Bell lines newport

reg lewis with sugar trailer for cadburys.

Hi Chalky, i used to work for jm express 2001 to 2003 working out of tilbury and avonmouth,. I remember snowy and bazza. I also done a few months for russel and had that erf ec olympic. My mate martin ozzy osbourne had the seddon iveco strato.

I’m sure that Ollie Huish used that silver White Road Boss truck DOL 147V to transport Bell containers about. I remember it parked at Monmouth with the odd small container on.

Anyone remember fastening Bell boxes on with two chains in the days before everybody had twistlocks?
Wot’s Elf & Safety?
In the late 80s I had a job carrying the dregs of so-called “empty” boxes from Newport to Cadbury’s at Marlbrook. Took forever to load my tanker- seemed to be about half a ton in each box but Cadbury’s weren’t going to let a speck go to waste.

Not of the wagons but the business end of the Victoria Deep water Terminal in Greenwich, Bell Raider being loaded in the early 70’s

Frank Cassin Wharf, Waterford.

halfpint:
Hi Chalky, i used to work for jm express 2001 to 2003 working out of tilbury and avonmouth,. I remember snowy and bazza. I also done a few months for russel and had that erf ec olympic. My mate martin ozzy osbourne had the seddon iveco strato.

we lost snowy back in 2003 great guy…

Cockney Pete3:
Frank Cassin Wharf, Waterford.

great pics pete thanks…

I knew a bloke called Ronnie Parker whom I believe drove for John Beynon Evans at one time also a lad from Middleton Tyas who used to pull Bell boxes out of Newport his name was Billy Stainthorpe . Just one more brief connection a chap I know is currently restoring a 6x2 FB 88 rigid ex Swains of Stretton which used to pull a drawbar trailer on Bells. Think reg is SUX 592 R ?

Laurie Dryver:
I knew a bloke called Ronnie Parker whom I believe drove for John Beynon Evans at one time also a lad from Middleton Tyas who used to pull Bell boxes out of Newport his name was Billy Stainthorpe . Just one more brief connection a chap I know is currently restoring a 6x2 FB 88 rigid ex Swains of Stretton which used to pull a drawbar trailer on Bells. Think reg is SUX 592 R ?

hi laurie i knew ronnie parker well when i worked at jb evans not seen him for a while…
would love to see the 88 your restoring my grandad drove the f86 drawbar in bells. theres pics of it in the f86 thread…
paul.

chalkie wales:

halfpint:

we lost snowy back in 2003 great guy…

Eddie Nelson who worked at Altransport, Thermalite, Hazell’s then Russell Bevan for many years before heading into Tesco Chepstow may be known to a few on here…

halfpint:

Snowy with Bevan is a sadly missed fella! Basil (Bazza) taught me a hell of a lot about the job of being a lorry driver, and ive never forgotten it. He must be retired now, as he was two years older than God when i worked there! lol

bevan erf
still looking for more pics of bell line trucks lads dont have to be newport…

I don’t have any photo’s but i have memories of going out at 2 or 3am from bell port in newport in the late 70’s with my father in an old volvo f 86 ,i must have been 13 or 14 at the time. Allan jones was my fathers name ,he’s no longer with us as he died last year of the big C at the young age of 67 if anyone remembers him .

I remember seeing this many times in the '70’s/'80’s. used to park up at Monmouth. Thanks to Matt for the photo…

Me.Paul.101:
0I remember seeing this many times in the '70’s/'80’s. used to park up at Monmouth. Thanks to Matt for the photo…

Thats right, on the old Troy station site i think ,along with Eric Wards . regards Keith .

kingswinford kit:

Me.Paul.101:
0I remember seeing this many times in the '70’s/'80’s. used to park up at Monmouth. Thanks to Matt for the photo…

Thats right, on the old Troy station site i think ,along with Eric Wards . regards Keith .

Yes and he would sometimes park outside the Mayhill pub at the bottom of the hill and we also saw it parked up behind the flats opposite the Cross Keys pub at the top of Lydney…

Me.Paul.101:

kingswinford kit:

Me.Paul.101:

Yes and he would sometimes park outside the Mayhill pub at the bottom of the hill and we also saw it parked up behind the flats opposite the Cross Keys pub at the top of Lydney…

My dad Mike Thomas and my uncle Martin Thomas were the drivers of it from Monmouth .(The old man used to park it out side the Mayhill lol) my grandad Charlie Thomas also drove it he lived opposite the cross keys in lydney.

mthomelec:

Me.Paul.101:

kingswinford kit:

Me.Paul.101:

My dad Mike Thomas and my uncle Martin Thomas were the drivers of it from Monmouth .(The old man used to park it out side the Mayhill lol) my grandad Charlie Thomas also drove it he lived opposite the cross keys in lydney.

John Foley went as customs Manager at the north east depot;
From Greenore Ferry Services Preston .Feedback then that Bell line was the best
job he ever had think he lasted about 3 months.Anyone remember him.
GUESTY44

I lived in Lydney at the time and remember that White road Boss 2 DOL 147V parking up behind Lloyds banks opposite the Cross Keys pub, would probably have been late '70’s or early '80’s. We didn’t get to see many trucks like that around here…