Bit of help please. what are these hanging straps

Its my second day on the job & i am on a curtain sided truck. how do i operate the straps hanging from the roof on a pole??

Thank you

You shorten or lengthen them by moving the clip that is on the strap either up or down.And then hook the clip onto the rave of the bodywork.Then with the clasp open.Pull down on the piece of strap that is there to tighten it.And then lock the clasp down.Job done.

Still think there a rubbish idea…ratchet straps…are far better way to secure a load with a curtain sider…

Internal straps are allowed up to a weight of 400kgs.
Higher than that;Ratchet straps.
If you look at the top of the trailer where the internals are attached to,ask yourself,if the truck turned over,would the small nut and metal ring hold the load in.?

Wouldn’t rely on them internal straps, treat a curtain sider in the same way as a flat bed when securing you loads…curtainsiders just keep the products dry…

Swampey2418:
Still think there a rubbish idea…ratchet straps…are far better way to secure a load with a curtain sider…

That may depend on what you are carrying.

As said it depends on what load you are carrying wether it is better to use internal straps or ratchet straps.

Should it really matter what your carrying should it ?

Better safe than sorry, thats me… :grimacing:

If you have a look at some of the rails where the internal straps are attached to the roof you sometimes see that they are only pop riveted on.

That means they are only as strong as pop rivets - now that’s scary. I only use internal straps on loads that I cannot use ratchet straps on such as light cardboard boxes or pallets of glass bottles that are lightly wrapped.

Swampey2418:
Should it really matter what your carrying should it ?

Better safe than sorry, thats me… :grimacing:

Certain items may disperse or damage under the presure of rachet straps, & may be better suited to the internal straps if within the weight limit of the straps.

Certain items may disperse or damage under the presure of rachet straps, & may be better suited to the internal straps if within the weight limit of the straps.

Then wouldn’t a tarpaulin suffice… but then end of the day each load is different and its down to the driver to use any methods or means necessary to ensure its safe

Sorry Swampey but bonnie lass is on the money here - no newbie is going to worry about or be familiar with tarps - your just being a bit pendantic mate

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and it that makes me what you call pedantic, then so what, thought thats what this forum is all about, shared experiences, advice and input of new ideas…

Swampey2418:

Then wouldn’t a tarpaulin suffice… but then end of the day each load is different and its down to the driver to use any methods or means necessary to ensure its safe

Suitability of securing different types of loads with different types of straps which was suggested earlier, but Why would you want to use a tarpaulin on a curtain sider?

When I saw M4rky comments

m4rky:
If you have a look at some of the rails where the internal straps are attached to the roof you sometimes see that they are only pop riveted on.

That means they are only as strong as pop rivets - now that’s scary. I only use internal straps on loads that I cannot use ratchet straps on such as light cardboard boxes or pallets of glass bottles that are lightly wrapped.

Certainly the suggestion in the above quote is that these straps are not fit for purpose, hence asking wouldnt a tarpaulin be considered a better idea, as Ive seen some pretty decent ones that could be used to secure a lighter load, either by ropes or shorten ratchet straps…

Swampey2418:
When I saw M4rky comments

m4rky:

Certainly the suggestion in the above quote is that these straps are not fit for purpose, hence asking wouldnt a tarpaulin be considered a better idea, as Ive seen some pretty decent ones that could be used to secure a lighter load, either by ropes or shorten ratchet straps…

Internal straps and their fittings have a limited strength & weight capacity, which does not deem them unfit for matching a suitable load.
the curtains on a curtainsider should not be used for securing the load, so why would you then secure the load with a tarpaulin sheet?
Would you really turn up to load with a curtain sider & tarpaulin sheet & rope the goods ,& what if the goods were not suitable to be carried under a tarpaulin sheet ( which is heavy) & a load not suitable for ratchet strapping.

Someone told me during my training, when loading and securing a curtain sider, you should treat it just like them same as it was a flat bed…All the curtains do is keep the weather out…

End of the day, you use what ever methods or devices that doesn’t cause damage to the product your delivering and it is safe and secure…
In a world of H & S madness and considering that VOSA keep banning the safety drum, plus the fact they are now self funded I think they will be taking a lot more interest in how secure loads really are because its easy money for them…

Ok
I’m glad you say ’ doesn’t’ cause damage to your load because some loads can very easily be damaged by ratchet straps or even ‘break free’ if made up of multiple single components, that is worth consideration & may keep vosa off your back !! nice to see you say safe & secure.
Happy trucking

Swampey2418:
Someone told me during my training, when loading and securing a curtain sider, you should treat it just like them same as it was a flat bed…All the curtains do is keep the weather out…

Some of our curtainsiders have load restraining curtains and bars so there’s no need to strap anything. Basically treat it like a box

Lee1976:

Swampey2418:

Some of our curtainsiders have load restraining curtains and bars so there’s no need to strap anything. Basically treat it like a box

please en lighten me…the bars stop forward and rearward movement do they