Bits and pieces

I am looking for an anti siphon device for an 06 plate MAN TGA and was wondering if anyone could recommend one and also where’s best to buy it from. Also looking at building up an assortment of bulbs and fuses to carry with me for repairs and just wondered best places to get these from also. I know of a few places but just wanted your input on good and bad experiences with dealers really. Cheers.

if your TGA is like mine all the fuses are on a trip, you dont replace them you just reset them and in 4 yrs of MAN ownership i think i must have replaced no more 5 or 6 bulbs so i wouldnt go mad, box of sidelight bulbs, a box of brake/indicator bulbs and a couple of headlight bulbs should see you alright

And don’t forget those 100 watt Xenon bulbs for your eye burning spot lights. :laughing:

Ken.

chaversdad:
if your TGA is like mine all the fuses are on a trip, you dont replace them you just reset them and in 4 yrs of MAN ownership i think i must have replaced no more 5 or 6 bulbs so i wouldnt go mad, box of sidelight bulbs, a box of brake/indicator bulbs and a couple of headlight bulbs should see you alright

Sounds good to me mate, the cheaper the better to get me started!! Been looking at HGV Direct, you had any dealings with them?

xfmatt:
Sounds good to me mate, the cheaper the better to get me started!!

I was in Poundland yesterday and they had sets of 30 blade fuses for £1, with a fuse puller.

xfmatt:
Sounds good to me mate, the cheaper the better to get me started!! Been looking at HGV Direct, you had any dealings with them?

I don’t know what their mail order is like but if you phone them up asking about anything don’t expect them to call back. I wanted a new 5th wheel for my previous wagon and as they’re a Jost dealer I rang them to get a price. Five times in the end. In spite of them promising each time somebody would get back to me to this day they haven’t, so they’re never going to get a penny of my money.

Paul

i dont bother tbh, the fitter who does my truck usually gives me a few bits and pieces when i need them

repton:

xfmatt:

I don’t know what their mail order is like but if you phone them up asking about anything don’t expect them to call back. I wanted a new 5th wheel for my previous wagon and as they’re a Jost dealer I rang them to get a price. Five times in the end. In spite of them promising each time somebody would get back to me to this day they haven’t, so they’re never going to get a penny of my money.

Paul

which depot was that Paul?

i deal with HGV Direct on a regular basis, i have been told to use the Alfreton branch, but, they are pretty much as you described, so, i use the Chesterfield branch with no problems at all, they always call back if they need to get a price from a supplier, but, then again, they know that i will rip them a new one if they don’t :wink: (hence i use Chesterfield, not Alfreton)

xfmatt, what area are you from?

it will not be of any use people telling you of good suppliers if they are not anywhere near you, i can recommend various parts suppliers, but, they are mainly midlands based

i have been running DAF’s for a number of years, but, 14 months ago, bought an 06 plate TGA XLX, i have found it very reliable, the only time it went through fuses was due to a bare wire in the door hinge area and it kept shorting it out

shuttlespanker:
xfmatt, what area are you from?

Driffield, East Yorkshire. Just getting started up on my own and still a bit raw. Obviously i’ve relied on previous employers to source parts etc but now i’ll have to do it on my own!

Hi xfmatt,
have a look in your local area for a company called Fleet Factors, their head office is in the north east i think, they have quite a few outlets.
I use one in Trafford Park Manchester, and are pretty good with prices and availability.

Some of these guys should have much of what you want that isn’t truck specific:

yell.com/s/motor+factors-dri … rside.html

At better prices than you will find elsewhere.

Do people still use blade fuses? Got little plastic drawers full of them in my workshop. No demand now.

The best anti syphon device is a bar of soap, spread it around the filler cap and neck of the diesel tank, your average ■■■■■ will run a mile at the sight and smell of it :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

this may sound obvious but here goes, have you checked the tank? i bought an ex maritime then an ex DHL and they both had anti syphon already fittedin the neck

chaversdad:
this may sound obvious but here goes, have you checked the tank? i bought an ex maritime then an ex DHL and they both had anti syphon already fittedin the neck

No I haven’t as I haven’t actually got the wagon yet due to a number of ■■■■ ups by the company fitting tipping hydraulics. To be fair it may have an anti siphon device but just wondered what was the best if it doesn’t!

i would not bother with anti syphon if they want the fuel they will get it seen tanks drilled and holes punched in them then there is cost of tank or repairs to it

i have got anti syphon devices on my trucks, on one of them, the thieving scum bags have smashed the top off the neck of the device and damaging the neck of the tank, realised that they couldn’t get the diesel still, so then smashed the bottom out of the device, leaving chunks of metal in there

after all that damage, they only took about 50 litres from a full tank, and they even put the cap back over the damaged filler neck :open_mouth:

tissltd.com/impregnable.html

It’s quite easy to still nick the diesel with a scaffold pole and a bit of waggling if you can make a bit of noise so this device is only really useful to stop your employed drivers siphoning out of the tank on a regular basis (doesn’t stop them taking it straight out of the fuel pump in to a jerry can mind but more likely to get seen doing this and reported at a petrol staiton).

If you are night outing in a layby, they should have to make enough noise to wake you to get to your diesel if it’s through the syphon they decide to go. More of a deterent really if they see a siphon on you and none on the next truck…

Mate of mine was on holiday and the driver on his truck filled a jerry can up at the garage and had it in the passenger footwell but didnt secure the lid properly. He must of hit the brakes suddenly and the fuel went everywhere the cab stunk of diesel for weeks.

Silver_Surfer:
If you are night outing in a layby, they should have to make enough noise to wake you to get to your diesel if it’s through the syphon they decide to go. More of a deterent really if they see a siphon on you and none on the next truck…

Yeah i’m looking at it as more of a deterrent than anything. I realise that if people want something so badly they will go to any lengths but to drill tanks, use scaffold bars it’s gonna be a noisy job and something you probably wouldn’t get in a layby/industrial estate. Firm I used to work for all had anti siphons but when our yard got broken into they just smashed them all off and helped themselves to fuel… out of all 14 trucks in the yard!!

Anti syphon tubes was of money totally, basically all you need is a good filter strap and its off and in the hedge, best anti syphon is not to fill on a eve, and leave to cap undone saves a lot of money in the long run, park sensible “were ever poss”
I have a clever thing what does work, but as normal carnt be arsed to make it or should i say philberg… aka cpt chubbs. to make it for me :grimacing: and its a def winner would cost pence to make and would sell for a good amount of wonga!! maybe one day i may do it