Benefits of having Light Bars?

Hi there to all i was wanting to find out if there is any benefit to having light bars apart from the bling?

Reason i ask is that i have approached my boss to get a roof bar and a lo bar from spot on bars, he has told me that we will talk about it in the new year after the break. so its not a yes and not a no answer from him.

my supervisor reckons he will ask me what and why do i want them and what will the truck benefit from them? safety etc…

so i would really appreciated any help/sugestions

thanks

bling pure and simple…no other reason for them…if you need extra lights to see where you are going you are going too fast.

If you do alot of driving at dark off the main roads definatly worth it (I have a couple on my car for this reason :blush:) but the 4 big Hella’s on the roof of the day cabbed rigid I drive at work have came in handy twice in the last 4 years so in that case I’d say not worth it

I have them on my truck and find they do not provide that much extra visability on forest roads at night, when you get stuck the bottom light bar on a Volvo has to come off everytime as the towing pin fits into the hole where the light bar mount goes :unamused:

xamtex:
bling pure and simple…no other reason for them…if you need extra lights to see where you are going you are going too fast.

You’ve not done Welsh country lanes then?

Trust me a set of spots come in very handy when you’re in the backside of nowhere trying to find a farm entrance; FYI they don’t generally have a bloody great big sign outside saying “Goods Inwards”. :wink:

Unless you absolutely need em.
Adding light bars and other bling will make the already crap aerodynamics of the truck you drive, even worse, and by adding the bling you will lower the fuel consumtion figures (MPG) so it will cost the boss more in fuel to run his truck

I’m not really one for blinged up trucks, but I’ve found extra lights great for working in places that are as dark as a dark thing, but get strown with things that’ll ruin you day if you hit them or run over them, farm yards spring to mind.

bubsy06:
I have them on my truck and find they do not provide that much extra visability on forest roads at night, when you get stuck the bottom light bar on a Volvo has to come off everytime as the towing pin fits into the hole where the light bar mount goes :unamused:

Climb up and adjust them to where they do benifit you

have to say I was in the ‘what a load of useless bling carp’ camp until I was on a minor A road the other morning when I found myself wishing I had some lights up top, pointless on m’ways and trunk roads though.

Forget the lights. Ask for a payrise :slight_smile:

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Never really understood the reason for the low mounted ones,although I found the two crappy roof spots I had on one lorry I inherited to be quite useful.

pete904ni:

bubsy06:

How are they going to benefit me more :confused:
What am I going to see that I cant see with just 2 lights?

pete904ni:

bubsy06:

Thats either a high towing pin or hes a shortarse :confused:

Sir +:
Never really understood the reason for the low mounted ones,although I found the two crappy roof spots I had on one lorry I inherited to be quite useful.

the low mounted ones improve visibility greatly in fog, snow and rain, when the rooftop spots are pretty useless. Unfortunately they will usually break the 16.5m length limit. I’ve had plenty of use from my 4 roof-mounted spots in rural scandinavia but considering the forementioned extra fuel usage, I wouldn’t buy them if I didn’t have them already. bi-xenon should be plenty and scania offers a xenon conversion for the two factory mounted spots above the windscreen, if that’s not enough.

I always thought they were for bling/show and although does enhance the appearence of the truck i did,nt think they served any use really, after saying that my new truck, new to me anyway already had the roof light bar fitted, and as i deliver to alot of farms and drive majority country lanes I have found them very usefull indeed, but then again if only motorway driving cant see any benefit…

[quote="bubsy06"How are they going to benefit me more :confused:
What am I going to see that I cant see with just 2 lights? end[/quote]
Your standard headlights are about 6 feet below where your eyes are when driving a lorry so as you approach the brow of a hill the lights light up less distance than your eyeline can see. If you have lights above you they will light up everything within your eyeline and more. If you do a lot of driving on roads with a lot of hills etc then they will help you see further.

The downside is that they will also dazzle oncoming drivers before you see them so you have to be considerate when using them.

schrodingers cat:
[quote=“bubsy06”

What am I going to see that I cant see with just 2 lights? [

Your standard headlights are about 6 feet below where your eyes are when driving a lorry so as you approach the brow of a hill the lights light up less distance than your eyeline can see. If you have lights above you they will light up everything within your eyeline and more. If you do a lot of driving on roads with a lot of hills etc then they will help you see further.

The downside is that they will also dazzle oncoming drivers before you see them so you have to be considerate when using them.

How far do you need to see ahead? is the braking distance on your truck that bad?

bubsy06:

schrodingers cat:
[quote=“bubsy06”

How far do you need to see ahead? is the braking distance on your truck that bad?

As far as possible is good but its not down to distance.
When you come up to the sharp brow of a hill on a minor road you can end up with total blackness as little as 6 foot in front of you. If you want to slow down to walking pace to be able to see thats up to you, but a high set of spots will help you drive more safely and save fuel by not having to slow down quite as much as if you didn’t have them.

dle1uk:
I always thought they were for bling/show and although does enhance the appearence of the truck i did,nt think they served any use really, after saying that my new truck, new to me anyway already had the roof light bar fitted, and as i deliver to alot of farms and drive majority country lanes I have found them very usefull indeed,

but then again if only motorway driving cant see any benefit…

Please tell me this a wind up ?

schrodingers cat:

bubsy06:

schrodingers cat:
[quote=“bubsy06”

As far as possible is good.

Why?
Have you ever had an incident whilst driving that was caused by not being able to see further than 500yds+