Blood pressure and medical

Can anybody tell me what the acceptable blood pressure figures are in order to pass the HGV medical ?
Last time I had trouble getting through (can’t for life of me remember the figures)
The wife bought me a treadmill and I gave it a pounding (the treadmill, not the wife :laughing: ) and eventually got it down. :sunglasses:

Got myself a bike lined up for this time, licence expiry in 3 or 4 months.
Cheers all.

180 systolic over 100 diastolic. You can buy a blood pressure tester for £20, this might be an idea as your blood pressure will vary throughout the day so it might be an idea to book the medical for the time of day when it is lowest (normally mid-afternoon).

Your GP can prescribe medication to reduce blood pressure, only problem with this is that high blood pressure is helpful in some respects so the wife may have to do with a bit less pounding. :wink:

Try pounding the wife between now and then. Should see your blood pressure figures on the plus side. Maybe not hers though…?

robroy:
Can anybody tell me what the acceptable blood pressure figures are in order to pass the HGV medical ?
Last time I had trouble getting through (can’t for life of me remember the figures)
The wife bought me a treadmill and I gave it a pounding (the treadmill, not the wife :laughing: ) and eventually got it down. :sunglasses:

Cheers all.

pretty sure it is this rob, 160/90 any higher than this and it can effect your ability to hold a hgv licence.

Don’t hold me to this but I believe that if your systolic reading (top figure) is bellow 160 you shouldn’t have too much trouble, I’ve no idea about the diastolic figure though.

Harry Monk:
180 systolic over 100 diastolic. You can buy a blood pressure tester for £20, this might be an idea as your blood pressure will vary throughout the day so it might be an idea to book the medical for the time of day when it is lowest (normally mid-afternoon).

Your GP can prescribe medication to reduce blood pressure, only problem with this is that high blood pressure is helpful in some respects so the wife may have to do with a bit less pounding. :wink:

On that note, I am informed that certain medicines marketed to enhance blood supply to the male organs have the side effect of slightly reducing the measured blood pressure.

UKtramp:

robroy:

Cheers all.

pretty sure it is this rob, 160/90 any higher than this and it can effect your ability to hold a hgv licence.

No, it is definitely 180/100.

Q. Can I still drive if I have high blood pressure?
High blood pressure and driving
Daily Life with high blood pressure: Living life to the full

A. If you have high blood pressure then you should be able to drive a car or a motorcycle for personal use with no problem. However, if your blood pressure medicines cause side-effects (problems) that could interfere with your ability to drive, then you may have to give up driving or find a different medicine. For example, beta-blocker medicines may cause you to feel dizzy or tired and if this happens to you, you may not be able to drive and, with your doctor’s help, you will need to find another medicine.

However, the medical standards for driving buses and large lorries are much higher than for those driving a car or motorcycle. This is because the vehicles are much larger and heavier and because you may spend much more time behind the wheel, especially if driving is part of your job.

If your resting blood pressure is consistently 180mmHg systolic (top or maxiumum number) or more and/or 100mmHg diastolic (bottom or minimum number) or more then you cannot drive a bus or large lorry. But the good news is that once your blood pressure has been lowered and is under control, you can then be re-licensed.

Source, bloodpressureuk.org/microsit … ly/Driving

Ok thanks for that all. :wink:
At least I’ve got some figures to work on now.
I’ll get one of those diy BP things tomorrow, and take it from there.
Thanks again.

Wasn’t TOO worried…, well not until Harry mentioned the ‘performance lowering effect’’ anyway. :open_mouth:
:laughing:

Harry Monk:

UKtramp:

robroy:

Cheers all.

No, it is definitely 180/100.

High blood pressure and driving
Daily Life with high blood pressure: Living life to the full

A. If you have high blood pressure then you should be able to drive a car or a motorcycle for personal use with no problem. However, if your blood pressure medicines cause side-effects (problems) that could interfere with your ability to drive, then you may have to give up driving or find a different medicine. For example, beta-blocker medicines may cause you to feel dizzy or tired and if this happens to you, you may not be able to drive and, with your doctor’s help, you will need to find another medicine.

However, the medical standards for driving buses and large lorries are much higher than for those driving a car or motorcycle. This is because the vehicles are much larger and heavier and because you may spend much more time behind the wheel, especially if driving is part of your job.

If your resting blood pressure is consistently 180mmHg systolic (top or maxiumum number) or more and/or 100mmHg diastolic (bottom or minimum number) or more then you cannot drive a bus or large lorry. But the good news is that once your blood pressure has been lowered and is under control, you can then be re-licensed.

Source, bloodpressureuk.org/microsit … ly/Driving

Your right Harry, the max is 180 allowable, however if you are prescribed or on medication for blood pressure I believe you have to have your charts from your GP sent to DVLA for scrutinising the reasons and readings. I know it is a bit of a pain with medical issues. I once lost my licence because my doctor once prescribed me beta blockers, I only took a few of them and threw them away. Took me months of getting my GP and the DVLA to get me back to issuing me with a licence again.

robroy:
Wasn’t TOO worried…, well not until Harry mentioned the ‘performance lowering effect’’ anyway. :open_mouth:
:laughing:

Have you consulted her about this? For all you know it might cheer her right up. :stuck_out_tongue:

my blood pressure last year was quite high,i was advised to cut out salt which I like,i gave up for three weeks and had it done again,this time it was just over 80 over 120 which they were quite pleased with,and that was because I cut out salt,the food started to taste better too

robroy:

Cheers all.

The treadmill/bike and just watching your diet (no need to cut everything out) can work wonders for blood pressure rob.
. Many cheap BP monitors on ebay.
These Omron ones are good. Always good to have imho as you can regularly take your own blood pressure in between seeing your doctor and keep a better eye on your health.
ebay.co.uk/itm/Omron-M2-Bas … Sw4CFY3RBz

AndrewG:

robroy:

Cheers all.

The diastolic limit is 100 cos my mate got knobbled with that one last year and had to park his truck up till it went down . He was put on medication and I think it was not 3 weeks till he got the all clear to drive again . Don’t know the systolic limit tho , git my medical in October not looking forward to it :unamused: do they accept big bulging envelopes to pass you :laughing:

TiredAndEmotional:

AndrewG:

robroy:

Cheers all.

The treadmill/bike and just watching your diet (no need to cut everything out) can work wonders for blood pressure rob.
. Many cheap BP monitors on ebay…

You’re medically qualified of course? You’re not? You don’t say! :unamused:

The more common side effects that can occur with amlodipine include:
swelling of your legs or ankles.
tiredness or extreme sleepiness.
stomach pain.
nausea.
dizziness.
hot or warm feeling in your face (flushing)
irregular heart rate (arrhythmia)
very fast heart rate (palpitations)

Im fit and healthy but occasionally if i am ill always self treat, saves my time and the doctors.
Last week with concussion and needing stitches, my d.i.y approach didnt quite extend that far :wink:

AndrewG:
Im a trained first responder/ first aider but no im not a qualified doctor. Im not advocating anyone self treating for extended periods just a very very small dose of a medication for possibly slightly elevated blood pressure for a very short period of time …thats all…no more no less…
Im fit and healthy but occasionally if i am ill always self treat, saves my time and the doctors.
Last week with concussion and needing stitches, my d.i.y approach didnt quite extend that far :wink:

If you say so but that still doesn’t qualify you IN ANY WAY to offer the advice you did.

TiredAndEmotional:

AndrewG:
Im a trained first responder/ first aider but no im not a qualified doctor. Im not advocating anyone self treating for extended periods just a very very small dose of a medication for possibly slightly elevated blood pressure for a very short period of time …thats all…no more no less…

If you say so but that still doesn’t qualify you IN ANY WAY to offer the advice you did.

Yes youre right and apologies for any flippant errant ‘advice’. Ive edited my posts. Up to you but if you feel you want to do the same and remove my remarks…? I dont want the thread to turn to ■■■■…

AndrewG:

TiredAndEmotional:

AndrewG:

robroy:

Cheers all.

. Many cheap BP monitors on ebay…

Haven’t been on for a while so I thought I would chip in on something I know a little about, for a change. You should always get the doctor to take you blood pressure three times, then work out an average to get your correct reading. The reason being is that, regardless of how you feel about it you will have a higher reading in the first one, you will gradually relax as the others are done thereby giving you a correct reading.
I know this as I was invited by a local hospital, the RVI in Newcastle, to attend a trial over six months assessing the effects of various foods on your blood pressure. We had blood pressure taken, and blood taken, on numerous occasions over the period during which time the doctor went into great detail about it. I told my doctor last time I went for HGV medical and he did it no problem. Got the best reading I’d had for years.

Tired and Emotional- Cheers…