Best HGV Satnav

Hello all,

Completed my first weeks training on my first class one job and need to invest in a HGV satnav.

Can anyone recommend a good one? A popular one seems to be the Tomtom 6250 professional but there is a small amount of negative reviews putting me off.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have a Garmin DEZL 770 & I can’t fault it. Never let me down in nearly 5 years use. Only thing I would change is to go for a smaller screen size

Snooper truck mate only problem with it is it don’t have live traffic .Ive tried the cheap ones from ebay they are rubbish.

ffs, not again. do a search.

Spinonit:
I have a Garmin DEZL 770 & I can’t fault it. Never let me down in nearly 5 years use. Only thing I would change is to go for a smaller screen size

+1.But i like the big screen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Co-pilot on your iPhone. £8.99 a month. Download the maps and it uses no data, if you want traffic then it uses a small amount of data.

Garmin 785 with built in dash cam or copilot app and used samsung tablet from ebay. Don’t use your main phone / fancy iPad as it will fail (screen burnout from constant use, gps failure from sun heat etc).

pedrosa666:
. Don’t use your main phone / fancy iPad as it will fail (screen burnout from constant use, gps failure from sun heat etc).

Never thought of that! Good thinking batman!

I’m on nights with my screen brightness turned right down though so I shouldn’t have a problem. Something to think about on days though!

tenor.gif

i went down the chinese/ebay XGODY route…and have never regretted it. On facebook is a support group [nozatec] where one enthusiast member has done various upgrades to mine, by post

Google maps, on your phone or tablet. Free. Just buy a truckers road atlas to check your route for bridges and weight limits.

Can anyone tell me if the BC35 reverse camera works well with Garmin 785. Currently putting together a new (new to me) wagon & drag. Rather than having a stand alone satnav, forward and rear facing camera, thinking a one to fit all. Hence one of these Garmin 785 satnavs with the built-in forward facing camera plus adding two rear cameras would be great. However as they are wireless, this will great for setting up but then I’m slightly worried as to how well they might perform.

Cheers… and sorry to the old-timers fed up with sat nav question :wink:

For f!!k sakes, buy a road atlas and don’t waste your money on toys, you are either a driver or you are not, a real driver doesn’t need a sat nav.

Pat Hasler:
For f!!k sakes, buy a road atlas and don’t waste your money on toys, you are either a driver or you are not, a real driver doesn’t need a sat nav.

I know what you’re saying Pat, I mean I genuinely don’t actually NEED a one, I went for years without a one, but if used properly as a guide rather than ‘It that must be obeyed’’ they are a bloody good help.
I would not be without mine now if I’m honest, (basic car one) but I still consult a bridge map.
Only danger with these all singing all dancing too expensive ■■■■ truck things, is that they who use em don’t actually learn routes, try asking one of them the route to ‘wherever’ to prove it.

Pat Hasler:

Well you really are quite a special spoon. Did your mother never tell you “if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all” ?

As it happens I don’t actually use a satnav for finding where I am going. Surprise surprise, after 38yrs behind the wheel I know where I am going…well usually anyway. However I do use them if I suddenly get detoured, up to that safe point where I can pull over to check a map if I’m unsure. Maybe you just pull your map out whilst driving down the road :blush: I also find them useful as a guide to my likely arrival time, maybe if you had just an ounce of intelligence, you might realise that your map from the dark ages does not have current traffic information built into the pages. You might also realise that your map is not updated quite as much as a satnav is.

Finally I could buy a forward facing camera and two rear cameras separately, but maybe you could tell why (if this Garmin actually works without issue) I’d want several screen in the cab rather than one item that could maybe cover all options.

PS Do you still wind you windows with a handle, cancel your own indicator, flick your windscreen wipers manually backwards and forwards, apply your brakes without air assistance, stick you hand in front of your eyes to block out the sun, maybe you sing to yourself rather than switching the radio on…

DBATOM:

Pat Hasler:

Well you really are quite a special spoon. Did your mother never tell you “if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all” ?

As it happens I don’t actually use a satnav for finding where I am going. Surprise surprise, after 38yrs behind the wheel I know where I am going…well usually anyway. However I do use them if I suddenly get detoured, up to that safe point where I can pull over to check a map if I’m unsure. Maybe you just pull your map out whilst driving down the road :blush: I also find them useful as a guide to my likely arrival time, maybe if you had just an ounce of intelligence, you might realise that your map from the dark ages does not have current traffic information built into the pages. You might also realise that your map is not updated quite as much as a satnav is.

Finally I could buy a forward facing camera and two rear cameras separately, but maybe you could tell why (if this Garmin actually works without issue) I’d want several screen in the cab rather than one item that could maybe cover all options.

PS Do you still wind you windows with a handle, cancel your own indicator, flick your windscreen wipers manually backwards and forwards, apply your brakes without air assistance, stick you hand in front of your eyes to block out the sun, maybe you sing to yourself rather than switching the radio on…

Pat sounds like the sort of bloke youd hate to be stuck in a RDC waiting room with.

Back in my day types.

My first week in an artic was terrifyingly, if I didn’t have the confidence in a good truck sat nav I don’t think I’d have left the yard .

And I’d done most the routes in a rigid relying on a car nav for 2 years anyway.

Tomtom for me but check route for traffic on Google which is very accurate. Then decide if you want to go and sit in it for the o/t or plan an alternative :smiley:

Alfa1M:
My first week in an artic was terrifyingly, if I didn’t have the confidence in a good truck sat nav I don’t think I’d have left the yard .

All of the…

Oldies on here did leave the yard without a Satnav because they hadn’t been invented. It is possible to do the job without them

Having just said that, I have Waze running because it does give me traffic, destination times and suggest diversions which a map can’t.

I ‘ve often said on these (numerous :unamused: ) ■■■■ mind numbingly boring ‘Which sat nav’ threads that…
‘‘Half of the ■■■■ s today would be sh. scared to leave the yard without their sat nav’’
I thought I was exaggerating, I didn’t’ think it was actually true! :open_mouth:
Wtf has become of truckers. :unamused:

giphy.gif
:laughing: :laughing:

That’s evolution mate and the world I’ve been brought up in, there’s dicks who wouldn’t leave the yard without one and there’s dicks that follow them under low bridges and unsuitable lanes.

I was chatting to an old bloke one day sheeting down on a flat with rope, I said you not prefer using straps he said nah I’ve got 16 in the locker but I’ve always roped :open_mouth:

That’s like saying I prefer to watch the world cup final in b+w cos that’s how I remember seeing engerland win it.

Spose you oldies would also rather a Foden 12 speed, ditch the bunk and paper charts cos Technologies killed it :exclamation: