Been offered 2 jobs. Looking for thoughts

So, I am still a newbie, 9 months in and done 7.5t home delivery for 6 months and then 3 months on nights doing RDC to store work. Nights not for me, so wanted a change. Sent of a flurry of applications and had 2 interviews this morning.

Gerrards of Swinton
Elis Chorley

Gerrards is tipper work. A few posts on here about them. Told me about the unpaid training, which ok, not entirely happy about that but could be useful in the long run to gain the experience. If anyones been on the dole over the past 20 years, a couple of days free training isn’t the end of the world and at least there’d be something at the end of it… right? My quick maths puts it around £27-30000 per year for 5 days.

Elis, well it’s basically cage work for hotel chains. Used to be called Berendsen. I do cage work currently so not a massive leap.

So Gerrards state they pay £105 per shift, 5am starts, 3pm finishes and then you are paid £12 per hour if you still have a load after that. Not incredible money but I’ve always wanted to do tippers and theres not many opportunities for newbies.

Elis is £12.50 per hour, flexible start times from 4-8am.

I’ve got a couple of weeks to decide, and a few more interviews lined up as well as a couple of agencies. Just want to get off nights, got 3 kids under 5 so don’t want to be sleeping all day, especially while they are off.

Anyone had experience with either, any insight into them, good or bad? Or any other tips on employers hiring for day drivers?

Perhaps it’s changed since I did it but when I started on bulk tippers in 1988 I had about 10 minutes’ training. :wink:

cage work for hotel chains. Laundry? Just think what is on/in the dirty laundry :open_mouth:

SWEDISH BLUE:
cage work for hotel chains. Laundry? Just think what is on/in the dirty laundry :open_mouth:

Go with which one you like the sound of better. Good luck with it mate and if you make the wrong decision then there are lots of others to choose from.

Forget the agency , you’ve young kids , mortgage I’d guess , you need sick pay , holiday pay etc ,

I did a CPC course with fella who works for for Gerrard’s.
Was talking to him.
On not more than minimum wage.
But earn more get a bonus if.they can get in a 3rd or 4 th load in during the day.
If lucky don’t get hold.ups etc he said.you can get a 3rd load done.

I asked as there always advertising and I was tempted to apply but never did. As I don’t Wana be running around trying earn more money

With kids look for a full time job.Y

edd1974:
I did a CPC course with fella who works for for Gerrard’s.
Was talking to him.
On not more than minimum wage.
But earn more get a bonus if.they can get in a 3rd or 4 th load in during the day.
If lucky don’t get hold.ups etc he said.you can get a 3rd load done.

I asked as there always advertising and I was tempted to apply but never did. As I don’t Wana be running around trying earn more money

This is my concern. It’s a day rate so a long day can mean you are making NMW, or even less.

They did tell me you get additional payments after 3pm if you still have a load but nothing about bonus payments. 3pm would be a 10 hour shift already.

I do like the idea of the job, something I’ve wanted to do but I also like getting paid enough to live without counting pennies.

Think I’ll do a run down of the costs of living v the probable income.

SWEDISH BLUE:

Can’t be much worse than the recycled mattresses we had to collect from people’s homes at Benson’s. Some of them were 30+ years old :open_mouth:

M65Chris:
So, I am still a newbie, 9 months in and done 7.5t home delivery for 6 months and then 3 months on nights doing RDC to store work. Nights not for me, so wanted a change. Sent of a flurry of applications and had 2 interviews this morning.

Gerrards of Swinton
Elis Chorley

Gerrards is tipper work. A few posts on here about them. Told me about the unpaid training, which ok, not entirely happy about that but could be useful in the long run to gain the experience. If anyones been on the dole over the past 20 years, a couple of days free training isn’t the end of the world and at least there’d be something at the end of it… right? My quick maths puts it around £27-30000 per year for 5 days.

Elis, well it’s basically cage work for hotel chains. Used to be called Berendsen. I do cage work currently so not a massive leap.

So Gerrards state they pay £105 per shift, 5am starts, 3pm finishes and then you are paid £12 per hour if you still have a load after that. Not incredible money but I’ve always wanted to do tippers and theres not many opportunities for newbies.

Elis is £12.50 per hour, flexible start times from 4-8am.

I’ve got a couple of weeks to decide, and a few more interviews lined up as well as a couple of agencies. Just want to get off nights, got 3 kids under 5 so don’t want to be sleeping all day, especially while they are off.

Anyone had experience with either, any insight into them, good or bad? Or any other tips on employers hiring for day drivers?

both crap pay
the tipper boys will run your ■■■ ragged for what will end up being minimum pay

M65Chris:
Elis, well it’s basically cage work for hotel chains.

hotel

Ehh, I would steer clear from that line of work for the next few years.

£100 for a ten hour shift ain’t great tbh.

If you don’t mind the stigma of doing waste collection you can get £14.60 p/h from the big boys like Veolia/Suez etc. It’s not particularly gruelling once you know your route. I collect cardboard and don’t get dirty at all. Although, that said I’ve just accepted a mixer job on £36.5k as fancied a change.

^^^^ +1. Get on waste/recycle. about 06.00 start and finish around 15/15.03.

It seems you’re edging towards the tippers, as it’s something you’ve always fancied. It may be poor pay, but it’s a foot in the door for a newbie. If nothing better comes along, go for it for 6 months. Get some experience then look for better pay. It’s a kind of loss leader…

SWEDISH BLUE:
^^^^ +1. Get on waste/recycle. about 06.00 start and finish around 15/15.03.

That’s a small, and fairly accurate finishing window. :laughing:

At a time of great feast for drivers, which wont last for ever, you’re eyeing up a pot noodle…WHY?

205:
At a time of great feast for drivers, which wont last for ever, you’re eyeing up a pot noodle…WHY?

+1…

There are much better driving jobs out there right now.

yourhavingalarf:

205:

+1…

There are much better driving jobs out there right now.

No doubt there are better ‘paid’ jobs out there. Jobs that’ll get you that steak, but if the OP has a taste for pot noodle, and this is the only shop selling to newbies, he’s right to go YTS and get some experience. Maybe next year there’ll be a steak flavoured pot noodle at the end of his rainbow.
Enough with the metaphors already!!!

Appreciate the replies. I know there’s better out there and I am sending off applications, making calls etc.

Got an interview with Wren on Friday, money’s decent but 2 man team, kitchens… Not feeling it tbh but will see what they are offering.

M65Chris:
Appreciate the replies. I know there’s better out there and I am sending off applications, making calls etc.

Got an interview with Wren on Friday, money’s decent but 2 man team, kitchens… Not feeling it tbh but will see what they are offering.

Which Wren depot mate?

I was recently passed and went to work for Wren and tbh mate it is spot on.

Hard graft dont get me wrong and pretty back breaking stuff but keeps you fit, monye’s spot on and you sort of know where you stand with shifts and start times. Everyone seems helpful as well