Bionic Bubbles.

I had an early '86. When you considered the British alternatives, then this was luxury. Not long after I had an F88. At the time, the 88 and Scania 110, with a much roomier cab, we’re the 2 top trucks. If in the early '70’s you had either, you we’re envied.

Lovely little truck, very underpowered but pure luxury with a quiet cab, suspension seats, heaters and a radio. I learnt to drive in one. I wasnt old enough but shunted them round Hull Docks after school :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, they had their faults, like filling the oil and water through the hinged flap in the cab, cos tipping the cab on your own was a mammoth effort, when you were 11 :wink:

One thing I remember with the ones I drove was that the 5th wheel release used 2 levers and was on the left hand side. Wierd :confused:

Later in my career I had a F86 flat with an A frame drawbar trailer. I always wanted to do international having watched the lads from A One Transport heading for the ferries.

Another one from Gaydon 2008. There is a distinct shortage of these little workhorses. I know that Lyons had one and is that one from Ireby still around?

Sorry to side-track, but is that a York Teamster in the top picture??

It’s a very long time since I saw one of those - probably the early seventies, loaded with Coca-Cola empties going back into Schweppes at Aintree.

I was that kid in the passenger seat…

Eurohaul, Southampton circa 1977

My first experience of those great little motors was as a casual driver for Oscar and Brian at Dixon’s of Derby.
A big tipping firm at the time, Brian was in charge of vehicle sales and majored on Volvos as well as Crane Fruehauf trailers and he forced Oscar (transport side) to buy Volvos, ditching his old Atkis.
I did all sorts of work for them including a long period running an untaxed still-in-primer and tacholess F86 unit backwards and forewards to East Dereham to bring triple stacked trailers back to their storage yard at Castle Donnington. The transport operation was run from a cramped yard by the bridge at Shardlow.
I loved the comfort, warmth and music. Not something I had been used to. My brother however blotted his copy book by driving one with the difflock permanently engaged, wrecking it completely, never having met such a thing before. :unamused: He did wonder why the thing was reluctant to go round corners though. :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya ,
After a lot of firms buying heavyweight tractors eg. F88s Transcons etc there seemed to be a craze around 76/77time in my area for lorries that could carry the most weight . While Transcons & the like could only carry 19tons the 86 could carry 21 & as a factory fitted bunk became available a lot were sold around this time . I remember BRS Eastern bought a large number at Melton Mowbray & Northampton, as did Swifts , Wrefords & Butty’s before the F7 came out .

Did an F86 ever have a “factory fitted bunk”?
Iirc , the only “sleepers” were home made jobs by the driver.
Bit of plywood and a roll of foam rubber.

Suedehead:

Hiya ,
The late model ones that Swifts had - ‘S’ & ‘T’ reg. that had the brown trim- all were fitted with a bunk, i’m not sure whether it was a fold down type but definitely factory fitted .

tonyhogi:

Suedehead:

Hiya ,
The late model ones that Swifts had - ‘S’ & ‘T’ reg. that had the brown trim- all were fitted with a bunk, i’m not sure whether it was a fold down type but definitely factory fitted .

Fair play, didnt realise they were factory fitted - must admit i never drove one.
Comfiest (spelling) :blush: fold down bunk in a day cab ,had to be the ones in the Mans. . . was better than the Locomotors sleeper conversion on a Tm aka “Nightrider”

Good to see an F86 thread! There seems to be plenty of tractor photos about, but what about the rigids?

This one was my Dad’s, driven by my Uncle. First registered in Glasgow & came to us via Chaddesley Commercials of Kidderminster.

This eight wheeler was one of AE Stuart & Sons Livestock Transport from Clyst St Mary Exeter (Photo courtesy of Mr Bubbleman)

Any more out there? Andrew

spotted an old F86 4x2 unit (mid green cab) on a flat trailer on the A1 earlier today - hopefully on it’s way to restoration

Pebbles 74:
Good to see an F86 thread! There seems to be plenty of tractor photos about, but what about the rigids?

This one was my Dad’s, driven by my Uncle. First registered in Glasgow & came to us via Chaddesley Commercials of Kidderminster.

This eight wheeler was one of AE Stuart & Sons Livestock Transport from Clyst St Mary Exeter (Photo courtesy of Mr Bubbleman)

Any more out there? Andrew

The 8 leggers were built at the ailsa plant in Scotland

was there not a f86 that had an extended sleeper cab, i’m near sure i can remember some with an extra panel between the drivers door and the curved rear window ?

Did a short spell with KTS at Keynsham, with an F86,remember the first night out in Donny, decided to go and find some nosebag and a drink,slammed the drivers door and out popped the N/Side rear window! :open_mouth:,one of the other drivers in the park said it was quite common,due to the cab being so airtight,dont know if it was true or not, but there werent many drafts in it! anyway ,he obviously knew what he was doing cause 10 mins later,courtesy of a piece of string, he had the window back in! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: …chris

glenman:
was there not a f86 that had an extended sleeper cab, i’m near sure i can remember some with an extra panel between the drivers door and the curved rear window ?

I think you’re correct there Glenman…I remember seeing some LHD French extended sleeper cabs on F86s in 1980 in Rungis…they extended both upwards and rearwards…never saw a RHD one though

THOUGHT I WOULD PUT THIS ON HERE AS WELL MARK ;
SOME WHERE ON FOREIGN SHORES REGARDS ALAN :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hiya… you lads who have had nights out as i have in a F86(APT248S 8 legger)if the cab did,nt have had any windows
around the back and there was padding and not glass they would have been spot on for their day. it was the curtains
away from the glass(my curtains was not long enough to tuck under the foam).then you put your arm onto cold glass in
the middle of the night ooowwwaa
good old days
John

EBERSPACHER WHAT A HERO WOULD HAVE WARMED ALL THOSE CABS UP HA HA