Blindside

I’m currently sat at Telford services, and all bar 1 of the spaces opposite me have gone, yet this side is virtually empty. Why? Because this side is blindside reverse! I would rather blindside into a row of empty parking bays, than take several shunts to slot it between 2 already parked trucks. I just don’t get the fear/dislike of blindsiding it, especially when there is bugger all in the way.

Fear of the unknown and being watched,but never be any good if people don’t try some of the shops we do have to blind side it in usually off a main road so don’t have a choice lol Lancaster being one but that’s what the job is sometimes.

Part of it for some drivers is the fear of some cackling idiot opposite filming the blindside reverse they are attempting with the intention of posting it online if they make a ■■■■ up of it.

The-Snowman:
Part of it for some drivers is the fear of some cackling idiot opposite filming the blindside reverse they are attempting with the intention of posting it online if they make a [zb] up of it.

Sad, but probably true :unamused:

I used to be guilty of bottling a services blindside reverse, usually ended up in a dodgy layby with traffic screaming past wishing I had gone for it.
Nowdays if theres 2 spaces I can usually blindside in no probs then a little shunt to correct, if im really lucky I have got in a good starting position first and can bring her in sweet as a nut with a little wiggle at the end for any minor corrections.

Well 8 out of 10 times anyway, the other 2 times I make a right lash up of it and stand by the truck crying and pleading for forgiveness from my fellow pro’s in anticipation of the ■■■■ being ripped out of me.

As long as you don’t kill anything or hit anything, what does it matter 2,3 or more shunts to get parked. The more you do it the slicker and quicker you get whilst being safe and professional. Everyone has to learn and gain experience and there’s only one way to achieve that.

I always jump out of my truck and offer to watch a driver back. Apart from one driver they all smiled and were relieved that another driver offered to watch them back. More drivers should do it and we should look out for each other I think :wink:

alder:
I always jump out of my truck and offer to watch a driver back. Apart from one driver they all smiled and were relieved that another driver offered to watch them back. More drivers should do it and we should look out for each other I think :wink:

Someone should tell Alder that his account has been hijacked! :wink:

alder:

Fair play to you for doing that it is quite noticeable that English drivers are velcroed into the seat when there is a need to get out to watch someone back, most places it will an EE who helps you out

I haven’t been doing the job that long and I pulled into the services last weekend and it was pretty empty, shad the reverse on my good side and managed to massively screw it up and ended up doing about 8 shunts!!! :blush: whenever I think somebody is watching I put pressure on myself, when I know there is nobody watching I somehow manage to get it straight in with maybe 1 shunt just to tidy it up!!

I know that 95% of the time, people that are there are probably not even looking at what I am doing but I still get this sense that loads of eyes are on me and screw it up!!

Would never attempt a blindside unless left with absolutely no choice!! Always go out of my way to keep it on the good side!!!

mazzer:
most places it will an EE who helps you out

^^^100% correct.

Never understood some of the parking in services…why make things difficult when all the driver wants to do is park up & switch off, not get worked up cuz he’s struggling to find/get in a spot, worried if he’s gonna get blocked in overnight! Membury W/B springs to mind, the bit on the left where it looks like you have to drive into the space and possibly struggle like ■■■■ to get out in the morning!

For those, like myself, who are a little nervous of a blindside reverse, pulling into services with a row of empty bays is a dream! Perfect opportunity to get a free practice in. Like others have said, the more you do it the easier it becomes ( or it least it appears that way).

I’m more comfortable reversing now than I was for a good 6 months, maybe more after passing my test, although I’m still wary of tight bays with trucks either side. Always best to ask someone to watch you in, or keep getting out to look however many times you need to. Better to look a ■■■ trying to reverse in somewhere than to look a ■■■ taking someone’s front end off :grimacing:

That said, I was at an RDC the othe week, with no other trucks on the bays, about 3 miles between each bay, and I stuffed it right up :blush: luckily there was no one around to watch me have an epic fail :smiling_imp:

Maybe they have done the smiths training course :grimacing:

Quite a lot of unavoidable blind reversing in my job few hum dingers infact, but we have back windows so really no a big issue.

I can’t understand why truck manufacturers don’t go back to putting a rear window in the cab?

No real need to blindside in Telford services,plenty of room to spin in round and good side it in obviously an easier option than blindsiding inbetween trucks.

That said, I was at an RDC the othe week, with no other trucks on the bays, about 3 miles between each bay, and I stuffed it right up :blush: luckily there was no one around to watch me have an epic fail :smiling_imp:
[/quote]
LOL aye find that the tighter the bay the easier it is, given acres of space guaranteed to balls it up even to the point of putting it on the wrong bay!!! cue red face when the loader opened the correct door next to where I was

Went into Tibshelf once at 3.40am and of course the lorry park was choca blocka but the coach one was totally empty so parked in there for a 30 minute kip and a coffee. This jumped up security guard came marching over and start shouting at me “Can you not read?” “LOOK!” he barked pointing at the coaches only sign. I just said “I so solly no spekky more englais. Plis where pooh pooh, where pooh pooh” and then he was suddenly my best friend and pointed to the toilets in broken English tried to explain where to go. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

merc0447:
Maybe they have done the smiths training course :grimacing:

Quite a lot of unavoidable blind reversing in my job few hum dingers infact, but we have back windows so really no a big issue.

See that’s strange ,I had those ex tesco axors with the windows and I couldn’t blind side reverse using them forbthe life of me ,yet I have no problem just using mirrors on truck with no windows ,I guess it’s what your used to .

cracker-bar:
I’m currently sat at Telford services, and all bar 1 of the spaces opposite me have gone, yet this side is virtually empty. Why? Because this side is blindside reverse! I would rather blindside into a row of empty parking bays, than take several shunts to slot it between 2 already parked trucks. I just don’t get the fear/dislike of blindsiding it, especially when there is bugger all in the way.

If the bays aren’t on a daft angle just screw it round so you’re pointing the wrong way then you don’t have to blindside in.