Bell lines newport

pete 359:
sorry guys! i seem to be making a pigs ear of this!

Does it hurt much when you get your hand trapped between a container and a twistlock? :laughing:

I was just remembering some things from the Bell line days. I don’t want to hijack Chalkies thread but most of my memories are from Teesport.
Does anyone remember Firmans transport from Middlesborough who ran all those ancient Volvo F10’s. They were the original flat roof models and were painted in the colour of a Bell line container and were all dog rough.
There was the gorgeous Angela and Gillian who handed out the work at Teesport where drivers had to queue up at that horrible little window to get jobs allocated to them. Usually a Manchester/Liverpool or if you were lucky a West Midlands. Somewhere around W Yorks if you were not. The only thing worse was a day on “locals” which was a delivery/collection in the north east.
Some of the staff/dockers seemed to despise drivers for some reason and none more so than those miserable gatehouse men. There was one called Maurice who seemed to totally resent your presence at the gatehouse at all and if you needed to ask the guy for any collection forms or seals it was as if you were trying to take some kind of outrageous liberty with him.
The controller on the tannoy system was even worse and seemed to consider that his position gave him Demi-god status.
Some aspects were good though. The social life was good with loads of nights out at Redcar seafront and Cannon park, Middlesborough. Also to be fair, the work was really easy. Probably the easiest job i have ever had and ever will have.

stuart young transport stroud glos used to subbie for bell line till they went belly up nearly broke him but a true grafter he his managed to turn things around

wire:
I was just remembering some things from the Bell line days. I don’t want to hijack Chalkies thread but most of my memories are from Teesport.
Does anyone remember Firmans transport from Middlesborough who ran all those ancient Volvo F10’s. They were the original flat roof models and were painted in the colour of a Bell line container and were all dog rough.
There was the gorgeous Angela and Gillian who handed out the work at Teesport where drivers had to queue up at that horrible little window to get jobs allocated to them. Usually a Manchester/Liverpool or if you were lucky a West Midlands. Somewhere around W Yorks if you were not. The only thing worse was a day on “locals” which was a delivery/collection in the north east.
Some of the staff/dockers seemed to despise drivers for some reason and none more so than those miserable gatehouse men. There was one called Maurice who seemed to totally resent your presence at the gatehouse at all and if you needed to ask the guy for any collection forms or seals it was as if you were trying to take some kind of outrageous liberty with him.
The controller on the tannoy system was even worse and seemed to consider that his position gave him Demi-god status.
Some aspects were good though. The social life was good with loads of nights out at Redcar seafront and Cannon park, Middlesborough. Also to be fair, the work was really easy. Probably the easiest job i have ever had and ever will have.

there was a firm in newport that run tatty f88’s painted in bell line colours i think they were john stephens motors…
no probs wire, welcome any lads from teesport or harwich ipswich or even waterford if theres any irish lads on here… all feedback and pics from any bell line terminal would be great…

i know its not newport this was outof bell lines dublin

paul mc:
i know its not newport this was outof bell lines dublin

thanks paul nice to see the irish lads here.

HERE 2 MORE OF FLAHERTY,S HINOS
THEY NOW RUN ONE OF THE SMARTEST SCANIAS FLEETS IN IRELAND

havnt seen a post on here for a while just wondering have any of the new lads on here have some pics…

In the 80,s worked for a company called Baxter Healthcare in Warrington Cheshire we got a lot of stuff with B+I then mid 80s the work then went to Bell Lines it all came from Castlebar S.Irlande, not sure about the guys name but i think it was John Waddington had a couple of DAF,s ran from newport to us, am i right with the name ■■?

Boatchaser:
In the 80,s worked for a company called Baxter Healthcare in Warrington Cheshire we got a lot of stuff with B+I then mid 80s the work then went to Bell Lines it all came from Castlebar S.Irlande, not sure about the guys name but i think it was John Waddington had a couple of DAF,s ran from newport to us, am i right with the name ■■?

think the name was john wallington but hey not far out… think they were orange in colour??

chalkie wales:

Boatchaser:

think the name was john wallington but hey not far out… think they were orange in colour??

Yes i think your right its long time ago, what happen to him, I,m sure he drove one of them he seamed a nice guy. Not the same thread but what happen to foleys who pulled for B+I they disappered something to do with Charter Roadways or what

Boatchaser:

chalkie wales:

Boatchaser:

Yes i think your right its long time ago, what happen to him, I,m sure he drove one of them he seamed a nice guy. Not the same thread but what happen to foleys who pulled for B+I they disappered something to do with Charter Roadways or what

john did drive one hiself but i was only a kid and can’t remember much … couldnt tell you much about b+i, maybe some of the other lads on here might have some insight…

heres one of jb evans of llanmartin… pinched this from pete 359… thanks pete…

I worked for lexs transfleet out of manchester on the bell line cont

placidcasual:
Hi, I used to drive for Russell Bevan on and off for 3 years. He helped me through uni by giving me night runs to Tilbury, Liverpool plus Seawheel work etc. We used to do a lot of Bell Line work or Seawheel as went too. I spent alot of time at Avonmouth when it went over there. Many a good night with the Graham from CJ Morrris aka DANSAS (Day and night saturday and sunday), Delbert from CJ Morris, Flapper from Lloyds and others… I have pics somewhere…

I worked for Bevan in three stints between 1999 and 2003, driving an ERF on a H plate. Graham (buddy) and delbert from JIm Morris were great blokes. Last I heard, after Lloyds of Ludlow finished, Flapper was Driving for Jim Morris.

Not Bell Line Newport, this outfit was owned by Lex Transfleet and I drove it for three months out of Teesport, this was in1996, not the best job i’ve ever had.

R S Bevan Langstone hometown

chepstowchap:
R S Bevan Langstone hometown

great pic but theres a weight limit that way…he he…

not from newport but a dutch truck…

60561dewilde2.jpg