Best Holiday destinations

Or exotic locations you’ve been to or recommend…we went to Cuba back in 2010…I liked it but the wife didn’t.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Florida left me with the view that the climate in the Carribbean is too wet and humid in the Summer and the tropical latitude means short days and long nights like late August/September here.
I think Europe has everything I need from the Alpine scenery and terrain to the coastline of Sardinia.Also not much can beat the Summer climate of mid to Southern Europe.
The climate of North America is also a bit nuts in that regard varying from silly temperature extremes over short distances and no guarantee that the weather will match anything like the season even in June or July and even in California and although the Rockies are impressive nothing that the Alps can’t really match.
The rest of the world also seems to vary from hot humid jungle to even hotter desert.Maybe New Zealand being an exception and arguably the only place really worth leaving Europe to see.

I’ll start with Paphos Cyprus, we were there a few weeks ago.
3 times in the same hotel, in 5 years,.all inclusive.

Plenty to do, done the jeep safaris as they call them into the countryside,.and the usual boat trips.

This year we did a day trip to Nicosia which was enjoyable.
Crossed into the Turkish side which was full of the fake contraband goods.
Wife got a designer handbag for 20 Euros, (she tells me you can not tell the difference between that and the 200 quid model) and I got a couple pair of Nike Air Force 1s trainers for 25 Euros each. :sunglasses: :smiley:
Told my lads when I got home they were the genuine article :smiley: …I thought they actually knew me. :smiley:

Fancying Malta next year…anybody been?
My Dad was stationed there in the Navy,.he always said he loved the place.

If you fancy Malta I would recommend Marsaxlokk

I did a couple of month long dry docks in the latter half of the 60s when I first went to sea
A couple of years ago I decided to go back and have another look.

The reason I rate Marsaxlokk is it’s not too Touristy but has really good restaurants and on the bus route so you can go anywhere in no time. Just buy a bus card and hey ho.
Also great for spotting old British wagons, maybe even some from before you were born.

whisperingsmith:

I did a couple of month long dry docks in the latter half of the 60s when I first went to sea

The reason I rate Marsaxlokk is it’s not too Touristy but has really good restaurants and on the bus route so you can go anywhere in no time. Just buy a bus card and hey ho.
Also great for spotting old British wagons, maybe even some from before you were born.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g190323-Marsaxlokk_Island_of_Malta-Vacations.html

Cheers mate, I’ll get the wife on the case. :smiley:

Only place I’ve been outside Europe is South Africa a few years back. Enjoyed it. Food was really, really good and I’m not a big foodie, could get decent beer most places. Relatively cheap.
Bit of an eye opener in places…
Common sight to see them pulling and stripping truck hubs at the side of the roads

Called in like a spar shop one night on way back to digs and the power went off for the Load shedding. Next minute back of shop fills with smoke and what sounded like an old trawler engine fired up, lights came on lol.

Did a 2 night safari thing. The lodges were awesome, go outside in the morning and there’s 2 rhinos just chilling in the grass. There was a ranger/guard there 24/7.

I’d really like to go to Cuba if and when I can afford it.

whisperingsmith:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g190323-Marsaxlokk_Island_of_Malta-Vacations.html

How long were you at sea for? What did you do?
Sorry off topic, just interested :slight_smile:

I went to Cuba in 1998 with my ex, first week touring the island, second week on the beach in Varadero. First week was good, second week a bit of an anti-climax.

Cuba is good, Varadero the first time was okay, the second and third time to Playa Pesquero in the Holguin province was exceptional. I’m currently sat on a balcony in Alvor in Portugal which is an absolute gem of a place.

The black forest in Germany is really good, I can really recommend the B500 and all the roads around there, the tarmac is so smooth, loads of Twisties. Coming back through the Ardennes, both France and Belgium are also fantastic some absolutely perfect tarmac, not what you expect in Belgium! And sweeping bends that go on forever. What more could you want?

> md1987:
> How long were you at sea for? What did you do?
> Sorry off topic, just interested :slight_smile:

Started off as a Deck/Navigation Cadet, 4 years to qualify as an Officer.

Start to finish about 26 years, but not all at sea - some as an owner driver (inc. ME) & owner skipper.
Ships & Trucks - living the dream.

whisperingsmith:
> md1987:
> How long were you at sea for? What did you do?
> Sorry off topic, just interested :slight_smile:

Started off as a Deck/Navigation Cadet, 4 years to qualify as an Officer.

Start to finish about 26 years, but not all at sea - some as an owner driver (inc. ME) & owner skipper.
Ships & Trucks - living the dream.

Nice one. Ships are way cooler than trucks :laughing:

Goa in India.
Very nice people,nice unspoilt beaches,great food and very cheap but I guess you pay a lot to get there.Everyone riding motorbikes,no license,no helmets,no insurance,no brrathalysers.

Many of us old truckers talk about ‘the good old days’',but a sad fact is now a much larger part of the world is less welcoming,for a variety of reasons.This obviously affects a holiday destiantion.Also is your holiday a ‘yearly binge’,or a ‘once in a lifetime adventure’.If the former then Italy has always been good.If the latter then Nepal & Iceland take some beating.Canada is always nice as is northern Scandinavia,but both of these take time to enjoy due to the size & remoteness.

hutpik:
Many of us old truckers talk about ‘the good old days’',but a sad fact is now a much larger part of the world is less welcoming,for a variety of reasons.This obviously affects a holiday destiantion.Also is your holiday a ‘yearly binge’,or a ‘once in a lifetime adventure’.If the former then Italy has always been good.If the latter then Nepal & Iceland take some beating.Canada is always nice as is northern Scandinavia,but both of these take time to enjoy due to the size & remoteness.

I’ve never been out of Europe, unless you count Turkey…(is that part Europe part Asia, or have I just made a ■■■■ of myself :laughing: )
There are a number of places I would love to go to but won’t, North Africa to visit battle field sites in Libya, and a number of places in Middle East, but I won’t go for obvious reasons, …orange jump suits don’t suit me especially on video. :smiley:
Had a opportunity in early 80s to take a truck out to Baghdad, and I would even be running with an experienced ME driver, but to my eternal regret I did not. :unamused:
Even Egypt, my mate put me off when he said his bus trips from his holiday complex to the pyramids had a fully armed ■■■■■■. :open_mouth:
Is Tunisia back on the Brit hol list these days?

Never been bothered in visiting the States or Australia, but I would love to do the Far East and the Pacific Islands.
Also there are still places in Europe I have not done.

Jordan is pretty safe Rob.

If you’re into ancient sites the Roman City of Jerash is quite awesome in its scale, though I never had the time to stop and look around.

Petra also.

Saudi is now opening up for Tourism and Al Ula is pretty spectacular https://www.experiencealula.com

I’ve been lucky to travel all over the world getting paid, but my favorite places these days are the smaller Greek Islands, particularly the Cyclades and prices are much cheaper than the UK. 1/2 a litre of good local wine is about 5Euros.

whisperingsmith:
Jordan is pretty safe Rob.

If you’re into ancient sites the Roman City of Jerash is quite awesome in its scale, though I never had the time to stop and look around.

Petra also.

Saudi is now opening up for Tourism and Al Ula is pretty spectacular https://www.experiencealula.com

I’ve been lucky to travel all over the world getting paid, but my favorite places these days are the smaller Greek Islands, particularly the Cyclades and prices are much cheaper than the UK. 1/2 a litre of good local wine is about 5Euros.

Jordan safe? :open_mouth:
Nah I wouldn’t touch her with your’s mate…, I do have standards ya know. :wink: :laughing:

It’s more modern history my thing, than ancient stuff…WW1 and WW2, in particular, which is why I would like to go around Libya,…Tobruk and Alexandria.

Also the Pacifc islands of Iwo Jima and Okinawa,.where there are numerous relics of conflict still there today.
I watch a lot of You Tube on it,.and I particularly enjoyed that BBC drama a few years ago, ‘The Pacific’ which was the Japanese campaign equivalent of ‘Band of Brothers’. I’d love to visit those sites.
Also the River Kwai sites in Thailand.

You mention Greece, we’ve done mainland Greece,.and we loved Crete,.again visiting Souda Bay where the British held out, against Luftwafe air attacks, and the sites where the German Falschrmjaeger Paratroopers landed…a lot of whom are still there .
We spent 2 days around the island on a hired decent powered motorbike…(just wearing t.■■■■■■■ and shorts. :unamused: )
I could bore you all day on this subject. :blush:

Btw I drag my Mrs around these places, but I also do what she wants to do…well at least I’ll find a good bar while she hits the shops. :smiley:

robroy:

Plenty to do, done the jeep safaris as they call them into the countryside,.and the usual boat trips.

Wife got a designer handbag for 20 Euros, (she tells me you can not tell the difference between that and the 200 quid model) and I got a couple pair of Nike Air Force 1s trainers for 25 Euros each. :sunglasses: :smiley:
Told my lads when I got home they were the genuine article :smiley: …I thought they actually knew me. :smiley:

What hotel rob , we’ve been looking at Cyprus but it’s hard to work out what’s good / bad from the reviews ?

You only need a few idiots to spoil a holiday , , some young kid from Scotland turned up with girlfriend , I’d guess he’d had to much to drink on flight / airport , we were on balcony , she walked out , he started to Chuck stuff , shouting ( where’s security when you need it ) so I told him to give it a rest , next there’s banging on our door , I’ve no idea if it was the glass in my hand ( I’d been drinking ) , the rage in my face of my mrs telling him I’m getting security , but he changed just like that , couldn’t stop apologising , got us a drink the following night
Then we had the young girl shouting at bar staff to ■■■■■■■ get me a drink , stop ■■■■■■■ ignoring me , get me a drink
Then we’ve the gay lad telling the giggling girls he wasn’t getting Down on his hands & knees for anyone & he loved a big ■■■■
The hotel / staff were lovely but I’d not recommend ibiza for us older folks , though we went to Benidorm a couple of years ago & 2 old chaps had a punch up on the dance floor , families joined in , cops arrived , again a lovely holiday , but mrs didn’t like it when glass started getting chucked round , though I found it myself more entertaining than the actual entertainment , I guess you’ll
Always get it when fully inclusive is available
Strange how the bad holidays stick in
Your mind rather that the lovely ones

dozy:

robroy:

What hotel rob , we’ve been looking at Cyprus but it’s hard to work out what’s good / bad from the reviews ?

Right doze ok.
,.I’m a bit reluctant to recomend venues and stuff to people because everybody is different with their preferences and standards.
What some like others do not…a bit like cars and women. :smiley:

In fact if you read some of the reviews on trip advisor ,.if I had made a judgement on some of them alone I maybe would not have gone myself tbh :open_mouth: …I am wondering if some of thes people actually stayed in the SAME hotel as me. :open_mouth: .
But some people you could not please if you offered perfection . :unamused:

But seeing as it’s you :laughing: ,…I’ll stick my Gregory out,.and reccomend it to you.
Can not PM you,.so anyhoo… here we gan.
But DON’T blame ME if you have a bad experience and don’t like the gaff,.but we can not fault the place.
(If you do go mention my name to Georgious the restaurant manager. :smiley: )

mayfairhotelgardens.com/