Black direction signs for lorries

So the black signs you see that tells lorries to go a particular way to somewhere, are they just advisory, ie the local authority has decided they’d prefer lorries to go a particular way, or are do they need to be obeyed like other restrictions?

I ask because although I did nothing wrong today, I went through a town which was a bit narrow and when I came out the other side I saw a 7.5t limit going back into it the other way. DEFINTELY hand on heart no weight limit that I missed coming the way I did. So it’s one of these daft one way weight limits, then further down the road I turned onto was a black sign directing lorries a different way round, again no sign I missed the way I came so must have been a one way thing.

There’s been other occasions where the black sign says to go one way but there is no actual restriction on other routes. So I’m guessing it’s just the local council would prefer you to go that way, but it’s not something you HAVE to do like a weight or width limit?

Advisory only. Compulsory instructions are indicated by circular signs with a red border.

Road signs generally work like this:

Square = information
Triangle = warning
Circle = mandatory

So the black HGV signs, being square, are just for information. If you choose to ignore them then you might find yourself on a trickier route, or you might just annoy some folks who persuaded the council to advise HGVs to go someplace else.

If you see a height restriction in a triangle then you could choose to ignore it (at your peril), but if it is in a circular sign you face the wrath of the law if you don’t obey.

It’s not unusual on narrow roads to have a 7.5 limit in one direction only.

Don’t know about UK but in France you may see an ‘advisory’ route sign first, if you go past it there may be a prohibition further on.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The French also have alternative route sign for the summer tourists to avoid the major pinch points and congestion areas.
The route normaly is scenic , following a river or valley gorge, it is OK if you are not in a hurry .

Ye advisory only… this sign has got to be the best one out there

2017-03-15-07-38-05--500279473.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rowley010:
I ask because although I did nothing wrong today, I went through a town which was a bit narrow and when I came out the other side I saw a 7.5t limit going back into it the other way. DEFINTELY hand on heart no weight limit that I missed coming the way I did. So it’s one of these daft one way weight limits, then further down the road I turned onto was a black sign directing lorries a different way round, again no sign I missed the way I came so must have been a one way thing.

You probably went…

The village of Flockton in West Yorkshire which does in fact have a limit coming eastbound but not westbound.

yourhavingalarf:

Rowley010:

You probably went…

The village of Flockton in West Yorkshire which does in fact have a limit coming eastbound but not westbound.

Similarly in Holmes Chapel,there’s a weight limit southbound,but not northbound,where you can legally “persuade” oncoming traffic to drive on the pavement :unamused: :wink:

Berty:

and this one has to be the epitome of everything the HIGHWAYS AGENCY (OR WHATEVER THEY CALL THEMSELVES THIS WEEK) from john o groats to lands end and all points in between stand for as being a complete and utter incomptent waste of space.

useless-signs-nothing-useful.jpg

dieseldog999:

Berty:

and this one has to be the epitome of everything the HIGHWAYS AGENCY (OR WHATEVER THEY CALL THEMSELVES THIS WEEK) from john o groats to lands end and all points in between stand for as being a complete and utter incomptent waste of space.

Lol that’s brilliant!

Google> Forth Road Bridge Sign> Images. :smiley:

Thetfords also got a bi ■■■■■■ weight limit set up as your have to swing different ways depending on which direction your entering it.

I assume it’s theses signs you’re talking about, as has been said they’re advisory/information signs but I always found them worth taking notice of.

Rowley010:
So the black signs you see that tells lorries to go a particular way to somewhere, are they just advisory, ie the local authority has decided they’d prefer lorries to go a particular way, or are do they need to be obeyed like other restrictions?

There’s been other occasions where the black sign says to go one way but there is no actual restriction on other routes. So I’m guessing it’s just the local council would prefer you to go that way, but it’s not something you HAVE to do like a weight or width limit?

The dangers here are, if something was to go seriously pear shaped whilst ignoring an advisory sign your opponents would use it against you, so even if it was not illegal you may loose some sympathy from a jury.

Berty:

dieseldog999:

Berty:

Lol that’s brilliant!

Just to help Dieseldick999 out Highways “whatever they are called this week” have only covered England for over 20 years. I’e now Highways England for the hard of thinking.
John o’groats is surprisingly in a different country and ran by Transport Scotland ,
The Woolybacks roads are ‘managed’ by the Welsh office, hopefully a bit of clarity can help you ‘complain’ about/to the right people or country :slight_smile:

Now that’d cleared up I’m assuming the blue signs with a white truck and a red line through it are only advisory as well ? Did anything change in the new TSRGD regs 2016 ?

speedyguy:

Berty:

dieseldog999:

Berty:

Lol that’s brilliant!

Just to help Dieseldick999 out Highways “whatever they are called this week” have only covered England for over 20 years. I’e now Highways England for the hard of thinking.
John o’groats is surprisingly in a different country and ran by Transport Scotland ,
The Woolybacks roads are ‘managed’ by the Welsh office, hopefully a bit of clarity can help you ‘complain’ about/to the right people or country :slight_smile:

Now that’d cleared up I’m assuming the blue signs with a white truck and a red line through it are only advisory as well ? Did anything change in the new TSRGD regs 2016 ?

A quick scroll through my 2008 manual shows nothing - I always assumed they were advisory - especially as down this way I’ve only seen them in use in North Devon/Somerset area. They’re in a square box and there’s no weight shown - so they could be referring to a 3.5t goods vehicle or a 44t artic. Last time I checked, the 2016 TSRGD manuals hadn’t been published, just the regulations - which I can’t be arsed to bother reading.

ORC:

Square = information
Triangle = warning
Circle = mandatory

So the black HGV signs, being square, are just for information. If you choose to ignore them then you might find yourself on a trickier route, or you might just annoy some folks who persuaded the council to advise HGVs to go someplace else.

If you see a height restriction in a triangle then you could choose to ignore it (at your peril), but if it is in a circular sign you face the wrath of the law if you don’t obey.

What about blue rectangle signs that say unsuitable for HGVs , they are not in circles so must be ok to drive down that road then

These signs are ok as long as they’re consistent. It’s no good if you follow them then come to a roundabout and they’ve disappeared.

villa:

ORC:

Square = information
Triangle = warning
Circle = mandatory

What about blue rectangle signs that say unsuitable for HGVs , they are not in circles so must be ok to drive down that road then

It means “You PROBABLY shouldn’t drive down here, but there’s not enough traffic flow demand to warrant us going and getting a traffic order in place”. They’re usually installed as a quick and easy measure to shut up NIMBY’s who don’t like non-locals driving past their house. So, it could either be a tricky route which you may or may not be able to navigate, or an 8 metre wide B road.