Big Crash Now @ Newark

Stay away from Northbound Newark now lads, just had a call to say its carnage, musta happened a few hours ago. 2 container lorries about 1/2 mile north of Newark into the back of one another and a car supposedly under one of the lorries. And at the Newark A46 slip a lorry carrying gas bottles etc theres been a smash there as well… Supposedly absolutely chaos.

Im just glad I got out of Newark at 3.30am and not much later by the sounds of it.

scottishcruiser:
Stay away from Northbound Newark now lads, just had a call to say its carnage, musta happened a few hours ago. 2 container lorries about 1/2 mile north of Newark into the back of one another and a car supposedly under one of the lorries. And at the Newark A46 slip a lorry carrying gas bottles etc theres been a smash there as well… Supposedly absolutely chaos.

Im just glad I got out of Newark at 3.30am and not much later by the sounds of it.

i heard it was carnage on cambs radio boout 6 ish but nothing bout a crash tho ,

radio 2 has just said north bound is closed at tuxford 10 miles from the newark junction, and will be till 2pm ish, s/b had one lane closed but that has now re-opended.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nott … 350084.stm

Crash on A1 brings traffic chaos
An accident involving two vehicles closed part of the A1 in Nottinghamshire causing traffic problems for commuters.

The accident happened shortly after 0530 GMT on the northbound carriageway at Sutton on Trent, 10 miles (16km) north of Newark.

Police closed both lanes and traffic was diverted through nearby towns.

Accident investigators are at the scene. Any witnesses have been asked to contact police.

PART of the A1 is closed this morning after a crash involving two lorries, a van and a car.

The accident happened at about 5.40am on the A1, ten miles north of Newark near Sutton-on-Trent.

Two lorries, a white transit van and a green Volvo were involved. One lorry was left lying on its side and fuel was spilt on the road after the accident.

Two men in the van were injured and have been taken to hospital.

One lane on both the northbound and southbound carriageways at Tuxford remains closed but work has started to clear the road.

Saw both.

The first one at Cromwell had a container truck from a Lincs company which had jacknifed and the cab had come off, it was about 20 feet further up the road from the unit.

The second I saw I managed to get a snap when stationary, click the thumnail for larger pic.

Bowserman my mate who phoned me up said the cab was a fair bit away from the rest of trailer… Must have been some crash for that to happen.

Christ the gas container guy didnt look to have much luck.

Im just glad I got away from tehre when I did… I wonder what caused it all to happen?? It was fairly cold all teh way home, A66 was quite badly frosty although no signs down by Newark when I left at 3.30am.

I got delayed about 1.5 hours southbound.

Not bothered though, I got the best deal looking at the accidents.

scottishcruiser:
I wonder what caused it all to happen??

Dunno about the other crash, but as far as the gas truck shunt was concerned, it appears to me to have all the hallmarks of simply driving too close to the vehicle in front. I see it all day every day on every Motorway and many dual carriageways. The plonkers don’t usually drive that close on other roads, so what makes them do it on Motorways?

That gas lorry looks a right mess, only one reason that happened, driving too close, still, hope the driver is ok :cry:

I know they are not the cause of this, not directly anyway, but speed limiters play a big part in all these rear end shunts, or more to the point the way we drive a limited vehicle, they create bunching & coupled to the fact that the vast majority of us have the attitude that we must go flat out & pass everything that is slower than us, even if it’s only .00000000000001km/h slower, that means that for a lot of the time we are far too close to the vehicle in front, it only takes one plonker to leave it until the last minute to get off on a slip a road causing the following vehicles to brake (hardly uncommon) & wallop, somebody is chewing their steering wheel.

I know that limiters contribute to this as I have recently slowed down to the speed at which a lot of the larger companies limit their trucks to, 64mph (I drive in the USA & Canada) now before when I was doing whatever speed I fancied it was almost stress free, i had plenty of space around me, but at 64mph I always seem to be in traffic, if someone is overtaking me the manouver takes forever & then they pull back in far too close & takes ages until I have a safe gap between us, well it would, but in the interests of self preservation I back off & let them past & get far enough in front before I hit the cruise & go back to 64mph, quite often as soon as I back off to let one truck past another will catch me up & the whole process repeats itself :unamused: luckily the only thing restricting me to 64mph is my interest to save fuel (I’m thinking of buying my truck so watching my costs carefully) so I can always put my foot down & get far enough ahead that I’m not in the middle of the pack anymore, or even slow down to 60mph for 5mins or so & let them all get far enough ahead that I feel safe at 64mph.

Now I don’t know the circumstances of the incident on the A1, but I would think it’s safe to assume that the gas lorry was on the limiter as the Asda? lorry hit his brakes, I would also think it was safe to assume that the driver of the gas lorry now wishes he hadn’t been & had left a safe distance in front of him, we’ve had limiters for 15yrs or so now, it’s about time that even the oldest drivers amongst us, who remember the 'good old pre limiter days, learned how to drive a limited vehicle safely & sitting less than your overall stopping distance away from the vehicle in front is just an accident waiting to happen, times have changed, attitudes have not :cry:

:frowning: god I wish someone had told me! I set off from near lincoln at about 13:00, decided not to go over dunham bridge (A57) as it doesn’t usually work out any faster, so, went for the A46 then the A1 north and was going to come off on the A57 (drop in retford). The diversion cost me 3 hours! (or should I say earned me 3hours!?). I wasn’t listening to the radio either so the first I knew about it was the diversion.

newmercman:
That gas lorry looks a right mess, only one reason that happened, driving too close, still, hope the driver is ok :cry:

I know they are not the cause of this, not directly anyway, but speed limiters play a big part in all these rear end shunts, or more to the point the way we drive a limited vehicle, they create bunching & coupled to the fact that the vast majority of us have the attitude that we must go flat out & pass everything that is slower than us, even if it’s only .00000000000001km/h slower, that means that for a lot of the time we are far too close to the vehicle in front, it only takes one plonker to leave it until the last minute to get off on a slip a road causing the following vehicles to brake (hardly uncommon) & wallop, somebody is chewing their steering wheel.

I know that limiters contribute to this as I have recently slowed down to the speed at which a lot of the larger companies limit their trucks to, 64mph (I drive in the USA & Canada) now before when I was doing whatever speed I fancied it was almost stress free, i had plenty of space around me, but at 64mph I always seem to be in traffic, if someone is overtaking me the manouver takes forever & then they pull back in far too close & takes ages until I have a safe gap between us, well it would, but in the interests of self preservation I back off & let them past & get far enough in front before I hit the cruise & go back to 64mph, quite often as soon as I back off to let one truck past another will catch me up & the whole process repeats itself :unamused: luckily the only thing restricting me to 64mph is my interest to save fuel (I’m thinking of buying my truck so watching my costs carefully) so I can always put my foot down & get far enough ahead that I’m not in the middle of the pack anymore, or even slow down to 60mph for 5mins or so & let them all get far enough ahead that I feel safe at 64mph.

Now I don’t know the circumstances of the incident on the A1, but I would think it’s safe to assume that the gas lorry was on the limiter as the Asda? lorry hit his brakes, I would also think it was safe to assume that the driver of the gas lorry now wishes he hadn’t been & had left a safe distance in front of him, we’ve had limiters for 15yrs or so now, it’s about time that even the oldest drivers amongst us, who remember the 'good old pre limiter days, learned how to drive a limited vehicle safely & sitting less than your overall stopping distance away from the vehicle in front is just an accident waiting to happen, times have changed, attitudes have not :cry:

I’ve been saying it ever since limiters were introduced that they’re causing more problems than they solve by causing bunching.I’m surprised to read that they’re making the same type of mistake over there now.But like going for 6X2 instead of 6x4 that idea of trying to trade high speeds for fuel consumption just is’nt worth it especially with those costs over there.Times have only changed because we’re all getting into that mindset of ever lower speeds and looking for profitability in the wrong places.If we take the consumption argument to it’s logical conclusion it’ll end up in a spiral of ever lower and lower speeds and worse and worse bunching.Times have changed for the worse and attitudes are an even worse mixture of old and new.It’s the old which is best and safest.

Carryfast,

I agree, the laws as they used to be reached a perfect balance in pretty much every walk of life, the only problem is we have hundreds of lawmakers & they have to keep coming up with new laws or they’re out of a job :unamused:

Probably the same applies to the Police & the courts, if they do their jobs too well they’ll soon have nothing to do, perhaps that’s why they don’t punish the yobbos that make everybodies life a misery, all the while they’re on the loose they all have a job :open_mouth:

People will have to adjust you are not going to see the old times return where
the limiter came in at 112kmph and thats that, However what is required
is a speed limit for ADR/HAZ loads of 80kmh so allowing the other commercial traffic to overtake, Furthermore distance between trucks etc It has helped and
also been proven KEEPING your distance allows a driver more time to react,
bring in stricter control just like in Germany and else where,Bunching is here to stay not just because lorrys are limited BUT the INCREASE of traffic on the roads
means more lorrys etc, and so less space on all roads in the UK and else where
in Europe.—Keep your distance it can save your and some one elses life!!!

sorry but that cab didn’t get that much damage from shunting the rear end of that artic. To me that looks more like the front truck wasn’t moving and the gas truck slammed right into the back of it.

Steve-o:
sorry but that cab didn’t get that much damage from shunting the rear end of that artic. To me that looks more like the front truck wasn’t moving and the gas truck slammed right into the back of it.

From that photograph it looks like the rear of the trailer has stood up to that impact very well, but it certainly looks like you described with only a car behind the gas lorry.

Any more news on the driver?

looking at that pic in full size

it looks like the gas truck has tried to steer to the left to avoid asda man :question: :question: rear of asda truck looks very nearly intact even the shutter door does not appear to be buckled :question: :question: :confused:

any news on the driver, are they o.k :question: :question:

very lucky those grey gas canisters (what ever gas they are carrying) did not get pierced or the accident could ended very differently :cry: :cry: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Steve-o:

Is the problem just the speed limiters or could ‘cruise control’ be partly responsible? At the time the accident happened it would still be dark and because of that the driver could have misjudged the distance between himself and the vehicle in front, if he was on cruise control and not concentrating or if he was tired and falling asleep, late cancellation of c/c would equal carnage.

All you drivers, take care. No matter how badly a lorry is damaged it can be replaced - you can’t!

xtruckerlady:

Steve-o:

Is the problem just the speed limiters or could ‘cruise control’ be partly responsible? At the time the accident happened it would still be dark and because of that the driver could have misjudged the distance between himself and the vehicle in front, if he was on cruise control and not concentrating or if he was tired and falling asleep, late cancellation of c/c would equal carnage.

All you drivers, take care. No matter how badly a lorry is damaged it can be replaced - you can’t!

whoah there… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i had nothing todo with that accident, i’ll have you know :exclamation: :wink:

Cruise Control:

xtruckerlady:

Steve-o:

whoah there… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i had nothing todo with that accident, i’ll have you know :exclamation: :wink:

Sorry, I read the message and not the name. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: