BIG millage

Don’t know if this has been done before ? But who’s gone the furthest ? When ? How long ? Still doing it ? And
Pic’s will be nice. Come on guys got to be some tarmac munchers out there…

At least a couple of times.

Personally about 650kms.

I’m not talking about how many miles in a day.
The moment you leave with your loaded trailer to place of delivery ? Just that I no some of you guys did m/e and that’s big millage compared to roundtrip Barcelona or Prato ■■?..

There is at least one person here who apparently has been to the Chinese border, delivering from Italy, a few of the old middle East hands have done Pakistan and Afghanistan, maybe one or two got to India (in a truck not a 60-70`s hippy coach :laughing: ) and quite a few have done the “Stahns” in the far Eastern Russia.

There seem to be two of these ‘millage’ threads! I assume we’re not talking about grinding flour for bread and the poster means MILEAGE. If you go to page 5 on this forum you can find a thread called Over the Water in the 90s EC and Beyond. It doesn’t sound like a long-haul title but there are lots of good long trips in there. Also the Middle-East threads on here, of which there are several. The furthest I’ve done is UK to Doha, Qatar but others have gone much further to Pakistan, India, Chinese border (and very occasionally over it!). Here is the link for the Over the Water thread I mentioned. Robert:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=110000

My longest trip was over 8000miles, I went from the yard to Vancouver BC, reloaded Seattle WA for Halifax NS, then reloaded Miramichi NB for Niagara Falls ON Then loaded St Catherine’s ON and took that back to the yard.

I’ve done quite a few that come close to that too, a regular run used to be down to LA, back up to Edmonton AB, then down to Corpus Christi TX and back home, I also used to do a regular drop in North Carolina then reload in Maryland and Boston and come back home, around 4200miles all in and I did it in a week.

Poster ‘DEAN’s’ long-distance diary threads are a good source too. Lawrence Kiely did UK - Arabian Gulf - North Africa (Tunisia) in a single round trip that makes good reading with exemplary pictures. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=127155

Robert

hiya was it Keith the theif off TN who was in Egypt last year. Alexandria i think it was.he got out quick because of some trouble.
John

This is in kilometres. Coming out of Minneapolis, heading for Seattle. Over two days driving before the next junction.

Now this what I mean big distance didn’t know that people went to China tho. Who did that? How long? Wouldyou do it again? Must have had sone issues on that job? I heard that people were round tripping m/e in 6 weeks is this true■■?

Now this what I mean big distance didn’t know that people went to China tho. Who did that? How long? Wouldyou do it again? Must have had sone issues on that job? I heard that people were round tripping m/e in 6 weeks is this true■■?

Thanks guys for your input . to the guys over the pond bet its easy clocking up the miles there
I’ve only ever known European and I don’t do that now I was handy on the spanners and enjoyed it alot but stuck to what I did best take my hat off to those whom gone further

hiya i put a post on earlier its gone somewhere…i did put there are good books to read…cola cowboys.
not all sunshine and sand…long haul pioneers all great books written by the chaps who DID IT…the middle east.
theres a dvd Destination doha…that,s an Astran based film… you mentioned tarmac gobblers or similar…
these lads did snow /ice. unmade roads. other nutters driving wrecks on the wrong side of the road.
plus they coped with deserts… mountains and farmyards…not a lot of tarmac… any of the books is a must to read.
John

Cheers John I’ve read long haul pioneers and was supprised to find out the the lino in alty gave bob Paul his first load. He wouldn’t recognise the the Linotype now if the great man was alive it’s all houses …

karl2878:
Thanks guys for your input . to the guys over the pond bet its easy clocking up the miles there
I’ve only ever known European and I don’t do that now I was handy on the spanners and enjoyed it alot but stuck to what I did best take my hat off to those whom gone further

It isn’t as easy as you’d think, 700miles plus a day is a lot of driving, you don’t get those done if you don’t keep the driver’s door closed.

It’s a 52 week a year thing too, we get a fair bit of weather over here, but the job still gets done in pretty much the same time, it has to or we wouldn’t earn much in winter.

It’s a far cry from the M/E runs of old though, some of those trips were true tests of both man and machine, we may have mountain passes up to our eyes in snow, but help is a mobile phone call away if it all goes wrong and the people that come out to help will speak English (of sorts)

I was going to say bet you put a solid shift in !! Bet it gets lonely too . bet the grubs OK and plentyfull and have all you need at truckstops over there ■■ Put pops and whafside t/park to shame ha ha …

Karl2878:

I went to Shiraz in Iran back in 1974 as a 14 year old youth with my uncle, round trip 6 weeks, and that was with a few issues>

I get that was a good

I get that was a good eye opener as a kid ■■ I’m ■■■■■■ off with this computer its like the wife temperamental…

Am I rite in thinking that Brit firms and o/ ds still go out doing this work ■■?
So the likes of astran, whittles, Ralph davis, David croome, Davis turner, peter gilder still sending them out iI know I may have forgot some firms and my apologies for that. There was plenty at one point western doçk used to see plenty of them!!!