Best Holiday destinations

I’ve always fancied Malta but never been.
The Mrs gets bit of mosquitoes quite bad, so the question is, is Malta mosquitoes safe?.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
I’ve always fancied Malta but never been.
The Mrs gets bit of mosquitoes quite bad, so the question is, is Malta mosquitoes safe?.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

First night in our hotel the bloody air con went off. :unamused:
I opened the balcony window, on waking up next morning, my head (which is shaved) was a mass of mosquito bites.
I counted the bites on my head and body…there was 37 in total :open_mouth:

A trip to local chemist for some anti hystamine, and constantly rubbing antiseptic hand gel into my head,.and germoline on the other bites, did the trick.

I am dark colouring, the wife is blonde and pale skinned, now whether or not that is a connection I don’t know,.but she had no bites at all during that night.

I’ve only been to Malta in September or April, I’ve never noticed an issue with Mozzies there but supposedly they do exist.

I know I’m biased but the worst place in the world to go on holiday must be Cornwall.

It’s not too bad at the moment, but in the next few weeks, the roads will be gridlocked and the locals will go into lockdown until the end of September when they stop coming.

None of us have found the reason yet, but it is extremely rare for a Hollibob Driver to know where his/her/its reverse gear is and if they can actually find it they still struggle to go backwards far enough to reach a passing place.

When they do get into town and out of the car, it only takes 2 of them to completely block the pavement as they meander along rubbernecking, how do they get that big, what the 4Q do they eat ■■

When I choose somewhere to go on holiday, No.1 on my list is somewhere where the Hollibobs who come to Cornwall don’t go.

Anyone who prefers touring I can recommend one or two driving holidays.

Calgary to Jasper, over the Rockies and onto Vancouver Island.

The Skyline Drive on the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia and onto the Finger Lakes in Upper New York.

The Coromandel on the North Island, NZ.

Most places on the South Island, NZ especially the flight on a twelve seater from Queenstown to Milford Sound and the ferry between the North & South Islands for the scenery.

Around the South East Coast of Oz from Melbourne to Adelaide.

Tyneside

robroy:

dozy:

robroy:
I’ll start with Paphos Cyprus, we were there a few weeks ago.
3 times in the same hotel, in 5 years,.all inclusive.

Plenty to do, done the jeep safaris as they call them into the countryside,.and the usual boat trips.

This year we did a day trip to Nicosia which was enjoyable.
Crossed into the Turkish side which was full of the fake contraband goods.
Wife got a designer handbag for 20 Euros, (she tells me you can not tell the difference between that and the 200 quid model) and I got a couple pair of Nike Air Force 1s trainers for 25 Euros each. :sunglasses: :smiley:
Told my lads when I got home they were the genuine article :smiley: …I thought they actually knew me. :smiley:

Fancying Malta next year…anybody been?
My Dad was stationed there in the Navy,.he always said he loved the place.

What hotel rob , we’ve been looking at Cyprus but it’s hard to work out what’s good / bad from the reviews ?

Right doze ok.
,.I’m a bit reluctant to recomend venues and stuff to people because everybody is different with their preferences and standards.
What some like others do not…a bit like cars and women. :smiley:

In fact if you read some of the reviews on trip advisor ,.if I had made a judgement on some of them alone I maybe would not have gone myself tbh :open_mouth: …I am wondering if some of thes people actually stayed in the SAME hotel as me. :open_mouth: .
But some people you could not please if you offered perfection . :unamused:

But seeing as it’s you :laughing: ,…I’ll stick my Gregory out,.and reccomend it to you.
Can not PM you,.so anyhoo… here we gan.
But DON’T blame ME if you have a bad experience and don’t like the gaff,.but we can not fault the place.
(If you do go mention my name to Georgious the restaurant manager. :smiley: )

mayfairhotelgardens.com/

Thanks rob , will have a look at it , I know what you mean , some say the hotel is the best holiday they’ve ever had , others the worst , food the same , it makes you wonder reading the reviews a lot of the time if the people have gone to the same hotel

whisperingsmith:
I know I’m biased but the worst place in the world to go on holiday must be Cornwall.

It’s not too bad at the moment, but in the next few weeks, the roads will be gridlocked and the locals will go into lockdown until the end of September when they stop coming.

None of us have found the reason yet, but it is extremely rare for a Hollibob Driver to know where his/her/its reverse gear is and if they can actually find it they still struggle to go backwards far enough to reach a passing place.

When they do get into town and out of the car, it only takes 2 of them to completely block the pavement as they meander along rubbernecking, how do they get that big, what the 4Q do they eat ■■

When I choose somewhere to go on holiday, No.1 on my list is somewhere where the Hollibobs who come to Cornwall don’t go.

I always did Cornwall through the night , mrs / my girl when she was little would sleep through journey , I’d stop once at Michael wood , did Weymouth this year( mrs saved vouchers / sun holiday / think it cost £69 for 4 nights) , it took ages to get there & back , mrs couldn’t pass a bloody service / cafe without wanting a coffee / cake

Being to a lot of places and what was never ever on my list was new Zealand and Australia never had the slightest interest, loved Australia but what took my breath away was new Zealand
The scenery the colour of the lakes and rivers and the sea, the people and the simple way of life, there is a drive from Melbourne to queenstown that is out of this world, think leaving London and there are no motorways as far as liverpool but your out in the sticks going up and over and down mountains with views that you will never see anywhere in the world, stopping offi at resorts that the first thing you see is the colour of the water pure blue
Wished I experienced it years ago if i did I would have stayed
North Africa and Turkey all they want is what you have and to be you, a experience but not one I would repeat, watching your back all the time, I experienced the bodyguards in north africa with guns and doormen with guns it’s nothing to do with the tourist it’s the people who come from the country’s they border
Turkey all they want is the passport to Europe and most people there believe they should have it (god help us if that ever happens)
I remember going to Bulgaria years ago way before to what it is today and it was a poor country nobody ever said bo to you or bothered you or begged off you, I remember sitting in a bar in a hotel all the hotels and buildings on the seafront were pre historic and this big Mercedes pulls up blocking the entrance and the boys comes in looking for there protection money, the Russian mafia, I asked the barman
Anyway I like everyone else always had a bucket list and my idea was to be different in the way i would implement it meaning I wasn’t waiting till I retired.
I was going to do it before I retired that way if it involved doing something that I would not be able to do at retirement I would be ahead of the plan
It just means planning your time around your dreams be them good or bad but they are your dreams, I mean your in middle 50s and your still going to the canires, that’s ok but you could if you wanted to fulfill one of your bucket lists with a bit of planning
I only have one last bucket list and that’s a simple one I don’t think it was there at the start because it’s a simple one, a cruise
Top of the list was new York, as a tourist to see what you have only seen in films it is a huge experience, I arrived as soon as the filghts started after 9/11, the airfare was 2 for 1,
The memorys of that trip I will never forget like when we arrived the decision was from Newark airport will we get a taxi or bus into the city we went for the bus purely to see the city on the way in
Well it was everything you didn’t want to see, think of what you see in films the bronx and the parts you would never walk through, my heart was in my mouth I thought what the hell have I done.
I knew nobody or nothing about the city except I had a friend back home who gave me a few names
and places to meet these people ( ie just mention my name you will be looked after) what a holiday experience
It has to be the best city in the world, I’m just going from my own experience of travelling my own home city can be the best in the world to at times
Exotic can be anywhere with a beach, your local beach can be that if the conditions are right, it’s the same the world over

Maldives has the most beautiful beaches I’ve been on and Dubai is my wife’s favourite place to have fun and sightsee. We honeymooned to these destinations after we got married in the Philippines and it was a LOT of fun - 7 weeks in 3 hot countries!

New York was quite something with all the skyscrapers - Dominican Republic fun place - France boring - Amsterdam ‘interesting’ - Nordschleife Nurburgring in Germany is THE race track to go on, you are not a real petrolhead unless you’ve been here! - Philippines just beautiful - Hungary interesting.