Blocking a road

Alright lads and ladies. I have a flooring drop tomorrow in a small street in Clapham, SW11 but I’ll be blocking the entire street when I make my delivery and its a handball job so it could take up to an hour depending on how many are on site to help. I’ve done this before but this time the house that wants the flooring is right across from a primary school. Its got the “no stopping at X times” sign clearly visable on Google Street view plus it looks like I’m going to have to back up the entire street as I won’t be able to exit using the top street.

Where do I stand if I get a ticket? I don’t want a ticket as drivers are responsible for them and I’ll have it pay it myself!

Radar19:
Alright lads and ladies. I have a flooring drop tomorrow in a small street in Clapham, SW11 but I’ll be blocking the entire street when I make my delivery and its a handball job so it could take up to an hour depending on how many are on site to help. I’ve done this before but this time the house that wants the flooring is right across from a primary school. Its got the “no stopping at X times” sign clearly visable on Google Street view plus it looks like I’m going to have to back up the entire street as I won’t be able to exit using the top street.

Where do I stand if I get a ticket? I don’t want a ticket as drivers are responsible for them and I’ll have it pay it myself!

Just do it as quick as you like or not,don’t worry about a ticket you would have to be very unlucky to get one anyway,just say ■■■■ it and do your job,hope that helps,have a good day!!

Why will you block the street as there’s parking down both sides you could use? Are you in an artic or a rigid? If it’s the latter can’t see any problem especially if you ring the customer and ask them if they can arrange for a space to be reserved.

Tris:
Why will you block the street as there’s parking down both sides you could use? Are you in an artic or a rigid? If it’s the latter can’t see any problem especially if you ring the customer and ask them if they can arrange for a space to be reserved.

26 tonne rigid.

If you pay for your own tickets then don’t deliver.

Not sure how true this is so I would take with a pinch of rock salt. When I was doing skips, I had to do a load of drops in stupid places. Anyway, once when I was dropping a skip in a fairly busy road, load of cars start to stack in the street and were obviously getting a bit impatient as I was trying to drop a skip in a narrow gap. Anyway, a passer by who said he was a retired truck driver stated that lorry drivers are legally allowed to block a road to make a delivery or the likes for 20 minutes without repercussions or on your case, a ticket I guess.
Like I said, take it with a pinch of salt as I have never bothered to look it up. If you are there for an hour then I would have thought, if anything that you may have to put a sign up or something like roadworks use.

Hope this helps buddy!

Scraggy88:
Not sure how true this is so I would take with a pinch of rock salt. When I was doing skips, I had to do a load of drops in stupid places. Anyway, once when I was dropping a skip in a fairly busy road, load of cars start to stack in the street and were obviously getting a bit impatient as I was trying to drop a skip in a narrow gap. Anyway, a passer by who said he was a retired truck driver stated that lorry drivers are legally allowed to block a road to make a delivery or the likes for 20 minutes without repercussions or on your case, a ticket I guess.
Like I said, take it with a pinch of salt as I have never bothered to look it up. If you are there for an hour then I would have thought, if anything that you may have to put a sign up or something like roadworks use.

Hope this helps buddy!

Thats good to know, plus its not a dead end so I’m not going to stop people from exiting the street. I’ll see tomorrow when I drive past if I can actually fit up there. Should be fun trying to back up that street.

Put it this way, if any of us here were expecting such a delivery we’'d arrange parking ours and neighbours cars so that when the lorry arrives they can be moved and you’re in as best you can.

In practice inner city dwellers tend to be pretty laid back about such things as lorries in streets like that, and if they can go another way they will, if anyone it’ll be Tarquin’s mummy, either of them :wink: , complaining she can’t get her Merc Panzerwagen through and she can only go forwards but other than that minor irritation you’ll no doubt manage.

I wouldn’t be paying any parking tickets whatever happens.

2 things mate.

Firstly you can stop on those school markings all day. Except for 0815-0945 and 1500-1630. So just don’t turn up during those times and your golden…

Second thing. It’s the school holidays! Crack on! Yes I know technically those times are still in play, but in reality you can park there whenever you like!

So legally I should be in the clear, I suppose it all comes down if I can actually back up that street as I sure as hell am not driving up it!

Surely you can’t just block a road to make a delivery, in 20 mins you’d cause gridlock in most places? Unless you have an invisible permit like scaffoldersand removal companies do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Radar19:
So legally I should be in the clear, I suppose it all comes down if I can actually back up that street as I sure as hell am not driving up it!

You’ll be ok. Could be worse. Nice bit of London that is, and there will be plenty fanny out if it’s sunny!

Had to do a delivery to a new bank in the City of London, had to back up a very tight street with the help of a copper and ended up blocking the street completely especially a large impressive building at the top, said to the copper I would be at least two hours tipping a 20 ton load of wood paneling from Switzerland, all handball, and no one would be able to get in or out of the building at the top, I thought the copper was going to have an ■■■■■■, he said to me what ever you do don’t move no matter who they say they are, as the big house at the top is the Nigerian Embassy and they owe London millions in unpaid parking fines, I think I made his day

Ossie

F-reds:
Firstly you can stop on those school markings all day. Except for 0815-0945 and 1500-1630.

Not all day then is it! Wouldnt surprise me if traffic wardens hung around at these times especially.
As for the OP,if your blocking the entire road for an hour then id say thats a tad unreasonable. If that streets anything like the street I live in (similar lay out with parked cars on both sides making it single file) then it’ll be busy with traffic pretty much non stop and having it blocked for an hour is a non starter. I think a ticket is the least of your problems if some nutter in a car (probably a BMW,Audi or ford focus) decides he’s had enough

I wouldn’t block a road for an hour for a delivery. As much as London Nimbys are irritating, an hour is far too long to block a road without permission. I feel tetchy even 10 mins as you are open to getting tickets. I’d suggest to your company the receiver should at least attempt to have a word with the neighbours and clear a spot that allows you to park so cars can pass. You’re only putting yourself over the line doing your job otherwise. Not really on. It’s really between the person taking the goods and the company delivering.

James the cat:
I wouldn’t block a road for an hour for a delivery. As much as London Nimbys are irritating, an hour is far too long to block a road without permission. I feel tetchy even 10 mins as you are open to getting tickets. I’d suggest to your company the receiver should at least attempt to have a word with the neighbours and clear a spot that allows you to park so cars can pass. You’re only putting yourself over the line doing your job otherwise. Not really on. It’s really between the person taking the goods and the company delivering.

We’re only middle men and to be frank we shouldn’t even be taking this stuff to the actual house. On the delivery notes it actually asks for a “small lorry” yet they send us in 26 tonners in. I say an hour because thats how long it took me on the last one I did but that 6 tons worth all handball where this one is only 1 pallet, about half a ton. In an ideal world, i’ll drive past, decide if I can actually get up there, if not I’ll phone the office and then they can argue with the client about where its going to go. At the end of the day, its my ship and I tell it where to go!

Radar19:

James the cat:

We’re only middle men and to be frank we shouldn’t even be taking this stuff to the actual house. On the delivery notes it actually asks for a “small lorry” yet they send us in 26 tonners in. I say an hour because thats how long it took me on the last one I did but that 6 tons worth all handball where this one is only 1 pallet, about half a ton. In an ideal world, i’ll drive past, decide if I can actually get up there, if not I’ll phone the office and then they can argue with the client about where its going to go. At the end of the day, its my ship and I tell it where to go!

Keep yourself right that way. You’re not paid to stress or get tickets.

20 Mins is loading /unloading on lines. It’s an offence to block or allow the blocking of the highway unless instructed.
With jobs like this it’s upto the receiver to ensure there is a safe area for you to off load.
They only need to ask local plod for some cones for a day to allow safe and unobstructed parking

The-Snowman:
Not all day then is it! Wouldnt surprise me if traffic wardens hung around at these times especially.

That’s why I put except in there. Traffic warden won’t waste his time during the school holidays. Some of you lot are wound far too tightly…

:unamused:

F-reds:

Radar19:

You’ll be ok. Could be worse. Nice bit of London that is, and there will be plenty fanny out if it’s sunny!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: