Better cab or more power?

What would you choose? I once swapped a beast of a truck, with a low roofed cab, for something that wouldn’t pull you out of bed, but I could stand up in it, and plenty of storage space.

Depends. Tramping all week I would prefer a decent cab. Day work, more power.

bugcos:
What would you choose? I once swapped a beast of a truck, with a low roofed cab, for something that wouldn’t pull you out of bed, but I could stand up in it, and plenty of storage space.

The same as you , it’s all right having a speed machine but if it’s not comfy at night it’s not worth it
Day’s only then the other way I would choose as I’ve not got to sleep in it

Hourly pay makes it a no brainer for me; comfort wins over snipping my wages everytime. I’d much rather arrive late and relaxed than early and with my hair on fire!

the maoster:
Hourly pay makes it a no brainer for me; comfort wins over snipping my wages everytime. I’d much rather arrive late and relaxed than early and with my hair on fire!

Yep I wouldn’t do this job salaried :wink:

If you don’t need the power, then it’s a waste. Comfort is the way to go!

I’m built for comfort not speed…

Just how I like my lorry.

Depends…i once had an early flat roof F12 (12 Turbo six) and that was fine long distance, obviously a little low on cab height but i had it fitted with the later spec 12 litre edc 400hp engine from a 92 model year F12, mechanically everything was just a straight swop but the wiring was a few hours work. I found that a great truck and power over relative comfort was a good compromise.
My current Fh13 500 has been remapped to approx 570hp and is great on comfort and couldnt really ask for better although now having got used to this power im after an FH 16 FH4 maybe later in the year 660 spec…

Power benefits the operator, he gets more work done in theory and more milage covered, thus making him more money.

Comfort and living space benefit me, I am on hourly pay and I have no desire or intention to please, or become a hero in the eyes of my boss to my own detriment…unlike many :unamused:

So take a guess. :bulb:

robroy:
Power benefits the operator, he gets more work done in theory and more milage covered, thus making him more money.

I always work on the idea bigger capacity engine with more torque equals lower engine revs and better longevity. Also equates to better fuel economy overall with less (if any) downchanges on the gradients…

AndrewG:

robroy:

I always work on the idea bigger capacity engine with more torque equals lower engine revs and better longevity. Also equates to better fuel economy overall with less (if any) downchanges on the gradients…

Yeh maybe so, and if the truck was mine then it would be a major concern to me.
However it aint so it aint.

Cab comfort every time. I don’t go into convulsions over the odd hill at 40 instead of 56. Who honestly gives a ■■■■ driver wise?

Priorities …
Pay 1st, Comfort and cab 2nd, power comes last.

All depends on what you need the lorry to do, i’m a day man and going into tight places and regular runs that are frustrating journeys with modern junk, when loaded i’m @ 43+ tons all the time so my requirements are a bit different to general or tramping style.

My ideal would be day or short sleeper cab with windows all round, top speed of little interest but a big enough in capacity engine with some guts (not necessarily high bhp) and a proper manual gearbox, preferably non synchro, to bring back some lorry driving pleasure.
Right money is a given.

Chances of anyone offering me a good job and the right lorry, nil :smiling_imp:

For me I would rather have a decent see cab not bothered about speed gets there when gets there atm mine is limited to 53mph but as living in it most of week would like some comfort thanks

Better cab every time. First wagon was a cf and never minded the hump, moved on and up to flat floors and there’s nothing better than having plenty of space.
Actually went back to the first job for a week of sick cover, and couldn’t believe how crampt it was. No compromise for space and comfort on the job.

Cab comfort every time.

Not into willy waving power competitions, when I was doing 3 weeks away in Europe it was my home 24 hours a day, I only drove it for a max of 9 hours a day. Simple equation.
There’s nothing that would persuade me to give up comfort for more power.

James the cat:
Cab comfort every time. I don’t go into convulsions over the odd hill at 40 instead of 56. Who honestly gives a [zb] driver wise?

At 44t on gradients as well as on the flat maxed with no downchanges means more relaxed driving and quicker journey times, i do give a ■■■■ :grimacing:

AndrewG:

James the cat:
Cab comfort every time. I don’t go into convulsions over the odd hill at 40 instead of 56. Who honestly gives a [zb] driver wise?

At 44t on gradients as well as on the flat maxed with no downchanges means more relaxed driving and quicker journey times, i do give a [zb] :grimacing:

So you would take a smaller cramped cab, with fewer facilities and less storage space etc, but more power, over a top range spacious more comfortable sleeper (assuming you are a tramper here btw) with a smaller engine…just to get in a quicker journey time. :neutral_face:

I spent most of the 90’s tramping, including being weekended in 3 Series Scanias. Also drove a couple of Space Cab Dafs and a F12 Globetrotter during that time. Always preferred the way a truck drove to the amount of crap I could stuff into the cab.

As there isn’t really a cab on the market now as small as that old R cab I would still choose power over massive headroom.