png

Removals, Belgium style, 1950’s

Fergie47:
Removals, Belgium style, 1950’s

Lovely pic there mate bet fun and games unloading

Spurlings body builder advert from 1964.

Click on page twice.

Hi lads ,sorry not been on busy in work and dad not to good a lot on my plate at the moment here’s some nice pics,hi mark I did a delivery to krislyns this week we were talking about Jones removals as he did all there work on the trucks he knows your old man when I said you work for robbins he was surprised he told me the story of the marsden and why it was taller on the front ,Herbert’s Luton was 4 inches higher than Jones they fitted it and when they told neil they said they would level it out and fibreglass the whole roof Neil said no leave it as it is cause he didn’t want to spend more money on it we had a good laugh and chat down there

I saw this Matthew James trailer parked beside the beach at Mojacar in Almeria Province in Southeast Spain
last year. About an hour later I saw it coupled up to its 6 wheeler on its way back to England, but I didn’t
get my camera out quick enough to capture an image. I think this trailer is the one on the right of your
first picture above. I will be in Mojacar from Sept 18th this week for a 2 week holiday, and keep my eyes
peeled for removal lorries. About 20 yards to the right of my picture is one of many beach bars, it was
owned and run for many years by Gordon Goody, the last of The Great Train Robbers. Until about 2 years
ago, he lived in a pretty hillside village called Bedar, approx. 10 miles inland from this location until he
passed away through ill health. Some other well known people who lived in this area until quite recently
were singer Peter Sarstedt, who sang “Where do you go to my lovely”, and Anne Kirkbride the actress from
Coronation Street, who was “Diedre Barlow”, both no longer with us, RIP.

Regads, Ray Smyth.

Hi lads ,you lot done a disappearing act Steve and mark as you not been on :laughing:

Hi mark, we got an ex Christie owner driver with us Steve Jones he knew all the drivers knew all w Jones and your old man I showed him this pic it was owned by a neath driver called Martin

Gathered another one or two thanks to fellow flickrites.
Oily

Removals Ronnie 5342432031_374f889e5c_rcc o.jpg

Removals Mark H 6771266133_b36b960182_mh b.jpg

Removals Lee Bristol cc by sa 2.07710030242_1c4e465f21_lb k.jpg

Removals 8077069846_4af4efbbf8_ot.jpg

smallcoal:
Hi mark, we got an ex Christie owner driver with us Steve Jones he knew all the drivers knew all w Jones and your old man I showed him this pic it was owned by a neath driver called Martin

Hi John,
Not been on for a while mate been busy with family things…sorry to hear your Dad not been well mate also…hope he’s ok mate ?

That D series here if I’m not mistaken was CTG 207V Ex Associated with the sleeper luton I knew Martin very well…Martin Llewellyn from Seven Sisters he worked for my old man when he finished with Griff Fender…disappeared for a couple of years then turned up with that D series. …we also had the sisters to her 200V. …205V and 208V bought them off Ken Tapp RJ Bown Caerphilly. …will dig photos out of the ones we had.

image.jpeg-3.jpg

marktaff:

smallcoal:

Hi John,
Not been on for a while mate been busy with family things…sorry to hear your Dad not been well mate also…hope he’s ok mate ?

That D series here if I’m not mistaken was CTG 207V Ex Associated with the sleeper luton I knew Martin very well…Martin Llewellyn from Seven Sisters he worked for my old man when he finished with Griff Fender…disappeared for a couple of years then turned up with that D series. …we also had the sisters to her 200V. …205V and 208V bought them off Ken Tapp RJ Bown Caerphilly. …will dig photos out of the ones we had.

Hi mark,don’t know how long he got he can’t have anymore chemo and he signed a dnr with the doctor so we got no idea ,the fords Jones bought of Bowns as well ,do you remember a driver called boots had a green d series ,if you ever go up krislyns he can tell you stories about the furniture trucks I been watching moving story on you tube all 8 series see the vans and the warehouse proper removal men and they show the marsden being driven ,how’s your mam and the little one hope ok

Hi John,
I’m sorry to hear that about your Dad mate thats tought to swallow mate…I wish him the best !
My Mam not good either mate but new baby doing great thanks for asking.

Yes i do remember Boots…didn’t they call him Bootsy…not the Illtyd Thomas Bootsy…he had a couple of vans if I remember and small Luton van he called the Rush Wagon or something like that…I think he did a lot of work out of Outline ?

I haven’t spoke to Chris from Krislyn for quite a few years…but I think the guy who knows me also you were talking to is Chris Lloyd ?

oiltreader:
Gathered another one or two thanks to fellow flickrites.
Oily

Some lovely pics there Oily.
Love the Pickfords ERF if I’m not mistaken it was based in Manchester that one in its day.

Removals Colin Pidoux 8440755835_ee1dec3442_cp o.jpg

I dont reckon there is another removal firm that has gone as far as H.Smith & Sons overland.

Click on pages twice to read.

remoals smiths cm3 1974.PNG

DEANB:
I dont reckon there is another removal firm that has gone as far as H.Smith & Sons overland.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean,
This is a great article. …this company H Smith realy were the dogs back in the day…those Leyland Chieftain’s were a real sight on the road wagon and drag…They worked for Davis Turner to running out to Some of the Russian states…not sure weather they are still around there days.
I love the way they mention they had a good repetition for experience guys finding them…training younger porters up to become HGV 3 Drivers…the younger generation don’t want to know the furniture game these days.

marktaff:
Hi John,
I’m sorry to hear that about your Dad mate thats tought to swallow mate…I wish him the best !
My Mam not good either mate but new baby doing great thanks for asking.

Yes i do remember Boots…didn’t they call him Bootsy…not the Illtyd Thomas Bootsy…he had a couple of vans if I remember and small Luton van he called the Rush Wagon or something like that…I think he did a lot of work out of Outline ?

I haven’t spoke to Chris from Krislyn for quite a few years…but I think the guy who knows me also you were talking to is Chris Lloyd ?

Yes that’s him he had a few artics as well his cab was green in colour ,yes he mostly pulled out of outline ,Steve Perry the transport manager for outline is traffic controller for Sheffield insulation in Cardiff ,Steve Jones with us owned a couple of the black erfs he knew your old man ,sorry about your mam give her my best ,bet you spoiling the baby :smiley: