best food

mushroomman:
Hungarian cheese, :smiley: I have no idea what it’s real name was but it was covered with a red wax like Edam. It was the size of a small football and was ideal for sandwiches as well as cheese on toast and for less than a quid it was a bargain. I always wondered why it was so cheap until a Dutchman told me that it had probably come from the E.U. cheese mountain.
Another thing that we used to buy in Turkey or Greece was a small sack of Satsuma’s or Tangerines that were sold at the side of the road in a kind of net bag. In my opinion Turkey and Greece were the best places for buying fresh produce at the side of the road. :slight_smile:

I too used to buy a bag of oranges and a bag of grapefruit in Turkey on my way home. The oranges were absolutely huge.
It was nice to have a fresh whole grapefruit for breakfast every morning on the way back and still have enough to fill several fruit bowls when I got home.
I got to buying Hungarian wine, especially from the Lake Balaton area, used to call in a local supermarket and buy a few bottles on the way out and a few more on the way home.

Hi Ian, do you remember a Hungarian wine called Merfatla or Bulls Blood :laughing: . At the time I thought that all the Hungarian, Bulgarian and Rumanian wines were cheap and good but it put me off them in the mid eighties when it was announced that all those countries including Austria were adding anti freeze to their wines. :unamused:
It was about this time that the U.K. had a potato shortage for a while and I remember buying ten kilo of spuds in Germany to take back to the U.K.

Regards Steve.