best food

Ruggins,the poor mans Gordon Ramsey :laughing:

Here is a recipe for a 3 man/6 tin camion stew.

1 tin Meatballs in gravy.
1 tin Gulaschsuppe.
1 tin Baked beans.
1 tin Baby new potatoes
1 tin Spaghetti rings.
1 tin Morton peas.

Empty all tins into a large saucepan and bring to the boil over a fierce flame. Stir. Meal is ready when it bubbles, splatters and makes a mess. Serve in a bowl with thick slices of fresh local bread. Treat burnt mouth and tongue with cold beer.

ChrisArbon:
Here is a recipe for a 3 man/6 tin camion stew.

1 tin Meatballs in gravy.
1 tin Gulaschsuppe.
1 tin Baked beans.
1 tin Baby new potatoes
1 tin Spaghetti rings.
1 tin Morton peas.

Empty all tins into a large saucepan and bring to the boil over a fierce flame. Stir. Meal is ready when it bubbles, splatters and makes a mess. Serve in a bowl with thick slices of fresh local bread. Treat burnt mouth and tongue with cold beer.

Thatā€™s a very good summary of camion stew, complete with the treatment - though a good mug of Rioja functions just as well! Robert :laughing:

Always thought the ā€œbest foodā€ was a full roast dinner either just before shipping out or when you got back home although had some very nice dining during my ventures abroad, Buzzer.

All good food mentioned,
i would try differnt things ,i kept cold porridge ,made a flat bread out of it in a dry frying pan to go with the stew like dumpling ,spain was the abundance of fresh veg,in fact all eec countries ,were good food shops, i do not know about Turkey or beyond as i never went thereā€¦ ,most times we were stuck at abattoirs ,so at least half a dayā€¦ in fact the days meal for me was a type of pressure relise,chill and forgetā€¦sad i know but i would plan my next cook up in my head and where it would be, preferable out of site of many of the scroungers that would just roll up as you were busy .mind you ,you got to know them or their firmsā€¦It was very rare if you got any meat from your deliverā€¦maybe a bit of scrag -end ok for the pressure cooker.

You have all heard the story of the driver getting in the back of his fridge and cutting a piece of fillet beef out of a side of beef, it is the biggest load of old tosh ,ā€œit never happenedā€, it would be like opening your engine bonnet and someone has taken the radiator offā€¦i never went hungry,and if i used any restaurant for parking i would pay for parking and not eat in,[even cariso]ā€¦ I expect all the new lorries out now use microwave ,how sad.not having that old garlic smell with you all day. food nostalgia.

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: All this chat about Alfresco dining, reminds me.

Having parked up in the Londra Camping and deciding on dining at home, I invited a few drivers over for dinner under the lights of the trailer box as you do.
Before shipping out (as you did) a ā€œbig shopā€ at Sainsburyā€™s was conducted and Ā£50.00 worth of assorted goodies, mostly tinned stuff and long life milk, was purchased.
On reaching in to the depths of said trailer box in search of all the required tins needed for a proper camion stew, a rogue tin was foundā€¦to my horror closer inspection revealed it was in fact, a tin of Whiskers cat food. I would like to point out we did have two cats at home at the time. Total co#k up on the loading of trailer box provisions. By now, a few fellow dining guests had arrived with their chairs, The worst thing you can do in a situation like this with all your assembled guests is, to try and hide such an obvious mistakeā€¦try to explainā€¦ Never got asked if I was cooking againā€¦

all the very best.

Mick B

I like that idea Mick, it would get rid of any unwelcome guests, a Whiskas label off an old can covering a tin of mince.

I used to have a cat and my mateā€™s little girl used to come over the fence (he lived behind me) to play with the cat, which as you can imagine did not impress the cat much. To lure it out of its hiding place I would feed it and one time I opened a can of tuna, put some in the cat bowl and ate the rest myself, the look on her faceā€¦

deckboypeggy:
All good food mentioned,
You have all heard the story of the driver getting in the back of his fridge and cutting a piece of fillet beef out of a side of beef, it is the biggest load of old tosh ,ā€œit never happenedā€, food nostalgia.

Hi Peggy, not quite a fillet steak story but you have just reminded me of a time when I broke down in West Germany for a couple of hours in the early eighties. :smiley: After leaving the Czechoslovakian border at Rosvadov at 10 p.m. on a Sunday night after the West German driving ban had finished, I decided to park up at Weiskirchen Services near Frankfurt on my way home. It was about 4 a.m. when I was about 10 kā€™s from the services when I heard what sounded like a very loud crack, some thing sounding like a bull whip. I wound the window down and started listening a bit more carefully but as usual nothing happened until I was about 2 klmā€™s from the services and then I heard a loud crack again. My first thoughts were that for some reason a tilt board had snapped inside the trailer so after parking up for the night I had a walk round the tilt and nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary and so I decided to hit the sack and have my eight hours off but I think that I must of lay there for a while wondering what that noise could of been.
When I woke up at about lunch time on the Monday I once again paid attention to the tilt to see if any of the boards had fallen out and every thing seemed O.K. until I came to kick the tyres because I noticed that on the drivers front wheel there was a trickle of oil coming from the oil seal which wasnā€™t there the day before.
I jacked the wheel up to see if there was any play on it and I thought the oil seal was defiantly leaking but it did then cross my mind what condition the wheel bearing was in. :frowning: . As I looked across the autobahn I saw one of Moorlockā€™s fridges from Stoke-on -Trent going the other way and he gave me a friendly toot on the horn.
After phoning our office in Stockport they told me that they would get M.A.N. in Frankfurt out to me as soon as possible and to just sit with the motor. M.A.N. were there within half an hour by which time I had taken the wheel off but as I suspected it turned out also to be the bearing.
While the fitter was doing the job the same Moorlockā€™s driver parked along side me just as my kettle had boiled so I told him to get his cup if he wanted a brew. He said that he had seen the Dow truck earlier on the way to his last drop and wondered if it was his old mate Alan Morrey who used to work for Thor. I thought that I would be cheeky and asked I donā€™t suppose that you have got any spare bacon have you :laughing:. He said no as he only had a load of hanging lambs on but he could let me have a couple of kidneys. He climbed into the back of his trailer, took out his pen knife and started to do a bit of butchery from the inside of the carcass. After he had driven off I took out ye old frying pan and with the aid of a onion and some Cadburyā€™s Smash I had myself a fairly decent feed. :wink:

Homeward bound after a particularly extended trip and desperately running short of supplies, I came through Ipsala from Turkey into Greece to find a long queue of trucks eastbound.
I saw an owner driver mate and pulled alongside for a quick sitrep, and hearing I was short of supplies, he rummaged in his fridge and gave me a couple of packs of bacon!
Still had some ekmek and eggs, so at the first opportunity got parked up and had the best bacon and eggs ever!
Again, an aspect of the job you wont find today, you help your mates, that is any other trucker!

Hi Mushrooman yes a couple of kidneys would not have been seen when unloading as the lamb carcass is fairly closed up.when lambs are slaughtered the vets tell if it was under stress by the blood vessels around the kidney fat.funny enough i was in sydney christmas 1963/4 and had pork chops with kidney in for Breakfast with a family i did not know and a daughter i wanted to knowā€¦very good daysā€¦

Did you ever buy any food to take home from your trips over the water,keith

Yes, salamis, sausages and hams, from Italy and Spain, I also picked up balsamic vinegar and olive oil a few times from places I loaded at.

Other than that anything I brought back was from the duty free on the boat.

I had girlfriend who had once worked as a shepherdess. I used to bring back sheepā€™s cheese for her from central Spain. Very hard, but tasty.

I love cheese, but for some reason any cheese from a goat, sheep or whatever just seems weird to me, Iā€™m probably missing out on some gastronomic delights, but I canā€™t quite get my head around it.

NO i did not bring any food back at all as most of the pork or lamb originally was from uk.lots of the ham legs used to hang out to dry,outside on the roof joists in villages over the "tirueul "that dropped down to sugunto,. then on a bar top, sliced to order like "prouchto"hamā€¦back then the M.AF.F would not have liked it if the customs found hams in your cab from abroad,maybe later on they relented i do not know, but in the 1980s early 90s they would have reported you.if you were fridge drivers.maybe the odd tray of nectarines ,peaches or a few grapes ,but not a lot just for your self.

That was the time I was bringing hams etc back! It wasnā€™t a weekly thing, once in a blue moon, but I never had any grief at Customs over it, canā€™t ever remember having a conversation with them about it.

Obviously it wasnā€™t laying on the dash or the bunk in plain view, not in an attempt to conceal it, just because I like a tidy cab.

M&C steve:
" Babies Heads ", no need to even cook them when in warmer climeā€™s and because of the shape of the tin you never confused them for something else when all the labels or printing were worn off by being rattled about in the trailor box for a week or threeā€¦

As for Tubbysboy, i canā€™t believe Danny that you survived solely on pot noodles / tea and ended up the shape you are mate !!!

Steveā€¦

Thanks for your kind words Steve, yes itā€™s a wonder of modern science how I achieved such a trim frame while munching gods own food, mainly on the wing,

I do recall having hotdog sausages boiled on a stove while caning the arse out of the strato through France, with me ā€œco driverā€ shouting about the bumps on the roadā€¦ He never split his Jonny walker mind youā€¦ And also took great pleasure tipping the brine out of the window.

Donā€™t know what happened there Iā€™ll try again

Jeffā€¦

I used to get a lot of stuff over the water, but I donā€™t think any ever got backā€¦ Spicy apple cake from the Almaty regionā€¦I bought about 10 quids worth oneā€¦ and that was a lotā€¦ I was a bit sick of them by the time I got back to the Russian border but the kontrol guards with the ridiculously big hats were pretty grateful for themā€¦ Also those Italian cakes that cone on the blue and gold boxesā€¦ nice with carnation milkā€¦ some of the shashliks in Russia were topsā€¦ but they didnā€™t get far eitherā€¦some of the Italian Ice cream was a bit hit and missā€¦ some good places up around Udineā€¦Rome area tended to be a bit wateryā€¦ farther south Trento very creamy but not much fruit flavour going onā€¦

Roast or BBQ goat in Tunisia YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM Chicken corn and Cuscus YUMMMMMMMMMMM

Jeffā€¦

Hungarian cheese, :smiley: I have no idea what itā€™s real name was but it was covered with a red wax like Edam. It was the size of a small football and was ideal for sandwiches as well as cheese on toast and for less than a quid it was a bargain. I always wondered why it was so cheap until a Dutchman told me that it had probably come from the E.U. cheese mountain.
Another thing that we used to buy in Turkey or Greece was a small sack of Satsumaā€™s or Tangerines that were sold at the side of the road in a kind of net bag. In my opinion Turkey and Greece were the best places for buying fresh produce at the side of the road. :slight_smile: