Better cab or more power?

You couldn’t complain about the room in my cab, I have to stand up and actually walk to the sleeper area, my bunk is a full 3/4 sized single bed but I would gladly give it up for a good Scania.

robroy:

AndrewG:

James the cat:
Cab comfort every time. I don’t go into convulsions over the odd hill at 40 instead of 56. Who honestly gives a [zb] driver wise?

At 44t on gradients as well as on the flat maxed with no downchanges means more relaxed driving and quicker journey times, i do give a [zb] :grimacing:

So you would take a smaller cramped cab, with fewer facilities and less storage space etc, but more power, over a top range spacious more comfortable sleeper (assuming you are a tramper here btw) with a smaller engine…just to get in a quicker journey time. :neutral_face:

Well i used to do all over Europe in an F7 so im used to a smaller cab (im sure we’ve all had one at some point) and gradually had power increases as i managed to buy better units (F10/12/16) and these obviously came with the extra comfort and storage space. My current ones a standard height Fh13 and as i dont ever really carry anymore than i need its plenty big enough for my needs and at 570hp its ok pwerwise. Doing 2k km single loads from Calais to Malaga having enough power to keep on the limiter up hill and on the flat can mean quite significantly quicker journey times and if i was offered more comfort than what i already have over extra power i’d take the horses anyday. Having to drop down a gear occasionally when it drops out of the torque band means (to me anyway) that at the moment i dont have enough power for my particular needs hence the possible change to a FH16 660 later in the year. It wont be new, probably a year old when the bulk of the depreciation has hit. I doubt it will be any more comfortable than what i already have though…

blue estate:

the maoster:
Hourly pay makes it a no brainer for me; comfort wins over snipping my wages everytime. I’d much rather arrive late and relaxed than early and with my hair on fire!

Yep I wouldn’t do this job salaried :wink:

I’m salaried mate, and it would have to some good hourly wage to get me of it, don’t care if the port is winded off or if I get sent to a customer a day early ,4 times this year, just park up and chill, therefore its cab over power all the time.
Let’s face it on UK work where do you get the opportunity to blast up a hill anyway, as there is always some else dragging up ahead of you. Makes me smile whenever I see a big power type (fh16 v8 scan etc) closed in by a result premium, they crest the hill and premium guy is then on gravity drive down the other side.

eddie snax:
Let’s face it on UK work where do you get the opportunity to blast up a hill anyway, as there is always some else dragging up ahead of you.

And here lies the difference between doing UK and European work and power requirements.
On the autoroutes you can go hour after hour with absolutley no hold ups, not something you can do in the UK and where having lower power is not going to make much difference in journey times also taking into consideration shorter overall routes.

To be fair how many big horsepower engines are actually sat under tiny units anyway? Can’t say I’ve really noticed a 5/600+ hp wagon with a little cab any were.
Unless there’s an overpowered, hill eating, car transporter about?

Being an hourly paid night trunker, it has to be comfort every time!

eddie snax:

blue estate:

the maoster:
Hourly pay makes it a no brainer for me; comfort wins over snipping my wages everytime. I’d much rather arrive late and relaxed than early and with my hair on fire!

I’m salaried mate, and it would have to some good hourly wage to get me of it, don’t care if the port is winded off or if I get sent to a customer a day early ,4 times this year, just park up and chill, therefore its cab over power all the time.
Let’s face it on UK work where do you get the opportunity to blast up a hill anyway, as there is always some else dragging up ahead of you. Makes me smile whenever I see a big power type (fh16 v8 scan etc) closed in by a result premium, they crest the hill and premium guy is then on gravity drive down the other side.

Just one thing to add i’m assured 48 hours pay any thing over is paid OT :wink:

blue estate:

eddie snax:

blue estate:

the maoster:

I’m salaried mate, and it would have to some good hourly wage to get me of it,.

Just one thing to add i’m assured 48 hours pay any thing over is paid OT :wink:

And I was on a basic for 10hrs a day overtime there after at my previous employer, you’d be surprised how many times they would park us up on 10-11hrs, OK back at base, but a right pain for a tramper.

AndrewG:

eddie snax:
Let’s face it on UK work where do you get the opportunity to blast up a hill anyway, as there is always some else dragging up ahead of you.

And here lies the difference between doing UK and European work and power requirements.
On the autoroutes you can go hour after hour with absolutley no hold ups, not something you can do in the UK and where having lower power is not going to make much difference in journey times also taking into consideration shorter overall routes.

Totally agree,