BEEP BEEP caution this vehicle is turning

Left the yard last night after finishing my shift and was behind a tractor unit on his way to pick up a trailer. The unit had one of these fitted

pownall.co.uk/left-right-turn-warning

So as I am following him through the town and as it happened the same direction as my fellow driver in the unit, every single turn he made there was this horrendous loud din “BEEP BEEP Warning this vehicle is turning [left/right]”. Friday night people are going out and they were just pointing at the driver and laughingly mocking him. As if it is the divers fault.

Sorry if it has been discussed before I could not find a thread

OMG just realised imagine if you are the permanent driver of one of these vehicles. I would be tempted to never use my indicator again!

I suppose the ideas ok, but if the cyclist (or whatever) is wearing headphones, which many do, then it’s totally useless.

Can’t they be turned off like reversing warning sounds?

Wouldn’t they fall into the same category as reversing ‘beepers’ and not be allowed to be used between 2300 - 0700 is it?

A.

We’ve got these on all our wagons but only for left turns, they can’t be turned off at night. You get used to it after a while but what is a lot more annoying is the sensors that activate a loud buzzer in the cab if there’s a cyclist at your nearside while your indicating left, or a bush, or a barrier, or a cat, or a pebble or not even that close if it’s been raining. I want to smash the ■■■■■■■ thing with a hammer but imagine how that would go down with the handwringing dailymailers if someone got hurt because I didn’t see them in my mirror or my wide angle mirror or my kerb mirror or my corner blind spot mirror or my window fresnel lens thing. I challenge anyone to hide anything on my nearside!

alder:
OMG just realised imagine if you are the permanent driver of one of these vehicles. I would be tempted to never use my indicator again!

You do realise BMW have been fitting these to their cars for the last 20 years, don’t you?

We’ve got these on all our new vehicles, part of the FORS requirement for London, you get used to it after a while and seems to make people who are usually oblivious stand back from the kerb as your turning.

How does this assist deaf people?

Fincham:

Yeah, won’t someone think of deaf people!!
Well, it makes a change from thinking of the children… :wink:

alder:

Just had one fitted to my lorry, left turns only. It is a right [zb]ing pain in the arse. It still shouts “Caution! Vehicle turning left!” after I’ve finished turning left, so I might then be turning right but my lorry is still announcing to anybody within a mile that I’m turning left. Stupid [zb]ing thing. It really does make you not want to indicate left.

Adonis.:
Wouldn’t they fall into the same category as reversing ‘beepers’ and not be allowed to be used between 2300 - 0700 is it?

You’d think so. Mine is far louder and far more annoying than any reversing bleeper.

The company has already had several complaints from local residents.

Fincham:

It does not. But then again, conventional indicators don’t assist blind people either.

Roymondo:

Fincham:

It does not. But then again, conventional indicators don’t assist blind people either.

And none of it assists the terminally stupid

Les Shoes:

Roymondo:

Fincham:

maybey someone could invent big truck size trafficators again so we could give the deaf numptys a slap going past them??

images.jpg

6329053941_8ae7c7a844_b.jpg

Some of our tippers have them for left turn only, thankfully mine doesn’t (yet) :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

Les Shoes:

Roymondo:

Fincham:

maybey someone could invent big truck size trafficators again so we could give the deaf numptys a slap going past them??

You just reminded me of when I first drove trucks over here in '74. I had an old petrol engined V8 Dodge with two levers on the back of the cab, connected to a bloody big steel hand that came up from behind the cab when you pulled one of the levers. I’d be tempted to sit there waiting for a prat on a bike to come up the n/s so I could knock some sense into him.

it is intended as a extra safety for cyclists, but it is counter productive. The LOUD buzzer in cab makes your brain vibrate in your head. I stopped using left indicator up to a last second i turn to minimize the time i have to suffer. Makes it safer for other users, not so much if a driver cant bear to indicate for medical or mental reasons to come.

I hate the device. Not the voice BUT the buzzer in cab. It is unbearable. BIG thanks to ■■■■ name BORIS Jonson, ■■■■ of London.

it amazes me how there inventing things for the cab and the driver these days that should be helpful but i can not see the sense in half of the things they come out with, i wonder if the driving standard is so low now that these devices are needed to be fitted ?

is it the fact drivers drive to fast, there not checking there mirrors, to see whats going on, or are they so fixed on there sat nav that there not paying full attention ?

there must be an increase in cyclists accidents for these things to be introduced otherwise they would of had them fitted years ago

anyway i think the best aid they should have in a cab is a height indicator something that can read the height of the trailer you have picked up and flash it up on the screen so the driver knows with certainty but as far as i know its never been done

it would deffo get a thumb up from me should some bright spark invent such a thing that would be in all cabs and i think most drivers would welcome it to

as for a beep beep for turning left or right well i dont understand why its felt the need to have them unless of course its proof that the drivers of today just lack the skills of the old guys.

Fincham:

I guess they figured a braille warning on the side of the unit would be slightly more hazardous for said people to get the message, hence the speech warning and led strobes

Dan ze Man:
it is intended as a extra safety for cyclists, but it is counter productive. The LOUD buzzer in cab makes your brain vibrate in your head. I stopped using left indicator up to a last second i turn to minimize the time i have to suffer. Makes it safer for other users, not so much if a driver cant bear to indicate for medical or mental reasons to come.

I hate the device. Not the voice BUT the buzzer in cab. It is unbearable. BIG thanks to ■■■■ name BORIS Jonson, [zb] of London.

Disconnect the ■■■■■■ thing, or tape up the bit where the buzzer screeches at you to muffle or block the sound. Who thinks up these ■■■■■■ stupid ideas? :unamused: