Best truckstop food

My vote goes to Junction 38 Tebay.All homemade ingredients,locally sourced so keeps small businesses going in the area.Lots of veg with the meal and good choice.
Second best would be The Hollies, the food is very good in there now.
Third is Rugby Truckstop,about five curries to choose from,but staying there sundays means the choice is not so much.
Feel free to add to the list and the reasons why you like the food and what is on offer in your stopping places.
I have heard that The Red Lion at Northampton gets full up early and lots of positive comments about how good it is and the owners have spent a lot of money there.

And junction 24 M5 Bridgwater cattle market.Roast dinners and good breakfadts.
Free for now but soon pay to park.

toby1234abc:
I have heard that The Red Lion at Northampton gets full up early and lots of positive comments about how good it is and the owners have spent a lot of money there.

In there now and they have done a great job in refurbishing the place and the food was spot on.

Highly recommended.

I’ve stocked up on a few pies when I past there on mi way to scotch yesterday:) from the services. They’re bloody beautiful I tell ya! :smiley:

Stopped for my tea last night at Tebay, food is good but think that the carvery down the road at truckhaven takes some beating.

That is from Tebay services may I add.

Had a snack attack off J9 M42, Edison Way, road to Maritime/Trade Team me thinks, full fatty, heart tester for £3.

Lush.

Keep going to the end of the road and theres a place to do a few gear changes and your back for a decent meal :wink:

I think we should name our best snack vans that trade in the lay by’s and ind est. one of mine is the one just before the Worksop turn off on the A1 North. Always lovely sarnies with local Lincolnshie sausage :smiley:

My all time favourite was when I used to regularly call in at Sweaty Betty’s on the Cockermouth to Trollington road. If you asked for a sausage cob, she’d slap you one.

She used to pull the ‘hot’ sausage out of her ■■■■■ & butter the bread by wiping it under her armpit.

30mins with her daughter in the Portaloo only cost £15. Bargain or what !

Chas:
My all time favourite was when I used to regularly call in at Sweaty Betty’s on the Cockermouth to Trollington road. If you asked for a sausage cob, she’d slap you one.

She used to pull the ‘hot’ sausage out of her ■■■■■ & butter the bread by wiping it under her armpit.

30mins with her daughter in the Portaloo only cost £15. Bargain or what !

Did you get asked if you wanted sauce with her daughter? :grimacing:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Did you get asked if you wanted sauce with her daughter? :grimacing:

Isn’t sauce her dad?

I’m all up for a mother & daughter sandwich, but if you have fantasies about dad & his daughter, well that’s just sick.

toby1234abc:
My vote goes to Junction 38 Tebay.All homemade ingredients,locally sourced so keeps small businesses going in the area.Lots of veg with the meal and good choice.
Second best would be The Hollies, the food is very good in there now.
Third is Rugby Truckstop,about five curries to choose from,but staying there sundays means the choice is not so much.
Feel free to add to the list and the reasons why you like the food and what is on offer in your stopping places.

I make you right about Jct 38 - good food and good surroundings,clean.
The Hollies, I last went in there when the owner was on CB as Green Goddess(have I just made that up?) it was slop.
Rugby Truckstop? Really?
Red Lion, this is the place for a curry.
Stockyard is the best in my book.
Heywood is above average.
Avonmouth is ok.
Markham Moor at a push :slight_smile:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
That is from Tebay services may I add.

penrith porker is the one pal :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: tastes the mutz nutz :sunglasses:

Markham Moor? Really?!

Orwell have some nice food. I like Colsterworth, The Hollies and, for the “price”, Lincoln Farm

I don’t do truckstops much but stockyard food is always great and York cattle market isn’t far behind

claretmatt:
Markham Moor? Really?!

I did say ‘at a push’ :wink:
I don’t mind the steak and kidney pie and veg, beats all day breakfast or chips.

The Stockyard, and PJM by Coventry airport.

Dave55:
The Hollies, I last went in there when the owner was on CB as Green Goddess(have I just made that up?) it was slop.

No you were right but that would have been close to 30 yrs ago :open_mouth:
It has since had a refurb and conditions much improved !

For me, it’s Ma Larkins, J27 on the M1 next to the council yard. Off the sliproad Northbound, and as you get to the top, it’s on the left. Yellow cabin.

Bit of a bugger to get into though at times, but I’m still alive after eating in there for 12 years, and the family have become good friends of mine.

Husband works for Taylors at Mansfield, so she knows what we guys want from a food perspective.

Oh, and if you visit, then manners are expected. Old school you see.

Ken.

Chippenham is not bad.Had some good stews and casseroles in there.Big helpings too.