Best HGV Satnav

Alfa1M:
That’s evolution mate and the world I’ve been brought up in, there’s dicks who wouldn’t leave the yard without one and there’s dicks that follow them under low bridges and unsuitable lanes.

I was chatting to an old bloke one day sheeting down on a flat with rope, I said you not prefer using straps he said nah I’ve got 16 in the locker but I’ve always roped :open_mouth:

That’s like saying I prefer to watch the world cup final in b+w cos that’s how I remember seeing engerland win it.

B+W?..

We could only listen to it on the radiogram.

luxury we used to live in a shoe box in the middle of the road

If you can’t find your way using one of these then I’m afraid you have no business driving trucks for a living, mate.

Alfa1M:
Spose you oldies would also rather a Foden 12 speed, ditch the bunk and paper charts cos Technologies killed it :exclamation:

Nah not really bud tbh.
I’ve driven all sorts of heaps of ■■■■, and modern trucks are a world apart,
just like driving a bigger car.
I’m one of the few older drivers who like auto boxes for the easiness.
As for sat navs, the ones that do everything for you can lead you into a false sense of security imo, as many totally rely on them, as is evident on here.

A negative side to ‘tech progress’ is a lot of skills once needed have gone out of the job, creating a dumbing down effect, and a passport for thick d/heads to enter the industry…as I’m sure you notice on the road every day, and maybe even on here also. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:

Alfa1M:
That’s evolution mate and the world I’ve been brought up in, there’s dicks who wouldn’t leave the yard without one and there’s dicks that follow them under low bridges and unsuitable lanes.

I was chatting to an old bloke one day sheeting down on a flat with rope, I said you not prefer using straps he said nah I’ve got 16 in the locker but I’ve always roped :open_mouth:

That’s like saying I prefer to watch the world cup final in b+w cos that’s how I remember seeing engerland win it.

B+W?..

We could only listen to it on the radiogram.

luxury we used to live in a shoe box in the middle of the road

We used to dream of living in a shoebox…

when i was a kid i was fortunate enough to get an empty shoe box as a christmas present … my dad told me it was an action man deserter… :open_mouth:

Pat Hasler:
For f!!k sakes, buy a road atlas and don’t waste your money on toys, you are either a driver or you are not, a real driver doesn’t need a sat nav.

These sort of comments make me speak up sometimes, I use a TomTom pro and it is invaluable to me as I do multidrop, and finding some of my destinations in rush hour traffic in and around town centres would be near on impossible without it, I don’t have the time between drops or places to stop to be checking a map multiple times.
I use it alongside having a look on the risk assessment which shows a localised map before I depart for the drop so I have an idea of the location and I then also check all road signs and use the sat nav for reference but never follow it blindly! It is also very helpful at giving u an idea of the road layout ahead.
It’s ok to just use a map if u have a straight forward run or nothing at all if u know the route/area but I feel it is invaluable for giving me a route GUIDANCE [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Cooke:
I don’t have the time between drops or places to stop to be checking a map multiple times.

If you don’t spend at least 2 hours a day planning your drops on a 1995 fold-up map with at least 3 corners missing then you’re not a real driver and you’ll never understand what REAL driving is all about, nor are you a real man for that matter and you ought be ashamed of yourself for taking the easy way out instead of facing the challenges of the profession.

All those new drivers chasing after easy money don’t want to invest any effort or time into bettering themselves then we wonder why the industry is in a breakdown.

Hope you were on cross hammers for those two hours?.. :laughing:

I use a Tom Tom. Has got me to all corners of the country with no real problems and the live traffic and destination times are pretty much spot on. However I do always check the route it takes me before I set of and analyse the roads and double check with google maps as it has nearly got me in some situations a couple of times. Set your bridge height about 2/3inch higher than your trailer and you shouldn’t have the bridge problem though. Might end up a longer route but better a few minutes on to a journey than giving the top of your trailer a trim.

A couple of years of using a sat nav and memorising roads and which town cities they pass through while out on the road is just the same as memorising a hand held map only in a different fashion. Find my knowledge has came on tenfold personally.

Would also say it depends on the work you do. If it’s trunking the same few routes each week then you should save the money but if it’s general haulage or different companies with an agency it’s almost a must in my opinion

ETS:
If you can’t find your way using one of these then I’m afraid you have no business driving trucks for a living, mate.

Pat has one of these mounted on the radiator cap of his Western Star. For more local work he has the maps of the Americas painted on the bonnet :slight_smile:

Basic geographical knowledge , common sense and a map would be good for starters.

Use these when a new drop appears.

Using maps is all well and good and I do still use one but for my job sat nav just makes life so much easier. Yes if you’re only doing one or 2 deliveries to RDC’s a day or do regular routes then yes a map is fine. I do multi drop to some very out of the way places as well as the major house builders.
Having said that I do have to have my wits about me, for instance I’ve just done a pallet to a private house which turned out to be alright but there’s no way I’d have just stuck the postcode in the sat nav and blindly gone for it so I used the map, google maps and street view to make sure I was not going to end up in the ■■■.
Last week I had a private address which I didn’t even bother going to because a wagon n drag was way unsuitable even though sat nav was happy enough to take me there.

So, by all means get a sat nav but for gods sake don’t 100% rely on it because they’re far from perfect.