Bionic Bubbles.

FB_IMG_1563214554939.jpg
A00216.JPG

coomsey:

Another blast from the past, Dixons of Derby. Drove my first F88 for them, brand new out of the box and I didn’t mention to the incredulous driver I chatted with at Watford Gap that I was only casual and they didn’t really give such prizes to newbies. My brother drove an F 86 there and, never having encountered a diff lock before, proceded to ignore it’s tendency to go straight on at corners and was forgiven the subsequent damage. Presumably because someone else had parked it up with it engaged.

I enjoyed the ongoing tussle between the brothers Dixon. Oscar, the transport man wanted Volvos, Brian, the salesman, wanted him to buy Renaults from his agency. :laughing:

True,Spardo.Looking back through 73 year old eyes I wonder how it ever came to pass although i was young and keen then.

Suedehead:
Whats the craic with the wipers
Did they ever park at the bottom of the windscreen ?

My theory is , the wipers were on when the driver took the picture or when ignition was turned off all power ceased , hence wipers being killed halfway through a swipe , well, ,haway lads man , I have just been watching csi ,

Nice bubble interior

Click on page twice to read.

Not so bionic now

Those pictures bring back a few memories we used to backload off HCA my dad was mates with Alan.Remember Alfie,Stuart,Alan and Mr Carter real gent and Barry,Alan and Bill’s brother who later had his own motor Leyland rigid with twistlocks? it seems such a long time ago

Singo55:
Those pictures bring back a few memories we used to backload off HCA my dad was mates with Alan.Remember Alfie,Stuart,Alan and Mr Carter real gent and Barry,Alan and Bill’s brother who later had his own motor Leyland rigid with twistlocks? it seems such a long time ago

Alan is still about. Alan Carter passed away. Bills wife died last week. Alf died too. Stuart is still around as is Barry, Bud, Terry

Wheel Nut:

Singo55:

Alan is still about. Alan Carter passed away. Bills wife died last week. Alf died too. Stuart is still around as is Barry, Bud, Terry

Same story here my dad and most of the lads from those days have gone.Didn’t Alan Carter run his own motors later and to be honest Alfie was a heart attack waiting to happen back then.Hard work but better days in my opinion

Wagon & drag, Buzzer

Another one for today, Buzzer

117525475_1901386033335651_1158622965394378738_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Another one for today, Buzzer

How come the 8 wheelers had twin headlamps and the others had singles ?

Singo55:

Wheel Nut:

Singo55:

Same story here my dad and most of the lads from those days have gone.Didn’t Alan Carter run his own motors later and to be honest Alfie was a heart attack waiting to happen back then.Hard work but better days in my opinion

Alan Carter Accident.jpg

Its very sad that Mr Rooke is very poorly. I had a message from his son earlier.

FB_IMG_1564773757251.jpg

Much praise has been given through these pages about Volvo F88s and F89s but what about the dear old F86.This little workhorse was a favorite amongst many hauliers and drivers also so lets hear some of your memories. Did you go with Dad in one,Did you have 4-5 nights out in one or did you go continental in one? Perhaps you,ve photo,s of these lorries, anyway heres my Bionic Bubble.

In my early days on Brit European I did one run to Germany in an F86 on a tank job.Had a bunk behind the seats,not what you’s put up with these days but I managed to kip OK.
Sorry no pics.

Hello Bubbleman :wink: I’ve got a list a mile long of F86 anecdotes from the past, I can remember on several occasions going on to a building site on rough ground and the chassis used to twist and you could’nt get reverse gear :unamused: oh yes - and the peg used to break off on the piston that operated the range change,not that often ,but when it did you only had the high gears, not much good if you were fully freighted :open_mouth: just a pity they used to rust as bad as they did - Eh!

To Bestbooties,I too have kipped on the fold down bunk a few times,there ai’nt a lotta room especially if your are a fat sod like me! Here’s a pic of one of Carmans '86s in their Trowbridge depot.

To Lemonmouth, I get that same problem trying to get reverse gear on uneven ground ,it’s called a Bionic Bast**d then !!!