Best tyre for nearside 3rd axle on a bulk tipping trailer

Hi all,

I am really struggling to find a tyre for the nearside 3rd axle on my 09 Fruehauf bulk tipping trailer, that will last longer than 6 months!!

What are you good folks out there using, and what sort of life span are you achieving, what pressure do you run them at, etc?

All advice would be very welcome, tar. :grimacing:

I would suggest tyre rotation, but first of all I would get the alignment checked.

The front and rear axles on a triaxle will get shoulder wear through scrubbing, but they should all wear the same on both of those axles, even if you were driving in a clockwise circle all day, the other tyres, especially the one diagonally opposite would all show similar wear rates.

What is the specific wear pattern on that tyre? Do you have any photos of it? The Michelin dudes on here should, if they know their stuff, be able to tell you exactly what’s causing the excessive wear if you can put a picture of it on here :wink:

What tyres have you tried?

newmercman:
I would suggest tyre rotation, but first of all I would get the alignment checked.

The front and rear axles on a triaxle will get shoulder wear through scrubbing, but they should all wear the same on both of those axles, even if you were driving in a clockwise circle all day, the other tyres, especially the one diagonally opposite would all show similar wear rates.

What is the specific wear pattern on that tyre? Do you have any photos of it? The Michelin dudes on here should, if they know their stuff, be able to tell you exactly what’s causing the excessive wear if you can put a picture of it on here :wink:

No picture to put on, but it is wearing evenly, with the usual scrub expected on that particular corner, I am currently running first life block pattern Michelins across the back axle, I have tried various different makes, but nothing seems to last.

I think Dunlop sp 244’s are hard to beat,I run them on flat trailers running steel to Building sites,windfarms etc,they have a good wide shoulder and straight tread pattern,run them at 120 psi.Buying them at the moment for 375 euro,Double coin and other cheapies are around 320 but they wear badly on the shoulders and tend to blowout quite often!

jimmy2loads:
Hi all,

I am really struggling to find a tyre for the nearside 3rd axle on my 09 Fruehauf bulk tipping trailer, that will last longer than 6 months!!

What are you good folks out there using, and what sort of life span are you achieving, what pressure do you run them at, etc?

I put Bridgestone M748’s on back axle and they usually last 6-7 months then I put them on middles till they’re ready to recut then they stay there till ■■■■■■. I’ve got a pair on middle now that we’re off the back axle and they’ve done 96000kms and not been cut yet.

Matt

we put double coins on all 3 axles on our fruehauf bulkers ( due too quarry work) n get about 7 months out of them before they get cut n put on the middle axles

hankook th22 were getting 9 months at least on short distance bulk tipping hope this helps

xfmatt:

jimmy2loads:
Hi all,

I put Bridgestone M748’s on back axle and they usually last 6-7 months then I put them on middles till they’re ready to recut then they stay there till [zb]. I’ve got a pair on middle now that we’re off the back axle and they’ve done 96000kms and not been cut yet.

Matt

I ran 748’s along side hankook am15’s on a brick and block trailer and the hankooks did he best by far! a local quarry and tipper operator ran tests with the hankooks which are said to be cut resistant, but they have gone up in price a fair amount since the last set I bought which at the time were about the same cost as the 748’s
I still run am15’s and have a full set on my flat trailer at the moment

What price for the Hankooks at moment please? Last 748 I got was £320 iirc.

Michy XZY3 seem bomb-proof to us.

xfmatt:

don’t know the price at the moment as I bought 6 together about 3 years ago, they are still fitted and 97% tread remaining as I don’t use the trailer every day
I am sure they will be in the same ball park as the 748’s at the moment, they have the same type of tread pattern and I think they have a slightly wider footprint as far as the eye can tell, never measured them tho
How long since you had your last 748?
just another point last time I looked on the bridgestone website the 748’s are an all position tyre, I know some hauliers that go onto farms use these on the front steer axle

GCR2ERF:

These are the ones I am currently running, but I am not that impressed with them

Over the past 12 months tyre prices have come down in price a bit, generally through discounts from the manufacturer.

jimmy2loads:

GCR2ERF:

These are the ones I am currently running, but I am not that impressed with them

Oh :blush: … our regular tyre fitter swears by Taurus - reckons they are as hard as nails.

Hi Jimmy2loads

Could you tell me the exact Michelin tyre that you have fitted at the moment on the third axle and the tyre size.

I will get in touch with technical for you and as for some official advice.

Have a nice day!

Moose:

xfmatt:

don’t know the price at the moment as I bought 6 together about 3 years ago, they are still fitted and 97% tread remaining as I don’t use the trailer every day
I am sure they will be in the same ball park as the 748’s at the moment, they have the same type of tread pattern and I think they have a slightly wider footprint as far as the eye can tell, never measured them tho
How long since you had your last 748?
just another point last time I looked on the bridgestone website the 748’s are an all position tyre, I know some hauliers that go onto farms use these on the front steer axle

Last one I bought was end of may £320.

How come you never see bulkers with a rear steer? Weight is it? I’d spec one if I was running at max weight all the time as it must beast the tyres.

Silver_Surfer:
How come you never see bulkers with a rear steer? Weight is it? I’d spec one if I was running at max weight all the time as it must beast the tyres.

theres a couple of guys up here in aberdeenshire that have tried rear steers on bulkers whilst yes the saved on rubber they added at least 400kg on to the tare weight and where weight is king 400kg over a month is a lot of cash

I’ve got gt radial 878 I think they are on the tipper. Seem to last about 10 months on the back.