Rikki,
Many thanks for the info
Brian

OMG!

Sad day…

Dratsabasti…It really is… when you know what his user name meant

Goodnight sleep tight…

bloodoodle:
The Professional Drivers Foundation ( the Charitable arm of the PDA ) are in touch with Andy’s family and have been since Friday.
Sadly on this occasion the only thing we could do was be available last night for them to ask us to let everyone know of Andy’s death.

One thing I would like to mention is that it took 24 hours for the Police to trace Andy’s next of kin because no records were kept, appaerently by his Employers.
This has turned out to 24 hours less his family have had to spend time with him.
.I’m going into work on Monday and will ask the question, and insist some records are kept if they are not already.

I think you should all do so too.

Andy left a son aged 18 and a daughter aged 16, and his ex wife is ringing me tomorrow to let me know details of the funeral.
I will post them on here.

Pat

Well done Pat, this info is an important lesson that we should all learn from. Maybe we should wear dog tags! Crazy! But is it really?

VERY sad news indeed…its never nice hearing about people dying especially in our profession…as has been said before,“It could happen to any of us”

Rest in Peace Andy…condolonces to the family he leaves behind. :cry: :cry:

This has truly upset me. I didn’t know Andy personally but from what people have said and from reading his posts he seemed like a really nice fella. Why do all the good ones get taken first? It just brings it home how it could happen to any of us at anytime.

My condolences to his family

Rest in Peace Andy, may your journey to heaven be a safe one

RIP andy

That’s awful news, it really is.

My condolences to his family.

Copied from the condolences thread.

bigmatt2806:
RIKKI, it wont let me leave a reply on the other discussion thread, and not sure this is right place so if not please move it and pm me, but as a fellow driver and lincolnshire lad, id be more than willing to make a donation if anything was set up to either be given in his memory or to help the family, im sure many other drivers and members on here would , if only a £5 a piece say.

granthamjournal.co.uk/news/D … 4865289.jp

Our thoughts are with his ex wife and two children.

Just so you all know , I am not ignoring your comments about floral tributes etc. At this time Pat from the PDA is in contact with Andy’s family and to ensure we dont add to the stressful time the family is going through we are asking Pat as point of contact to let us know what the family themselves feel is appropriate.

If the family feel floral tributes are appropriate one will be sent on behalf of all the members and staff here at TruckNet UK, if they feel a donation to a cause is more appropriate then a donation will be made from us, and we will also let all you guys know.

Rikki-UK:
If the family feel floral tributes are appropriate one will be sent on behalf of all the members and staff here at TruckNet UK, if they feel a donation to a cause is more appropriate then a donation will be made from us, and we will also let all you guys know.

Thank you Rikki

bloodoodle:
One thing I would like to mention is that it took 24 hours for the Police to trace Andy’s next of kin because no records were kept, appaerently by his Employers.
Pat

At risk of raising the subject too early after the event but, quite frankly, I am astonished that his next of kin could not be contacted more expeditiously. If we accept that no records were kept, then the company need a visit from VOSA. If the records were there, but not accessible, because of some Data Protection crap, then someone needs their arse kicking, big time.

Did the duty staff at the depot not know which was his car where and where it was parked?

Did not other drivers/employees not know (roughly) where he lived?

It’s not as though he had a common surname. With that name, I could have made a phone call and got back a selection from the National Electoral Roll within about ten minutes. Alright, we’ve have both been required to answer questions later but…sod that. I can take the flak, as can the people who trust my judgement. :wink:

In fact, if I were to look through my Savebox, then I’ve probably got his home number somewhere in there.

A Data Protection fax to BT would have returned an address within an hour or so.

Whilst it is easy, and justified, to blame the company, there were many other routes that could have been pursued. To say the least, I’m embarrassed, and also, angered, by the lack of (current) expertise that resulted in this situation.

Krankee

I dont think anyone is blaming the company here, or any individual. peoples circumstances change over time, and to be honest updating the records held by my employers has until now never been something I havent even thought about.

ICE is something that i will be doing, and after speaking to Will at T&D the need to ensure that contact details are up to date will be highlighted in the magazine.

At the end of the day it is our own responsibilty to ensure these details are current, but real life means so many other things take priority that it gets forgotten until incidents like this.

Rikki-UK:
I dont think anyone is blaming the company here, or any individual. peoples circumstances change over time, and to be honest updating the records held by my employers has until now never been something I havent even thought about.

At the end of the day it is our own responsibilty to ensure these details are current, but real life means so many other things take priority that it gets forgotten until incidents like this.

In a roundabout way the employer has a duty to at least know the current address of a driver as (I think I’m correct in saying that) they’re obliged to check your driving licence every few months and your current home address would normally be on that.

Paul

RIP Andy

repton:

Rikki-UK:

In a roundabout way the employer has a duty to at least know the current address of a driver as (I think I’m correct in saying that) they’re obliged to check your driving licence every few months and your current home address would normally be on that.

Paul

my company does that every 6 months for insurance reasons.

Having just come off the phone to his Ex wife after almost an hour, I can tell you that her and Philip and Becca are getting great comfort from the threads on ALL the forums and are heartened to know that Andy had so many friends.

They have asked me to let The other forums know about the funeral arrangements as soon as they are confirmd and I will do this.

One thing that is confirmed already is that everyone is welcome and IN TRUCKS if possible.

Time and date, flowers or donations to be confirmed later.

As for contact details Andy lived alone, and now may not be the time to berate anyone about what can be a lesson learned for us all. I have ensured that all of Brett’s drivers next of kin details will be updated this week, if we all do that and Truck & Driver publicise it too, then a lesson will have been learned.
Time to cast accusations after the funeral Krankee, because believe me, I’m just as angry as you about it :wink:

But for now just let’s go 'softly softly and remember the family are reading your comments and are heartened so much by how many friends Andy had.

Pat

Pat

Terrible news my thoughts are with his family

Have been reading the forums for a while & whilst not posted before - just felt the need to now…

I passed this incident in the afternoon on the day - emergency services had all left the scene, just one of Bentons service vans and of course Andy’s truck still in situ…

Whilst i am a class one holder (C+E - or whatever…) & come from a family of HGV drivers - i am involved on the rental side & travel all over UK in the luxury of a company car (not sales i might add!!!) - i still have great respect for the guys & girls that do the job - & seeing the aftermath of any accident - especially whilst just trying to earn a living - saddens me greatly.

Without going into graphic detail - Andy’s truck was unfortunate enough to hit what was probably the biggest tree just off the side of the road - the tree did not give way…

My sincere condolences to all who knew him.

Rest in peace andy may you be driving a white charriot in heaven