Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

marktaff:

DEANB:
I dont reckon there is another removal firm that has gone as far as H.Smith & Sons overland.

Hi Dean,
This is a great article. …this company H Smith realy were the dogs back in the day…those Leyland Chieftain’s were a real sight on the road wagon and drag…They worked for Davis Turner to running out to Some of the Russian states…not sure weather they are still around there days.
I love the way they mention they had a good repetition for experience guys finding them…training younger porters up to become HGV 3 Drivers…the younger generation don’t want to know the furniture game these days.

Hello Mark, I enjoyed reading about them and they certainly went to some far off places. :wink:

Cracking TK.

smallcoal:

marktaff:
Hi John,
I’m sorry to hear that about your Dad mate thats tought to swallow mate…I wish him the best !
My Mam not good either mate but new baby doing great thanks for asking.

Yes i do remember Boots…didn’t they call him Bootsy…not the Illtyd Thomas Bootsy…he had a couple of vans if I remember and small Luton van he called the Rush Wagon or something like that…I think he did a lot of work out of Outline ?

I haven’t spoke to Chris from Krislyn for quite a few years…but I think the guy who knows me also you were talking to is Chris Lloyd ?

Yes that’s him he had a few artics as well his cab was green in colour ,yes he mostly pulled out of outline ,Steve Perry the transport manager for outline is traffic controller for Sheffield insulation in Cardiff ,Steve Jones with us owned a couple of the black erfs he knew your old man ,sorry about your mam give her my best ,bet you spoiling the baby :smiley:

I thought it was the same Bootsy mate…you know what he’s doing now Bootsy ?
I don’t recall Steve Perry at Outline…Ivor James was in charge of transport when we were in there…the black ERF’s Steve Jones had were they X Tylers tractors ?
Baby is being spoilt thanks for asking.

DEANB:
Cracking TK.

That is a cracking TK1260 Dean…very popular back in the day…500 engine flying machines before the limiters came in. …Sid Abrahams the Bedford dealers in Manchester sold many of these with the ribbed ally bodies.

marktaff:

DEANB:
Cracking TK.

That is a cracking TK1260 Dean…very popular back in the day…500 engine flying machines before the limiters came in. …Sid Abrahams the Bedford dealers in Manchester sold many of these with the ribbed ally bodies.

Like you say Mark ,by far the most popular removal chassis was the Bedford. :wink:

Whats happened to “JAKEY” ■■ :unamused:

Heres a couple more Bedford’s.

Click on pages.

removal p bed1 pr.PNG

marktaff:

DEANB:
Cracking TK.

Hi lads have you noticed the door on the side of the Luton noticed there’s no steps on the side unlike some

smallcoal:

marktaff:

DEANB:
Cracking TK.

Hi lads have you noticed the door on the side of the Luton noticed there’s no steps on the side unlike some

There were alot of removal trucks built with those little luton doors in the luton John. Pickfords had loads of F6’s
and Ford Cargo with them.

Very quiet on this thread at the moment ? Wheres Mark and Jakey ■■

Click on advert twice.

DEANB:

smallcoal:

marktaff:

DEANB:
Cracking TK.

There were alot of removal trucks built with those little luton doors in the luton John. Pickfords had loads of F6’s

Click on advert twice.

The lutons were used as sleepers they had ladders fitted to the side ,I don’t know where Steve is I think mark is busy with work and family

Hello Dean ,John and Mark ,still about busy as hell !!! :smiley: thank god although the phones are starting to quiten down a bit ,warehouse is full at 100% and have needed to hire one container off another company to tide me over.

Trying to get my son who is a porter on the insurance was impossible unless we bought my dads last van (Renault Kangoo) out of retirement ! been in the warehouse 5 years :open_mouth: started first time with a jumpstart :laughing: new battery ,two bulbs what i had robbed a few years ago, pair of wipers and straight through MOT :laughing: lad now uses here as a panic van ,box collections etc ,he cleaned her ,polish next week ,i send a photo this week.

Prices have started to drop already :imp: ,told this week i was to expensive !! trip to southern ireland (tranship both houses) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

smallcoal:

marktaff:
Hi John,

Yes that’s him he had a few artics as well his cab was green in colour ,yes he mostly pulled out of outline ,Steve Perry the transport manager for outline is traffic controller for Sheffield insulation in Cardiff ,Steve Jones with us owned a couple of the black erfs he knew your old man ,sorry about your mam give her my best ,bet you spoiling the baby :smiley:

This mention of artics reminded me of an accident I was involved in during the late 60´s. I had what I thought was a great Ford Zodiac Executive that was hit up the rear whilst I was stopped at lights on Commercial road, Poplar. I was hit up the rear hit by a D Series artic removal van whose driver had fallen asleep over the wheel… This was told to me by coppers of the Met traffic police who were parked up at the lights. They witnessed the whole accident. I was slammed into the side of a KM artic that was coming out of the road to my left. My poor Ford did a lot of damage to that wagon and sent the driver flying across his cab, poor bloke. It was quite an accident.

This was the first artic removal wagon I ever saw (and then quite close up!). I seem to recall it was pale blue (a factory colour I think) with orange highlights. I believe it was based in Essex (Tilbury/Harwich?). Ring any bells?

Incidentally it took a long time to get paid out by their insurer and that only happened when I got legal counsel to write to them!

JAKEY:
Hello Dean ,John and Mark ,still about busy as hell !!! :smiley: thank god although the phones are starting to quiten down a bit ,warehouse is full at 100% and have needed to hire one container off another company to tide me over.

Trying to get my son who is a porter on the insurance was impossible unless we bought my dads last van (Renault Kangoo) out of retirement ! been in the warehouse 5 years :open_mouth: started first time with a jumpstart :laughing: new battery ,two bulbs what i had robbed a few years ago, pair of wipers and straight through MOT :laughing: lad now uses here as a panic van ,box collections etc ,he cleaned her ,polish next week ,i send a photo this week.

Prices have started to drop already :imp: ,told this week i was to expensive !! trip to southern ireland (tranship both houses) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi Steve,glad you busy mate bet you had a tear in your eye when the van started and back on the road bet your old man has a big smile on his face up there :smiley:

JAKEY:

Hello Gentleman been busy hope you are all well !
Steve it as slowed down with us …the usuaĺ company’s cutting the rates in your area ?

Must have been a bit emotional seeing your dad’s van back on the road…especially with your lad driving it.

DEANB:

smallcoal:

marktaff:

DEANB:
Cracking TK.

Click on advert twice.

Hi Dean/ John,
That Power Bodies advert is a blast from the past Dean…they actually built 80% of the bodies for Pickfords during the 80s in to the early 90s before going on to Bevans in the Midlands…I think Power Bodies went bust not long after.
The reason Pickfords put the door entry on the lutons was mainly to gain access to the front of the vehicle for insurance reasons…very rarely used the lutons as sleeping accomadation…the cabs always had sleeping accomadation for one man…Coffin sleepers we used to call them not a lot of space…pretty much the same spec as this Marsden integral here.

download.jpeg.jpg

Dipster:

smallcoal:

marktaff:
Hi John,

This mention of artics reminded me of an accident I was involved in during the late 60´s. I had what I thought was a great Ford Zodiac Executive that was hit up the rear whilst I was stopped at lights on Commercial road, Poplar. I was hit up the rear hit by a D Series artic removal van whose driver had fallen asleep over the wheel… This was told to me by coppers of the Met traffic police who were parked up at the lights. They witnessed the whole accident. I was slammed into the side of a KM artic that was coming out of the road to my left. My poor Ford did a lot of damage to that wagon and sent the driver flying across his cab, poor bloke. It was quite an accident.

This was the first artic removal wagon I ever saw (and then quite close up!). I seem to recall it was pale blue (a factory colour I think) with orange highlights. I believe it was based in Essex (Tilbury/Harwich?). Ring any bells?

Incidentally it took a long time to get paid out by their insurer and that only happened when I got legal counsel to write to them!

Hi Dipster,
The only company I can think of who ran removal artics back ten with those type of colours was Pickings from that sought of area ?

images.jpeg-1.jpg

marktaff:

Dipster:

smallcoal:

marktaff:
Hi John,

Hi Dipster,
The only company I can think of who ran removal artics back ten with those type of colours was Pickings from that sought of area ?

Luckings that should have read :blush:

oiltreader:
Gathered another one or two thanks to fellow flickrites.
Oily

Hi Oily, Thats a great shot of Luckings Albion a 1948 Tynemouth reg, Thanks for posting all these classic photos, Regards Larry.

Hi mark,found this pic taken in station rd port talbot Pickford on one side w Jones on the other

image.jpeg

Hello Mark , yes it was very tearful as they were and are both “HENRYS” ,he loves the fact it was his granddads van :smiley: , we want him to help our the crews ,so if he is tipping one and the other crew is local and struggling he has to go and help , also we thinking of getting him on a courier contract foe Xmas ,at the moment its box deliveries and collections and dropping and collect the odd items for the kitchen/bathroom companies .#

He is tarting her up as he goes,new set of steel wheels going on Monday as Dad tended to bash the kerbs :imp: .

Lawrence Dunbar:

oiltreader:
Gathered another one or two thanks to fellow flickrites.
Oily

Hi Oily, Thats a great shot of Luckings Albion a 1948 Tynemouth reg, Thanks for posting all these classic photos, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry,
I wonder if it had been new to Alfred Bell. They ran a lot of Albion removal vans as this article from Commercial Motor illustrates

How Alfred Bell dealt with removals in 1932. I don’t think we’ll ever see the like of that again!

INTERESTING FEATURES OF TRUNK-SERVICE OPERATION. I N addition to its normal removing business, which extends throughout the British Isles, Alfred Bell (Newcastle), Ltd., runs a trunk service, both night and day, between Newcastle and London. As the majority of vehicles employed on this long-distance work is limited to 20 m.p.h., the company has opened a depot and drivers’ hostel at Tuxford, so that changes of drivers can be made in order to comply with the Road Traffic Acts. There is accommodation at this depot for some 80 men.

At the London terminus at 24, Friern Park, North Finchley, the company has extensive covered garage accommodation and a hostel, where’ it can sleep and feed approximately 40 drivers. Vdhicles of a number of other concerns are also serviced at this terminus.

The company’s fleet is made up of Albion, Garner and Bedford vehicles, although the latest vehicle to be added to the fleet is a Thornycroft, this having been purchased mainly because of its large carrying capacity. (1,500. cubic fit.). During the past year the trunk-service vehicles covered Over 800,000 miles.

The vehicles are serviced from the head depository at Higham Place, Newcastle, which has accommodation for 3,000 loads, and every vehicle, upon completion of a journey from Newcastle to London and back, passes through the, hands of the mechanics, who check over the reports handed in by the drivers. As each vehicle is in the hands of five drivers after leaving Neweaet e until its return from London and every driver is instructed to report on his log sheet any defeats or trouble that may arise, it is passible for the’ mechanicsto maintain the fleet in first-class condition and practically to ensure an absence of breakdowns.

If it was its a pity it hadn’t been preserved in Alfred Bells red & Green livery, one of the best on the road during the 1950s

Carl

Alfred Bell.jpg