best food

Wot was your best food to take with you on your over sea travels

Tins…Good strong packaging…It wont go “off”…Plenty of variety…Now easy to open with ring-pulls.

Long Life milk, it tasted much better in tea than the watered down powdered stuff or the tinned Carnation milk.

Tesco’s home brand crisps…lasted for months after their use by date… Branstones pickles… something to dip your soggy Tesco crisps into … Cans of Coke… none of the border guards wanted to scrounge any from you, as long as they were warm … and good for washing down your soggy Tesco crisps and Branstone pickles… (the coke… not the border guards )

Twix and Mars Bars not so good as they would easily melt in warmer countries…but Lion bars lasted a bit longer… Flakes not so good either… the little bits used to fall onto your seat, and melt onto your trousers… they still do, so you’re better of with Ripples…

Golden Cup and Munchies were good as well but struggled to get past Dover in my truck…

Bar of soap to rub into your diesel tank if it cracked…

Jeff…

Own eggs ,tins off branston beans & sausage and other tins ,after that it’s 3 courses for €10 or less .

If I Go into England I take twix bars because I don’t know if they sell them there.

They probably do but not deep fried. :wink:

I would always start a journey with any fresh food from home that needed using up to get me started in the first 2 or 3 days. I always took staple stuff like long-life milk, tea, coffee, muesli (for breakfast); and a few tins of more nutritious things like sardines, just in case I got ‘weekended’ in the middle of nowhere.

But my main policy was to buy as I went. That meant that I could always have fresh, unprocessed, nutritious grub. Apart from anything else it was more fun because when you shop for different or slightly unusual foods in other countries you engage with people and other cultures - and perhaps practice a bit of foreign language. Places like Turkey were a gift because there was high quality fresh food to be found very cheaply everywhere. That goes for North Africa and parts of the Middle-East too, where very often you could buy vegetables and fruit from passing horse-and-carts while you were parked up.

Also, if you ‘eat out’ regularly at the plethora of excellent truck stops, Routiers, relais, cafes, restaurants, BBQs and other roadside eateries, you don’t actually need to take much food on the road.

Each to his own, really! Robert :smiley:

OOOOh I almost forgot Tunnocks Tea Cakes and Iun Bru…

I also did much the same as Uncle Bob… eating local on route was always an education and a chance for interaction with the locals… What was/ is the point of having that kind of travel experience if your not going to use it to you advantage… You may as well stay in your own home country and eat fish and chips…

Getting use to the Turks selling eggs in 5’s and 10’s instead of 6’s and 12’s threw me a bit… full and half animal carcases hanging at the side of the road also took a bit of getting used to as well… Open air fish markets… Kaz home bru Vodka in old 20 litre oil drums ( the big yellow ones ) took me a while to work out what they were…
Spicy apple cakes round the Almaty region…
I’m also a bit partial to a bit of roast goat… any one that’s been to North Africa would know… and I still eat a lot of cuscus… Pasta with a bit of sauce and some salad… 5 minutes in a pot of boiling water and your into that… Pees with everything…( not chocolate though )

Jeff…

A jar of marmite has travelled everywhere with me, obviously not the same jar lol

Can’t believe Pot noodle isn’t mentioned…

Gods own food, washed down with a proper cup of tea from the same boiling kettle.

All the ingredients of a healthy diet in a kettle and a little plastic pot !

About six packets of Mr Kipplings individual cakes…used to ration myself to one every half hour… all gone by the time you got into Czech…oh yes and a few tins of John West kippers…boil them in the saucepan no need to get involved with trailer boxes, just open the tin with a tea towel out the window…

All the very best

Mick B

Yes Mick, the John West kippers were always on my shopping list along with the John West herrings which had similar packaging and a ring pull lid. A pot noodle sandwich was often on the menu.

Digestive biscuits :wink: !

" Babies Heads ", no need to even cook them when in warmer clime’s and because of the shape of the tin you never confused them for something else when all the labels or printing were worn off by being rattled about in the trailor box for a week or three…

As for Tubbysboy, i can’t believe Danny that you survived solely on pot noodles / tea and ended up the shape you are mate !!!

Steve…

I used to go to a lot of trouble to eat well. No matter how ■■■■■■ the day had been, most days ended with a good nosh up.
Essentials were:
Powdered egg,(I don’t think you can get it now), as I liked scrambled egg on toast, and made with powdered egg it didn’t stick in the saucepan.
Long life milk to go with my muesli.
A few packs of bacon to last the first week or so.
Packets of trifle mix, used to enjoy sharing sherry trifle with friends while waiting in Falluja customs!, helps if you had a 'fridge in your cab or an ice box under your trailer. First call in Falluja was for a big block of ice,(Thelch), from the ice store.
Tinned potatoes, vegetables and steak, and rice pudding, if the heat was getting to you and you had no appetite, cold rice pudding always went down well.
A few pot noodles just in case time was really short or the trip had lasted longer that planned and you were getting desperate!

Hi bestbooties! I viewed your posted websites, It can contains many informations. That all are very useful to me. Keep in touch with us. Thank you.

Gulashsuppe was one of my favorites; always went well in a camion stew.

ChrisArbon:
Gulashsuppe was one of my favorites; always went well in a camion stew.

Talking of camion stew, if I was ever holed up in the wilderness and had recourse to tins of stew or mince, I always kept things like fresh onions, garlic and spuds to chuck in and give it a more ‘real’ feel - worked every time! Robert :smiley:

The infamous Curried Camion Stew as prepared by Jeff Ruggins was well known, others supplied the main ingredients and Jeff would add the curry, tasting it until it was “Just right!”.
I remember Tony Khan finding it too hot!