benefits

In conversations I would like to come across as a fair minded balanced contributor but when debating Brexit I can’t think of any advantages displayed so far. Can anyone suggest any such benefits? This is not a troll, just a straitforward request and I’m not looking for,“I told you so…”

3 weeks in after the biggest seachange in our trading relationship is probably not the best time to make an honest assessment.
For all the scare stories there are positives.
I’m happy that the UK now has complete control over all areas of policy.

For me the character of the EU is best summed up by the latest row over vaccines.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It will prevent further downward pressure on UK wages when the eu expands into ever poorer countries, Albania, Ukraine, Moldova etc.

Monkey241:
For all the scare stories there are positives.

That was what he was asking for…

Monkey241:
For me the character of the EU is best summed up by the latest row over vaccines.

Looking after members of the EU interests?

Harry Monk:
It will prevent further downward pressure on UK wages when the eu expands into ever poorer countries, Albania, Ukraine, Moldova etc.

The government are tabling motions to scrap the 48HR week limit, and also a bunch of worker protections, such as making it easier to hire and fire.

Far too early to comment on the benefits right now. When free movement of EU citizens shows results and when the points based system to stop any old rubbish coming here from the rest of the globe begin to yield facts and figures then that will be the best time to make comparisons as to benefits or not.

If as a result there are not enough EU citizens to chop sprouts and turnips then we will just have to get used to eating less of them. Personally speaking, less sprouts and turnips = 2 benefits.

Darkside:

Monkey241:

Looking after members of the EU interests?

No. Throwing their toys out the pram and basically saying “■■■■ you, give us them all and the rest of you can wait”

adam277 raises a good point, AstraZeneca says the reason the UK doesn’t have the same supply problem as Europe right now is because we signed our contract with them 3 months before the EU.

Yet Labour keep saying the PM keeps failing during the pandemic.

mrginge:
Yet Labour keep saying the PM keeps failing during the pandemic.

Oh, he 100% is.
Not closing borders earlier like New Zealand, Taiwan, Australia.
Eat out to help out scheme completely stupid.
Tier System completely stupid.
Re-opening schools for one day only to close them completely stupid.
Letting universities take students into university halls by promising them ‘blended’ learning. Only to stop all in person teaching.

Feel free to add more. Frankly the list is very long.

Other Benefits:
Scotland, Wales & hopefully Cornwall, likely to be independant soon.
Re-unification of Ireland.

Proposed ending of WTD so all UK workers will have the freedom to work the same hours as UK truckers

A74 Quieter ■■

Cheaper UK caught fish & seafood
Cheaper Lamb and Beef

The truth is it is all BS.

Being part of the EU is just as bad as being apart of it.
People will benefit and lose out from Brexit.
Just as people benefited and lost out from being apart of the EU.

By all means someone prepare a tally chart and count it all up. Doesn’t matter regardless.

My main reason for voting out was looking into the future. The EU is going to keep on expanding and it won’t be the rich countries that will join like Norway, Switzerland or Iceland. It will also become more integrated, so in 10-15 years time even the most ardent remainers of today might even think about getting out and how much harder will it be then? Maybe we done the right thing by leaving while we could.

Makes me smile, remoaners always ask what the benefits of brexit are , as if it’s not been said already but never say what the benefit for staying in are. If they do it’s only what they want nothing that is of use to others.

It looks like the EU are trying to make Astra Zeneca divert vaccine produced in the UK, and contracted for delivery in the UK, to themselves while at the same time prevent vaccines which are being produced in Europe for being delivered to any non EU member. All this before they have even approved its use. In addition the EU has ordered five times the number of vaccines it could possibly need but delayed in signing contracts in order to secure the best possible price.

Naturally A/Z should be ensuring that vaccine is delivered from UK facilities to the poorest countries at the same time as supplies are allocated to the UK.

Yet again the EU are trying bully-boy tactics to cover up their chaotic decision making processes. It proves yet again that decisions taken by committee (EU) are usually incorrect and this time it is biting them in the arse. We are well out of it. If we had still been in the EU last year we would have been prevented almost certainly from negotiating our own contract since it would have contravened some (imaginary) rule they would have dreamt up.

politico.eu/article/astraze … ommitment/

politico.eu/article/astraze … g-with-eu/

theguardian.com/commentisfr … strazeneca

> Optimum:
> In conversations I would like to come across as a fair-minded balanced contributor but when debating Brexit I can’t think of any advantages displayed so far. Can anyone suggest any such benefits? This is not a troll, just a straightforward request and I’m not looking for, “I told you so…”

Don’t think you’ll have much luck in finding any benefits, the best you’ll get is being accused of being a remoaner for pointing out the truth.

So Far You Have:

Harry the Narrow Boat : It will prevent further downward pressure on UK wages

YET: We know (As Darkside says) the current UKIP/Tory Govt are looking to scrap the 48HR week limit, and also a bunch of worker protections, such as making it easier to hire and fire or lower wages

adam277: Being part of the EU is just as bad as being apart of it.

Not so far according to all the Evidence

GORDON 50: The EU is going to keep on expanding and it won’t be the rich countries that will join like Norway, Switzerland or Iceland. It will also become more integrated.

So just fear of the future & exactly who??

PLUS “it won’t be the rich countries that will join” NO it will be poverty-stricken countries like England that have been asset stripped by the UKIP/Tories

Harry Monk:

i should point out that the UK always had a veto that could have been used to stop any of that list joining, as does every other EU country

and in 2018 there were 248,000 non EU citizens migrating to the UK as against only 74,000 EU citizens Migration Statistics Quarterly Report - Office for National Statistics

whisperingsmith:
Other Benefits:
Scotland, Wales & hopefully Cornwall, likely to be independant soon.
Re-unification of Ireland.

Proposed ending of WTD so all UK workers will have the freedom to work the same hours as UK truckers

A74 Quieter ■■

Cheaper UK caught fish & seafood
Cheaper Lamb and Beef

If you think that the German economy minister will be more sympathetic to the plight of norther irish, scotish, welsh and cornish people, than the Chancellor of the Exchequer, ask the greek citizens how good was the treatment they were given by the germans when it came to it.
Also in convincing the ulsterman that unification is a good idea, explain to him first that he will have also the public services, social benefits and taxation of the republic of today

Optimum:
In conversations I would like to come across as a fair minded balanced contributor but when debating Brexit I can’t think of any advantages displayed so far. Can anyone suggest any such benefits? This is not a troll, just a straitforward request and I’m not looking for,“I told you so…”

The UK was the first country to approve a vaccine in the world, and start vaccination. If still inside the EU it would have been ■■■■■■■ as a member state waiting for EU approval and vaccination schedule.
Just one example of how being the capitain of your own ship matters in constitutional issues.
Also 100% authority means 100% responsibly. The two sides of the same coin. Something that women will always reject.

> osark:
> The UK was the first country to approve a vaccine in the world, and start vaccination. If still inside the EU it would have been ■■■■■■■ as a member state waiting for EU approval and vaccination schedule.

The UK approved the Vaccine 3 months ago - when it was still part of the EU, as a sovereign country (as are all EU countries) it was free to sign the contract.

The EU approached it much more as team players - for better or for worse.

BUT, I have to say the UK needs the vaccine far more urgently due to Johnson’s Govts abysmal handling of COVID where profit (PPE, Test & Trace + Many Other Contracts) took precedence over looking after the population.

> osark:
> ask the greek citizens how good was the treatment they were given by the germans when it came to it.

I have asked that question, over a few years, as I spend about 2 months a year in Greece, mainly Cyclades & Dodacenese and whilst they have some questions over the German approach all of those that I have met & got to know well are virtually all Pro-EU.

It’s a people thing (something all the diverse Nationalities learn’t on ME runs) rather than a political thing.
On Holocaust Memorial Day it’s a sobering thought that the Brexit Campaign & The UKIP/Tory Govt used/are using the same divide & hate & Rule that Adolf used to create his ■■■■■■■■■■■, not that long ago.