Black direction signs for lorries

The main reason I ask was because I was in Sheffield once, just tipped and planned a route back out to the M1. Got to a junction and there was the black sign directing me that way which was different to my planned route. I followed it then later came to a roundabout where if id continued to follow the black sign I’d have gone into a 14’ something bridge with a 15’10 trailer, so then had to divert back to the route I had planned. Which there was nothing at all wrong with for lorries.

Probably been hit by some chav in a Corsa, and the sign was telling you to go the wrong way, then.

tachograph:
I assume it’s theses signs you’re talking about, as has been said they’re advisory/information signs but I always found them worth taking notice of.

Those signs are advisory, but the alternative route is usually closed.

When they point to towns rather than specific locations, they usually are just advisory. For example, the signs around Oxford pointing truck drivers going to Reading to go via Newbury aren’t because of weight or height limits but of narrowness and potential congestion just north of the bridge over the Thames at Caversham (there actually is a low bridge on the Reading ring road, so if you’re going to the industrial area just south of the bridge, that’s actually the best route). You can also safely ignore the similar signs directing trucks from Oxford to Evesham via the A40 instead of the A44.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk