Best union to join

I would like your opinion on which is the best uniun to join for the transport sector,thank you.

Just from my own experience, I wouldn’t bother throwing my money away.

Over the years I’ve been a member of TGWU and URTU…neither of which did me any favours except to help empty my pockets.

I don’t have anything against unions as a whole…I have survived just as well without them.

thank you,now anyone on the positive side?

It all depends on how good your Union Rep. is.
I was in Amicus at my last job and the Rep. was brilliant,before that I was in The T.G.W.U. and the Rep was absolute pants.

I’m with Shrek on this one I’m afraid,and I think you’ll find the consensus of opinion will be the same,HOWEVER…

I am in the TGWU,and have been for about 8 years,and the reason is,for what I pay,which is about £2 per week,if I need legal representation for anything,I know that a solicitor isn’t going to cost me an arm and a leg,as more often or not,the union will pay for it.

Ken.

I have been with URTU for well over 10 years with no complaints.

Very good at legal issues on a personal level and representing a member.

My rep has represented me in an ET once and given me advice on employment law in the past.

I have always been the only employee in a union wherever I have worked but still get the same representation by URTU.

As a national driving force for change, I do not rate them or any other union much but in their defence all union powers were stripped in the past during the 80s & 90s.

solidaritytradeunion.net/

Thank you for your reply,s, having just gone through redundancy with the feeling of no-one to turn to for advice i was thinking of joining for my next job which i am due to start in janruary. :confused:

Quinny:
I’m with Shrek on this one I’m afraid,and I think you’ll find the consensus of opinion will be the same,HOWEVER…

I am in the TGWU,and have been for about 8 years,and the reason is,for what I pay,which is about £2 per week,if I need legal representation for anything,I know that a solicitor isn’t going to cost me an arm and a leg,as more often or not,the union will pay for it.

Ken.

Is the TGWU now called UNITE :question:

None of them if you ask me. People often moan about the decline of manufacturing in this country forgetting that it was the unions that started the decline in the first place. They are useless, look at the car companies in the US, the reason the government wont bail the out is because the unions wont agree to cuts.

Sorry, not what your looking for but I cant help having a rant when it comes to unions!

ROG:

Quinny:

Ken.

Is the TGWU now called UNITE :question:
[/quote]

Amicus and TGWU have combined into a new union called UNITE.

bobbya:
Thank you for your reply,s, having just gone through redundancy with the feeling of no-one to turn to for advice i was thinking of joining for my next job which i am due to start in janruary. :confused:

i ve recently gone through redundancy with comet and the tgwu were about as much use as t.its on a fish!!!anything i got i had to do myself, however i am still a member for the legal representation as someone has already said.

I would,nt join any!

I was a member of unison for several years and a section rep, got involved in many issues of which some were sorted on the positive side but these were only sorted by the reps speaking to the employer and with no involvement from the head office or area office, whenever we did have to use the area guy or head office then you banged your head against a thick wall, we had a compulsory change of contract enforced on us it took head office nearly 12 months to even meet with us and then it only lasted 5 mins cos they wanted to got to the pub, one already smelt of booze, anyway most guys lost faith and signed the new contract, 5 of us stuck it out on our own and won,

again with using them for legal, the union will tell you use their own legal section but will still be able to instruct /influence the issue,

there is no union for drivers i am sorry to say

The best?

The PFJ (Peoples front of Judea)

Don’t get it mixed up with the Popular peoples front though [zb] ers!

Basically there are 2 unions for drivers.

There’s the huge one, Unite, with a huge membership, of which drivers are a tiny minority. This means that although the union is in a position to exert quite a bit of influence, it’ll exert it on behalf of it’s biggest and most vocal section.
That section isn’t drivers.

There’s the small one, URTU, who’s membership is mainly drivers, I’m one of them. This one is too small to have any great influence.

Both these unions give very similar membership benefits, for very similar rates.
Insurance deals
Legal assistance
etc etc.
You can find out all these things from their web sites.
There isn’t a great deal between them really.

I’ve saved quite a bit of money through membership of URTU.
I’ve almost certainly given them that amount back, in membership fee’s.

International Road Association.

European Transport Association.

United Vehicle Federation.

Try googleing their initials.

Forget the union,

join the Confederates :wink:

i don,t go in for flag waving,miners banners now that is for real,proper heroes or maybe it is just me,but if it wasn,t for those boys where would we be now?PS is maggie dead yet?

bobbya:
i don,t go in for flag waving,miners banners now that is for real,proper heroes or maybe it is just me,but **if it wasn,t for those boys where would we be now?**PS is maggie dead yet?

If you mean Scargills lot then we’d probably still be digging coal out of the bloody ground rather than importing most of it :open_mouth:

Having said that I have the greatest respect for Joe Gormley and the miners of the seventies :wink: