Blimey, a first for me!

Well, for the first time ever since I left school (11yrs) I’ve had to tell work I can’t make it because of the weather! We’ve got roughly a foot of it here and it’s still falling! My landrover which is all done up for off-roading might manage these conditions but sadly isn’t taxed or mot’d so wouldn’t be insured and is staying put unless it’s an emergency. Can see the next few days being very boring!

What’ve you guys got?

I’m lucky, we had just a small dusting yesterday then nothing :smiley: (so far)
Yard is just of the M25 J25 and it was snowing when i got back at about midnight but was not settling, my run takes me up the M1 then M6 to J9 every night so all in all i am ok at the moment

Andy

for some reason we’ve missed all the snow in the northwest , other than a little sprinkling on the wirrel last night the roads have been pretty clear .
i’m hoping tonight its the same … :open_mouth:

darkseeker:
Well, for the first time ever since I left school (11yrs) I’ve had to tell work I can’t make it because of the weather! We’ve got roughly a foot of it here and it’s still falling! My landrover which is all done up for off-roading might manage these conditions but sadly isn’t taxed or mot’d so wouldn’t be insured and is staying put unless it’s an emergency. Can see the next few days being very boring!

What’ve you guys got?

Stay put mate, Lincoln was in a right mess last night all the main hills got blocked the whole town came to a grinding halt. We have cars abandoned on our estate up here in Bracebridge Heath. People just parked em and walked into town. Lindum Hill got two trucks stuck on it one right at the bend at the top. Not an idea place to loose traction!

darkseeker:

What’ve you guys got?

Not looking good for me either imm just off the a2 just dusted the car off tried getting out had to abandon the car down the road so looks like imm stuck ! worse thing i have only just started my new job so imm not best pleased

darkseeker:

What’ve you guys got?

I got 2 days off from the place at Worksop that you go to DS as part of the rota… they just phone me

“Can you come in today”
erm, no - 16 inches of snow in this part of Lincolnshire
“can you come in tomorrow”
Unless I am a mate of Santa, that ain’t going to happen either. Sorry no. :unamused:

Come on. do they expect us to dig ourselves out from the sticks to the main drag to get to work. I feel safer at home than sliding about trying to risk it to a shop only to get myself stuck somewhere.

North Derbyshire is stuffed with the ■■■■ bloody white stuff, can feel a lie in coming on tommorrow.

leo.saphira:
I got 2 days off from the place at Worksop that you go to DS as part of the rota… they just phone me

“Can you come in today”
erm, no - 16 inches of snow in this part of Lincolnshire
“can you come in tomorrow”
Unless I am a mate of Santa, that ain’t going to happen either. Sorry no. :unamused:

Come on. do they expect us to dig ourselves out from the sticks to the main drag to get to work. I feel safer at home than sliding about trying to risk it to a shop only to get myself stuck somewhere.

I cant get out of the street either, Ive spent 3hrs digging the car out, only for it to dump another 3-4inches. My phone has been ringing practically non stop with agencies asking if I can do this & that asap. Even my regular gig Ive had to let down, today & tommorrow which is something I dont do …never.

I could literally name my own rate p/hr (up to double time) and could probably get it … if I could get out off the street

I phoned in also and through in the towel,thats the attendance bonus gone then :unamused: (but at least the insurance excess is intact, along with a decent renewal for next year in the long run hopefully ) some real heroes out there spinning the wheels up to eleventy mph in first gear and zig zagging about in a vain hope for traction with summer tyres on :unamused: ,8-10 inches around here,was delivering around matlock (which was abandoned after the main road was blocked by jacknifed trucks) and sheffield last night in a sprinter with winter tyres fitted,it did very well but the roads were gridlocked every route i took, 6-7 artics jacknifed northbound m1 up barnsley bank, had to slalom around those,i don’t scare easy but last night was something else :open_mouth: .

:neutral_face: You know… thinkning about it now after digging for 4 hours today to clear the access road to the cul de sac where the 4x4’s have been compressing the snow down - I’ve been wondering whether to call work and say - yeah I come in, but its going to cost you an arm and a leg…

x4 or x5 pay? could I go on :smiling_imp: how far do one thinks I can take it :wink:

This is a wind up though - personally I ain’t interested in the ££ as like the poster above… my insurance will be intact and my soul/body won’t be damaged either. Right, walk down to the local shop for some ■■■ bits :wink:

Well, I dug my little corsa out cos I was desperate to get out of the house and the roads aren’t that bad really but I’ve done my fair share of digging for today!

Just been told the Tuesday I was booked to do was last night :blush: I thought it was next week! Oops. Think I’d best pull out all the stops to make it to work tomorow night. Seems to have stopped for now fortunately.

…This text just in “could i swap my day off tomorrow and work overtime instead” my reply was “no problem,please clear some space for the chinook.” :laughing: funnily enough they didn’t bother replying,seriously what planet do these people live on .

We had a tata last night (HDNL Lincoln) Up to 8pm only a dozen vans back. As Imp was saying Lincoln a carpark. 4 hours to get down Canwick Hill and into our yard.
No vans went out today

darkseeker:

What’ve you guys got?

Well, my Sirion drives just well. Maybe it’s because I have all season tires fitted onto it? And I don’t mean “the scottish all year tires” which are known to the wider world as a summer ones, but a proper one with M+S mark.

The only thing which spoils the fun are other drivers :stuck_out_tongue:

roadrunner:
…This text just in “could i swap my day off tomorrow and work overtime instead” my reply was “no problem,please clear some space for the chinook.” :laughing: funnily enough they didn’t bother replying,seriously what planet do these people live on .

love it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Been sitting in the yard at Purfleet all day, can’t get home as the surrounding roads are either closed or blocked with abandoned vehicles, dartford crossing has been solid with traffic from what I can see :frowning:

If there’s no work on tomorrow I’ll try and make a break for it :confused:

Grayham:
Been sitting in the yard at Purfleet all day, can’t get home as the surrounding roads are either closed or blocked with abandoned vehicles, dartford crossing has been solid with traffic from what I can see :frowning:

This is something really winds me up.

Last winter I was driving on the snow and almost crashed into the car some idiot abandoned on the bend!

If you can’t drive, at least push it out of the road! Some people might be better drivers, why to put them into risk?

orys:

darkseeker:

What’ve you guys got?

Well, my Sirion drives just well. Maybe it’s because I have all season tires fitted onto it? And I don’t mean “the scottish all year tires” which are known to the wider world as a summer ones, but a proper one with M+S mark.

My disco’s tyres have 20mm tread on em so I think they’ll do! But it’s nowhere near legal and won’t be used unless someone desperately needs help

darkseeker:

orys:

darkseeker:

What’ve you guys got?

My disco’s tyres have 20mm tread on em so I think they’ll do! But it’s nowhere near legal and won’t be used unless someone desperately needs help

Be extremely careful about using it unless it’s a real emergency that will stand up in court. There is a legal argument for using it in an emergency but it will almost certainly mean hiring an expensive (and possibly useless!) lawyer to mount a defence unless you’re an amateur Perry Mason! (Google it!) Mind how you go… :wink:

From our yard in Wickenby to my house in Brant Rd took me 2 and half hours, Lincoln was a nightmare,
did not go in this morning,will have a go tomorrw .