Belgium and France

I’ve had a search on here and also read a few of the pinned topics, however…

We’ve got an 18t rigid which has been converted into a motorhome (although it’s still classed as rigid on the V5).

Apart from the usual stuff you need for driving in Europe, what else would I need bearing in mind that this is a private vehicle and not used for commercial or hire and reward?

I presume that we’ll still need the Eurovignette for Belgium (going from Dunkirk to Spa).

We have quite a few 2kg fire extinguishers dotted around the truck (cab and in the home bit at the back).

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

High viz vest or jacket to wear at the side of the road in case of a breakdown or may be fined and a tyre call out provider.A safe fitted to a secure area for valuables when not in the vehicle.No photocopies are accepted for the vehicle documents,only the originals.

Some decent and strong internal and external door and window locks to be fitted to deter opportunist petty theft.

If your going to the F1 you need me as a passenger :smiley: :smiley:
Many thanks in anticipation…

vodka-ad:

You could at least have offered to some / all of the driving :laughing: :laughing:

The Rustler:

vodka-ad:

You could at least have offered to some / all of the driving :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll do all the driving lol, less than 4hrs to Spa.

You will need your logbook, mot and insurance. maybe use the tacho just in case.
There are no tolls on the corridor between france and belgium.
get a vignette for the week or month, it works out much cheaper than buying it daily. i think it’s about 33 euros for 7 days.
if you do decide to have a run round france, get a tag and leave it as a hgv rather than a private vehicle. the tolls for hgvs are cheaper than the tolls for cars.

:smiley: lol thanks lads

Phil thanks for that; I guess you can get the French tags from the ferry port at Calais? I’ve tried online and it’s doing my head in trying to find a retailer…

I’ve got the link to the Eurovignette, and like you say it certainly does work out cheaper on a weekly basis.

Dave

davemfox:
:smiley: lol thanks lads

Phil thanks for that; I guess you can get the French tags from the ferry port at Calais? I’ve tried online and it’s doing my head in trying to find a retailer…

I’ve got the link to the Eurovignette, and like you say it certainly does work out cheaper on a weekly basis.

Dave

For France and spain these are as good as any.
as24.com/As24/as24-Website.n … enDocument
But remember you don’t pay any tolls for the corridor between france and belgium, so there may be no need to bother.
However, you can get a tag from most major peages. but it’s never the first one you come to :laughing: .

Phil, that’s great, thank you.

Anyone recommend any decent places to stop overnight - there’ll be me, mrs and two kids. Thinking overnight truck style stop that’s secure and has a good food place?

Dave

There’s no shortage of parking on the continent (apart from Germany).
But here’s a little tip. If you are heading back towards Dunkirk/Calais and you want to park up for the night, come off at the next junction and turn around to face away from the ports. much less chance of anyone stashing contraband or getting a clandestine on your back axle.

Hope this helps,costs for hgv are much more expensive than car on French motorways eg st omer-Paris hgv€60+.car about €25 not sure what limeyphil was on about.
As far as i know telepeage tags only available through fuel card company’s,French cars have them but i recon you would need a French address and bank account which would be debited don’t think they do a topup tag but don’t know this for sure take enough cash in case

nedbro:
Hope this helps,costs for hgv are much more expensive than car on French motorways eg st omer-Paris hgv€60+.car about €25 not sure what limeyphil was on about.
As far as i know telepeage tags only available through fuel card company’s,French cars have them but i recon you would need a French address and bank account which would be debited don’t think they do a topup tag but don’t know this for sure take enough cash in case

I got a new tag in bonneville. so i know it’s not just through fuel card companies.
the price for trucks is cheaper than cars, it keeps them off the nationals. the price is worked out in such a way that it dosn’t make it cost efficient to use the nationals. fuel consumption is higher on the nationals than the motorways, the difference in the two works out at roughly what you pay in tolls. i last checked the prices quite a while ago, but i’m sure they are nowhere near what you have quoted.

Nationals can be a right pain, full of combines and tractors, and every man and his dog going south to the sunny beaches.

Sorry mate but your wronge hgv are well over double the price of cars unless its changed within the year we know have tag from dkv so go thro not seeing cost but a year ago we had to get ticket then pay by card st omer/senlis Paris was over €60 big signs showing price for cars about €25from st omer+€20from lille .also as ex o/d it was over€50 8yrs ago i know i paid the bills .

I pay the bill

Vans 7.5toner artics

Cheapest vAn class 2
Then 2axle rigid class 3
Artic class4
Tag or no tag artic nearly double
You do get bit of discount with tag but not alot
Il dig out a invoice for last month
Remember an was 118euro incl vat calais to blanc
Artic alot more
Can only get tag for class 3 and 4 from fuel card companies

250 euros approx for artic incl vat

With tag got 20 euros discount overall

So artic is 110 euro more expensive
Van clas 2 van and car cheaper again

Info from dkv invoice
May 2013

The above quotes regarding tolls may well be correct, but i was refering to car prices v hgv prices, not vans v hgv’s.
The prices may very well have altered over the years, but last time i looked at it, cars were charged more than trucks. it may have been a seasonal thing where they slapped the tourist. i’ll try to get some up to date prices one way or the other.

Ok Phil im not trying to cause a argument but would like to know if u get any info cheers