BEWARE - A5 Near Nuneaton

Watch the speed camera on the A5 south east bound at the A444 junction.
I’ve had FOUR summonses(?) in two weeks from Warwickshire Police.
48mph, 46mph, 46mph and 47mph.
Now, I’m not a speed demon and I didn’t zoom up to the camera to hit the brakes at the last minute and speed up again. I was pottering along as you do, with a queue of frustrated drivers behind me, all no doubt wondering why I was going so slow.(!)
So as I sit here contemplating my impending visit to court, I have one piece of advice for you all…
As my colleague got flashed by the same camera last Sunday doing 44mph, please go past this camera at 39mph or it wll get you.

FYI: National speed limit, single carriageway, Gatso (two flashes from behind - I didn’t see flash on any of the four occasions and I always look)

this camera is very well known to all of use including me,it as a weigher on the road about 20 yards short of it and if over 3.5 tons its set at forty odd for a hgv.as you say youve been done four times,well best of luck,i spent three wks trying to convince them it was’nt me to no avail.

This camera caught me last year at 47mph, my only ever speeding fine :angry:

its a well situated spot for earnig a few quid as its just off the bit of duel carridgeway there before the junction :smiling_imp:

we had a letter come around when i was on for wincanton telling us it was weight triggered. that one near the belfrey is supposed to be the same .but i aint going to be the one to find out

jon

Redgate on the a5 is notorious accident blackspot…a lot of trucks cross the A5 from both sides of A444

When I was running for BHS you could guarentee that sitting at 40 you would get a big queue behind you all the way along that stretch of the A5 - mostly TNT as I remember… … …

i think i am being done for 40 in 30 on the road through Crowland to Spalding cant remember any cameras on it

jonboy:
its a well situated spot for earnig a few quid as its just off the bit of duel carridgeway there before the junction :smiling_imp:

we had a letter come around when i was on for wincanton telling us it was weight triggered. that one near the belfrey is supposed to be the same .but i aint going to be the one to find out

jon

The camera near the Belfry is the same. I’ve seen it take an artic in front of me once. It even took my 7.5 tonner once but as I was doing less than 50 I was OK. Worried though in case plod got it wrong but I never heard any more.

Calv

IS it time for a national 40mph day for truckers?.

Can you imagine the tailbacks if we ALL done the limits as a protest?.

jammymutt:
IS it time for a national 40mph day for truckers?.

how about on a friday afternoon coming over the woodhead pass :unamused: :unamused:

Trucks doing 40 mph on a friday afternoon ! Are you having a laugh ?

:laughing:

Hitch - there is a camera as you come into the 30 in Cowbit (pronounced cubbit) from the Spalding end.

I’ve been doing 40 dead all day yesterday and today on the A605 between Thrapston and Peterborough. You can’t imagine the anger and frustration I’ve caused… And that’s just the Fowler Welch drivers.

Calv:

jonboy:

jon

The camera near the Belfry is the same. I’ve seen it take an artic in front of me once. It even took my 7.5 tonner once but as I was doing less than 50 I was OK. Worried though in case plod got it wrong but I never heard any more.

Calv

not so sure about that one i have been going past since it was put up and faster than forty and i have never seen it flash once and never been done

When I am on the road I stick to the limits anyway - I am paid by the hour so it really isn’t in my interest to speed, on some roads it causes big tailbacks and there are not always places to pull over that aren’t already full of trucks.

Personally, I think everyone should stick to the limit - then as you point out it is more likely to get raised !!

G

i do feel for you but i thought it was common knowledge on the a5 not to speed on there i remeber on the t.v that tis one of the biggest money earners for the gov

It is impossible for it to be able to sense your weight perhaps it counts your axles, if it senses your weight why when you get pulled by vosa do you have to crawl over the weighbridge.

It more likely senses the vehicle height to trip the threshold, or it could be done be vehicle length.

Dynamic weighing plates are now becoming more common. There has been one on the M6 S/B between Jn 7 and 6 since it was built, but it is only in recent time that the technology has been in place for it to be reasonably accurate. It is now linked to cameras to identify any overweight vehicle, but the vehicle still has to be stopped and, (i think) re-weighed on a static weighbridge for accuracy.

its a single carriage way road both ways where the cameras are so if your doing over 40 youll get flashed .i dont understand why people moan about being flashed by a camera you should know the speed limit for the size of vehicle your in.that junction was a notorious accident blackspot with many fatalities.i got 3 points on the 303 in somerset years ago 50 in a 40 my fault no one else it slowed me down when i were driving after that on single carriage way roads i stick to the limit .if people behind were getting irate tough crap.im not putting points on my license for them.in certain countries abroad you see signs with the speed limit for trucks and cars for that road and im sure theres roads in scotland the same.failing that read the highway code

The new ones on the A1 are pretty spectacular - although they’ve been there a while, one at Purdy’s Lodge and the other at the garage at the Lindisfarne turn. They’ve been stripped of their yellow coats, but now have gurt great flashing signs just before them, so you have no excuse for forgetting they’re there. They’re the sort of speed triggered signs some villages have in them these days.

At risk of incriminating myself, I was just slowing ready for the cameras so must have been down to about 44-ish and set the signs off both times. After recovering from the shock and narrowly avoiding the ditches, it struck me that if the signs could tell I was a truck (the cars going faster in front of me didn’t trigger them), then the cameras no doubt could too.

There’s also one with a really obvious height sensor near Eyemouth on the Southbound side, by the way…I think they’re trialling several systems along there. :bulb: