Blimey, a first for me!

shane, lincs:
From our yard in Wickenby to my house in Brant Rd took me 2 and half hours, Lincoln was a nightmare,
did not go in this morning,will have a go tomorrw .

Your lot still after drivers?

Anyway, judging by what I heard on the weather tonight, I think I might have to do some crawling round changing brake pipes tomorow and get it mot’d, insured and hopefuly taxed all in one day, sounds like were due another 2", then a spell of real cold then some more at the weekend!! That’s a foot and a half of snow by next week!!

Hi all.i’m enjoying reading this post,it’s fun.i have just followed my bosses snow plough home[90kms]at about 70kms per hour.we have had snow from the start of october and it will last until about the end of april,so far only about 2ft in total.we did,however,have about a foot in a day last week.the temp is bouncing between min6 and min32c so thats normal.
what amuses me is the way that the uk comes to a grinding halt everytime there is snow,be it 1in or 1ft.everyone moans that there are no gritters or ploughs.for god’s sake it’s not the first winter with snow.why don’t the councils do the same as here in lappland and use the local hauliers with tippers.it’s very easy to fit a plough on any truck.we are only a small company with about 15 trucks but 5 have fittings for ploughs and gritters.the fittings weigh almost nothing and the ploughs and gritters can be taken off in about 5mins.the ploughing and gritting is paid for by the coucil and the min of transport.the costs are significantly less than would be the cost of lost work and business.best.mike

It still wouldn’t help as all the vehicles in the UK have summer tyres on so slip on even the smallest amount of snow.
No use blaming the council if the cars aren’t equipped to cope anyway

jimti:
It still wouldn’t help as all the vehicles in the UK have summer tyres on so slip on even the smallest amount of snow.
No use blaming the council if the cars aren’t equipped to cope anyway

Not ALL of them. I got all season on mine! And I drive past them like a ■■■■ :slight_smile:

Well I don’t know what all the fuss is about, I’m currently enjoying 25c in sunny California :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

my works been cancelled the last two nights so getting there hasn’t been an issue which is just as well as the a57 is still completely blocked due to the road collapsing near lindrick dale and the daft amount of snow we’ve had, thing is theres upwards of fifty wagons stuck between the roundabout at junction 31 m1 and the traffic lights at anston where i live, they’ve been there since tuesday afternoon, ok we’ve never had snow like this here before and the gritters are probably working at max BUT theres been no attempt whatsover to clear this road and get these drivers moving, more snow tonight so it looks like another day just sat there, the locals have been supplying hot food and drinks for all the drivers but surely the authorities must at some point consider they’ve got a duty to help these drivers and get this road open again?

Theres about 6" in Newark, the main roads are all clear at the moment but side roads are just ice now. I’ve got proper M+S Michelin tyres on my car and its doing ok, but you can only get as far as the numpty in the bmw on summer slicks. Parents in Lincoln tell me theres around 1ft and my Dad had to bring the works van home as he couldn’t get back to the base in the village, tried digging snow for nearly 2hours and gave up.

Been considering buying a cheap 4x4 next year and Sorning the normal car :stuck_out_tongue: If we are in the cycle for proper winters again then this could just be the start :wink: back to the 60’s winter of 20ft of white !

hutpik:
the ploughing and gritting is paid for by the coucil and the min of transport.

And this answers your question …

ive worked one day this week, get paid for the whole week though :smiley:

first shift cancelled, went in next day, yesterday forth bridge was shut as was the motorway by me.
tonight well ill wait and see

Hi all.To 49er.forgive me for appearing rude but i fail to see how '‘this answers my question’'as you put it.i was always under the assumption that in a developed country the individual or corporation paid taxes such as income,road,and council tax to the government to be used for the benefit of the community and the individual to maintain and improve the economic and social welfare of the individual and community and provide a good quality of life of same.
ifail to see what having to sit at home because the business and social structure has come to a grinding halt because of administrative incompetence or having to eat bread and jam because the supermarket shelves are empty adds to a quality of life. :question:
you pay taxes for a valid reason.to enjoy living where you do.
let them be used for that. take care mike :

hutpik:
Hi all.To 49er.forgive me for appearing rude but i fail to see how '‘this answers my question’'as you put it.i was always under the assumption that in a developed country the individual or corporation paid taxes such as income,road,and council tax to the government to be used for the benefit of the community and the individual to maintain and improve the economic and social welfare of the individual and community and provide a good quality of life of same.
ifail to see what having to sit at home because the business and social structure has come to a grinding halt because of administrative incompetence or having to eat bread and jam because the supermarket shelves are empty adds to a quality of life. :question:
you pay taxes for a valid reason.to enjoy living where you do.
let them be used for that. take care mike :

Ouch! The ■■■■ state our country’s in summed up in few enough words to fit on a ■■■ packet! Sorry hutpik; that’s how it is over here nowadays, if we were a third world country there’d be talk of corruption but somehow it’s acceptable for our “rulers” to squander our money to pay for floating houses for the ducks to live in on the moat around their mansion!

■■■■ it, much work in your part of the world?

G8YMW:
We had a tata last night (HDNL Lincoln) Up to 8pm only a dozen vans back. As Imp was saying Lincoln a carpark. 4 hours to get down Canwick Hill and into our yard.
No vans went out today

no vans were allowed out of Hull depot wednesday and 5 test runs went out yesterday … 99% of the 115 parcels came back we’re going to try and do local today

shane, lincs:
From our yard in Wickenby to my house in Brant Rd took me 2 and half hours, Lincoln was a nightmare,
did not go in this morning,will have a go tomorrw .

You know why?

Well get this the council gritters and ploughs and some local tippers were in and around the castle area trying to save the councils blushes to get the xmas market saved. So if you were in Lincoln during the worst of it on Tues then the castle was the place to be you could move anywhere no bother. Trouble was that ment everywhere else got snowed under and town ground to a halt. Thats Lincoln for you though a moped broken down on any street in Lincoln will eventually cause enough problems to block town up!

I dunno whether to laugh about that or shake my head in disbelief! Just driven back from Grantham via bracebridge Heath, nice clear roads full of muppets scared to go over 15mph because their car says there might be black ice :open_mouth: what’s the world coming to!?

Had an argument with an owl last night, pretty sure it lost but cost brakes a plastic sun visor thingy on a scania. And woke me up! Bloody thing, you’d swear I’d hit a goose at 56 the bang it made.

Hi darkseeker.i wasn’t trying to be derogatory about england itself being,myself english.but having lived in such places as holland and canada and now living up here in lappland it amazes me that it takes so little to bring the country to a grinding halt.in europe,scandinavia and canada they are,if not always able to keep on top,at least prepared,i mean we get winter EVERY year,even if we dont want it.in the big picture it costs laughably little for winter preparation in relation to the whole budget for councils in the uk.here it costs more because the winters are so long.
there is quite enough work up here as it is one of the few areas where the economy is buoyant due to the main industry of mining.
about 30 percent of the drivers of heavy machines and trucks are women due to a shortage of men[and also because it pays ok]
dont even think about moving up here if you like a busy social life and dont like cold.we have snow from october until about and of april with temps as low as min 40c. :grimacing: take care.mike
p.s. one of my old mates comes from coningsby

We sent vans out on Thursday Got a fair load out but some brought a shedload back. It helped having no trunkers on Wednesday night so most of the vans got out in very good time and got onto the rounds before the snow came again. Thursday night there should have been only an Argos trailer in so, fingers crossed, should get another load out. We’ll see when I get in for my shift.

Hutpik,
I hope I can explain this OK.
Britain’s problem is where we are. Warm Atlantic air meets Scandinavian/ Siberian air about where we are so we get plenty of snow/rain. Further East you get a snowfall then the temperatures go way down so no more snowfall . Its the actual snowfall thats the problem not the cold.
I know thats an over simplification

HI g8ymw.i understand what your saying being english myself.i have been driving trucks for over 35 years now in such diverse places as uk,afghanistan,U.S.S.R.,canada,and now in lappland.
usually about march i have between 1.5 to 2 meters of snow round my house so we also get a ‘‘bit’’ of snow.the fact still remains that the uk is woefully prepared for winters.if,as you say,the problem is that you get heavy snowfall then the councils have NO excuses whatsoever as winters come EVERY year.i’m not having a dig but have also lived and worked in the uk with a truck so i know the problems.take care.mike

G8YMW:
We sent vans out on Thursday Got a fair load out but some brought a shedload back. It helped having no trunkers on Wednesday night so most of the vans got out in very good time and got onto the rounds before the snow came again. Thursday night there should have been only an Argos trailer in so, fingers crossed, should get another load out. We’ll see when I get in for my shift.

Today we sent 5 vans out and they brought most of it back, … we haven’t had any trailers in since Tuesday but we’re hoping to clear the depot (or most of it) this weekend, vans being double manned.

G8YMW, I would have a guess an say you are probably pm shift? (do you still have mr pamplin there? (can never remember his first name)

No offence taken hutpik, what I was trying to say is it’s sad but true. To a certain extent I think it’s down to the unpredictability of it all, some winters are more like a long autumn and we’ve not had one like this for 20yrs apparently. I lived in Wales for 6 years but at 28 (in a few days) I can’t remember ever seeing snow like this. You’re right though; there’s no excuse for it, we should have been better prepared.

One thing I’ve not seen this year is residents helping to clear the road, used to see it quite regular especially those who live on or near a hill out with shovels and making use of the grit bins. Just another “■■■■ you jack” or “it’s not my job”

darkseeker:
No offence taken hutpik, what I was trying to say is it’s sad but true. To a certain extent I think it’s down to the unpredictability of it all, some winters are more like a long autumn and we’ve not had one like this for 20yrs apparently. I lived in Wales for 6 years but at 28 (in a few days) I can’t remember ever seeing snow like this. You’re right though; there’s no excuse for it, we should have been better prepared.

One thing I’ve not seen this year is residents helping to clear the road, used to see it quite regular especially those who live on or near a hill out with shovels and making use of the grit bins. Just another “[zb] you jack” or “it’s not my job”

Ive been off since tues morning and im now on first name terms with 6 different neigbours whom Ive never said more than morning to in the passed. To be honest it was quite nice most of the street out with a shovel helping each other out. :wink:
Oh and the lass 4 doors down mmmmm Now ive had a closer look I would LOL :smiley: